2019: SM465 refresh, any gotchas or good sources? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
2019: SM465 refresh, any gotchas or good sources?

I picked up an earlier 2wd SM465 that I will be mounting behind a big block of some sort. I will be using an Advance Adapters adapter to mount a Land Cruiser split case behind it.

The gears are in amazing shape. The shifting chevrons are very crisp and defined. There is no chipping. There is a little bit of surface rust but of no concern.

I am wanted to replace the bearings, syncros, seals, and gaskets. Any good sources for refresh kits? I know Novak is about $220.

My understanding is the third gear popout issue is fixed with a spacer on the counter shaft. At ~$22, not a bad deal so any reason not to?

The top cover shift forks all have teflon coating issues. Rather than replacing the shift forks, I beleive I want to get the later model aluminum shift cover. My understanding is the aluminum cover will bolt to the earlier SM465. Any good sources?

I've watched several videos on doing the rebuild and it doesn't look too difficult. Are there any gotchas I should be concerened over?

What other upgrades should I be looking at?

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
@AlxJ64 rebuilt one for his tj build about 10 years ago. Maybe he can chime in.

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior

Last edited by jhama78; 04-26-2019 at 07:13 PM.
jhama78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
I actually used the Novak Kit myself. It is rather easy but can be cumbersome, I gave myself the worst bruised thumbnail I've had in my life. I went ahead and put new sintered iron bushings on mine as well when I was doing it. Get someone to help you with the first gear mainshaft reinstall as it is awkward and that's what smashed my thumb when first gear landed back in place. Overall they are great transmissions and are really easy to work on. I wheeled the snot out of mine in a TJ for years and regret nothing about having it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
I had one in my old FJ40 back in late 90s. No complaints. For this upcoming project of an infrequent Sierra foothill tow rig, I can't justify an NV4500

Thank you for the comment on Novak. Were the bearings a quality brand? The last transfer case rebuild kit I bought had some garbage off-brand Chinese bearings

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in