Independent Suspension using 14 Bolt F/R.. Will it Work?? - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 788985
Started trimming the fat off the housing this morning..

crcarson26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 AM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 189239
Btt. Updates for us?
YROC FAB. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by YROC FAB. View Post
Btt. Updates for us?
X2

Definitely intrested to see how this turns out.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 788985
Hey Guys, Sorry for the delay.. Updates on the buggy are all in software.. I have been working on the chassis, and integrating all the drivetrain components in CAD first, rather than chopping up a solid axle chassis and trying to make things fit.. I have been making alot of progress behind the scenes.. But sadly not much drivetrain goodies to add yet. I have also been working on the rig that will haul the buggy!!

Took delivery of this guy recently.. Will be a Flat-Bed Crawler Hauler!

And yes, those are 46's

Let me know what you think!!

Old 06-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #105 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Wanna post some pics of the rear suspension? I wanna see how they did the links on that.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #106 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Interesting! Keep us updated on the hauler build too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 03:51 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 522721
Neighbors rejoicing stoked seeing the parked beast
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 135683
Sweet truck man! I would throw another set of the front springs under the back and go 4x4 on it VS 6x6 just to reduce tires on ground and free up some weight and hp\tq loss. My only warnings if you never had a military truck like this before would be prepare to either do a gear swap or trim for the 14.00r20-16.00r20's if you want to drive on interstate for any amount of time and leave yourself about extra hour to get anywhere since you will be spending time talking to be people at fuel stops lol.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 788985
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Wanna post some pics of the rear suspension? I wanna see how they did the links on that.

Heres some pics of the rear suspension..

Old 06-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 788985
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Sweet truck man! I would throw another set of the front springs under the back and go 4x4 on it VS 6x6 just to reduce tires on ground and free up some weight and hp\tq loss. My only warnings if you never had a military truck like this before would be prepare to either do a gear swap or trim for the 14.00r20-16.00r20's if you want to drive on interstate for any amount of time and leave yourself about extra hour to get anywhere since you will be spending time talking to be people at fuel stops lol.

Yeah there are guys out there that convert to 4x4.. but then its basically an M1078.. I bought this rig because it was a 6x6 and plan to keep it that way.. It tracks way better on the highway, and the fuel milage difference is not noticeable.. They get 8 MPG no matter what.. Also, more tires actually helps in the mud, snow, and sand, especially when I have the buggy on the back.. it has the CTIS system that airs down the tires for Sand, Mud, etc. to increase surface area of the tires.. It works really well..

I have looked into putting 53" tires on it.. There are YouTube videos of guys who have done it, but they are just too big for the truck. The front tires rub while articulating/steering, and the rears get way too close to each other while off road as well. I may go with some Michelin XL 49" tires however.. This size is the largest you can go without problems..

Currently the governor limits the top speed to ~57 MPH.. Not too bad for road trips, but there is a third member swap you can do, which pulls diffs out of another large/heavy hauler in the military called an MRAP, which lowers the diff from 3.90:1 to 3.07:1.. This allows you to cruise at 65-70 MPH while keeping the RPM happy.. Got these diffs scheduled to be changed out this summer.. Going to start building the tilt-bed/flat-bed in the coming weeks..

Last edited by crcarson26; 06-30-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #111 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 356210
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcarson26 View Post
Getting the brakes figured out is a little tricky. Going with too large of a rotor does create a concern with ground clearance. Using a rotor too small won't allow the caliper to mount properly without interfering with the diff housing. Hmmmm
Trying to learn here... if ground clearance is a concern, why not mount the brake at the other end of the driveshaft?
496&44s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 788985
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496&44s View Post
Trying to learn here... if ground clearance is a concern, why not mount the brake at the other end of the driveshaft?
Yes this is an option as well.. And it is an option some guys go with on rock bouncers. The problem with that is fitment gets even tighter in the transfer case area when you have rotors and calipers up there.. My plan is to use this area for a small parking brake rather than main brakes.. Will help save the U-Joints a little as well.. I don't think my diffs will be that much lower than my t-case, but we will see..

T. Cameron did something similar to what you mentioned..

Last edited by crcarson26; 07-10-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 AM   #113 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcarson26 View Post
Heres some pics of the rear suspension..

Weld retainers on those dog bones. The bushings dry out and you loose them.

Big washers work.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in