Is it possible to convert early 70s c10 gas tank to intank pump? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Is it possible to convert early 70s c10 gas tank to intank pump?

Title basically states it.

The tank I'm talking about is the in the cab style. Here is the tank I'm talking about:

Longer:
I'm doing a project(FJ55) that this tank will fit nicely and is priced nicely new. I will have the tank external of the cab I am creating.

I'm looking to do a TBI conversion and really want to have the pump in tank. Last two EFI conversion I did with external pumps sucked because of the overly loud pump whine. Loud enough to hear over the exhaust.
Attached Images

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Sure, im sure any number of chevy resto places offer a factory conversion. As well as mfg your own from a tbi setup.

Or just use any one of a fist full of suitable external pumps like the common walbro.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
I am looking to do something similar in the same tank. I have not found anyone that has done it or offers a tank for that.

I think you could use a modified pickup tube, or cut a hole next to the stock location. I have not had a chance to measure a tank to confirm, though.

All the chevy resto places swap to a rear mounted tank.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
Sure, im sure any number of chevy resto places offer a factory conversion. As well as mfg your own from a tbi setup.

Or just use any one of a fist full of suitable external pumps like the common walbro.
As noted, I've already used 'suitable' external pumps and they all sucked. Extremely loud and annoying. I could always turn the radio to max or run a straight exhaust to over power it

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post
I am looking to do something similar in the same tank. I have not found anyone that has done it or offers a tank for that.

I think you could use a modified pickup tube, or cut a hole next to the stock location. I have not had a chance to measure a tank to confirm, though.

All the chevy resto places swap to a rear mounted tank.
So far, my quick bing search has shown the same results: swap to rear mounted tank for EFI.

I was thinking the same thing for modifications... cut the stock location out, weld in a flat spot on top with ~3" hole, then use a bunch of thread serts and a retaining ring to secure the pump.

The number I found for the tank was: 60" wide, 16 3/4" tall, 7 1/4" deep

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56831
I am wanting to understand how big that flat section is, so you wouldnt have to modify the whole tank.

I have been looking at the holley efi setups. They arent cheap, but are fairly easy to install (dont need the nutserts and rings). Something like this, if it would fit: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-136

But you might could use the stock pickup with a Holley (or other) intank pump, similar to how they make these: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-308

From what I have seen, the new repop tanks have a seperate return inlet built it, so that you can run EFI. 71+ also had an extra vent line, iirc.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
I had a custom gas tank made for one of my FJ55s. It was a square baffled aluminum tank. I used a 99 Camaro fuel pump assembly:

The tank was 33"x29"x10" or about 40 gallons

As you can see, I used the method I described. It has no leaks and no smell what so ever.

My thought with the in cab tank is to cut the stock sending unit recess out and weld in a flat piece of metal to provide a flat spot for a similar mod as above.

I would then use a stock S10 pump assembly with potentially longer legs to reach the bottom of the tank. The Camaro pump is shorter than the S10; 10" versus 15".
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 127739
I did it on '71 with a Holley terminator. Custom set up as I couldn't find anyone that made a kit at the time.

See post #10 in the thread linked below for the details.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chev...2016-prep.html
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73SII View Post
I did it on '71 with a Holley terminator. Custom set up as I couldn't find anyone that made a kit at the time.

See post #10 in the thread linked below for the details.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chev...2016-prep.html
Thank you VERY much for the link and information. For future folks here is direct link to post:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/37595945-post10.html

Who's bulkhead fitting did you use for the external of the tank?

How is the Hydramat working for you?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 127739
Glad I could help!

The bulk head I used is from Tanks Inc. It worked out, but isn't the easiest thing to install. There is a ring that goes into the tank and several little screws that draw the ring up and sandwich the tank. The holes have to be drilled very accurately to prevent binding. The threads on the ring are pretty soft and I stripped one of them cause it was really difficult to get everything lined up.

Holley now makes a module that looks really nice. It looks bigger than the Tanks Inc part, so it may be difficult to fit.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-136

The Hydramat is awesome! It will drain the tank completely dry. The return line is set up to flow right onto the mat. So even with the tank low I have never had fuel starvation at extreme angles.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73SII View Post
Glad I could help!

The bulk head I used is from Tanks Inc. It worked out, but isn't the easiest thing to install. There is a ring that goes into the tank and several little screws that draw the ring up and sandwich the tank. The holes have to be drilled very accurately to prevent binding. The threads on the ring are pretty soft and I stripped one of them cause it was really difficult to get everything lined up.

Holley now makes a module that looks really nice. It looks bigger than the Tanks Inc part, so it may be difficult to fit.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-136

The Hydramat is awesome! It will drain the tank completely dry. The return line is set up to flow right onto the mat. So even with the tank low I have never had fuel starvation at extreme angles.
I helped a friend install the Holley setup in another vehicle. The way it tightens down is very nice. The downside here is, the hole you drill into the tank is the same size as the OD of the ring it looks like you used (based on the Tanks Inc site). Not sure if there is enough room for the cap to fit tight and seal.

Im guessing that nothing in your setup bothered the factory send unit/float?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 127739
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post

Im guessing that nothing in your setup bothered the factory send unit/float?
Correct. The factory float and sending unit is untouched. I just cut off the fuel outlet and TIGed it closed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in