4x4 newbie questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 868520
4x4 newbie questions

Ok. I'm building 2 trucks. The first is an 86 K20. It is a 350, turbo 400, I'm not sure of the transfer case, but it does have lock put hubs, I think a dana 60 front, and the semi float 14 bolt rear. The plan for this truck is a 6.0 lq4 with a moderate truck cam, an upgrade to the broken 14 bolt, (probably a full float 14 bolt) a 4 or preferably 5 speed swap, 35s, and creature comforts. So far I have found a good late 70s frame with axles and transfer case for around $700, I believe it to be 4.10s, but it doesn't have lockout hubs, I'm not sure what that's about. This truck will primarily be a cruiser that occasionally pulls a horse trailer or camper. It's for the old lady, and she's rough on a vehicle. She has smooth worn out 2 half ton trucks in the past 6 years... Upgrade time. Ultimately I'm trying to build the most reliable truck I can to fit the needs she has and her lead foot.
The second truck is for me to occasionally haul a car trailer and drive occasionally. It is an 82 C20. Used to have a 6.2 diesel and turbo 400. It had a gas engine at some point, now it has no engine at all, a turbo 400 and the same semi float 14 bolt. Plan to make this one 4wd as well, hence the extra frame. What I don't know is what transfer case(s) to use, adapter, etc, if the front axle is stout enough in either the k20 or the donor truck, or if I'm missing anything drivetrain wise. I also can get axles our of a 99ish diesel dodge for the price of pulling the motor out of the truck for the guy, but I don't know if they'll work in any way, shape or form... Any input is appreciated...
hiroshima1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 188882
the k20 shouldnt have 60/14bolt

it should be a 10/12bolt (weak)

i dont frequent the chevy sub very often, so i dont know the typical greetings here...

use the search newb!
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 868520
I've searched for hours. Most of my questions, I couldn't find any definitive answers for...

Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 343
Well, it's an 86 K20 so I believe it would be a 10 bolt front and SF14or FF14 rear depending a GVW rating...of course things may have been swapped around in it's roughly 33 year life....

….Oh, and either of the above axles are fine with 35'S and tow duty. I'd rebuild everything you have for the 86 and as far as the missing 6.2D...replace with 6.2

Last edited by cj8scrambld; 05-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
So you just want to know what t-case to use behind a Vortec swap?

Your post is ridiculously hard to follow. It doesn't even seem like you understand what you have or what is available to use.

If all you're trying to do is build two K series pick ups that will hauls some 8k lb trailers, the answer is simple. Stuff a 6.0/4l80 combo in. Then just re-use the t-case from your turbo 400. The truck without locking hubs is most likely a 203 truck. The one with locking hubs probably used a 208 or 205. Either case will work perfectly.

If you want a manual, just back your Lq9 with an nv4500 and the same 208 or 205.

You're not building a rock crawler. So just keep it simple. Passenger drop, 32 spline GM cases are what you are looking for.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 868520
Are either the 205 or 208 as described above direct bolt on to the nv4500? Or is an adapter required? I'm trying to balance ease of finding and installing parts, cost, and reliability. At the same time, junk costs more in the long run, so finding the strongest combination that won't break the bank is the goal. Sorry for the confusing post.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
You'll need an adapter for the 205. The 208 will used the same round bolt pattern.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 868520
I'm having a little trouble finding a 14 bolt full float for my truck. I can find them easily for newer trucks, but I know they're not a direct bolt on because of the spring perches, and they're wider, but I haven't found how much wider, and I've searched. Here and Google searches. I would run one, possibly with a different offset wheel, if I'd wasn't too much difference. Is there anyone out there that knows the wms on both a square body 14 bolt and the newer ones? Both the 89-98 and the newer ones. Maybe one from a van?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Van is the widest, then SRW and DRW being the narrowest.

I do believe the width is the same between the earlier (drum) and later (disc) models, as earlier shafts go into later housings.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166653
I have built several 73-87 Chevy trucks. The reason they are so popular is that everything interchange. They are the AR-15's of trucks as every aftermarket part is available for them and with some exceptions you can use parts from 67-72 and 88- 95. After 95 lots of things went to computers and you have to know what you are doing to make them work.
As was mentioned if the front axle has drive flanges instead of hubs it was a full time NP203 truck. Nothing wrong with those axles but the front end will always be spinning.
At some point in the 80's Chevy started making a light 3/4 ton that used the 9.5 inch 14 bolt semifloater. They used the same rear end on the later Z71 package. Around the same time they replaced the 12 bolt rear with the lighter 10 bolt. This is also when they went to a 10 bolt front instead of the Dana 44. In other words trucks from the 70's have stronger axles although if it was a one ton it has a Dana 60 up front (until IFS) and the FF 14 bolt. It really shouldn't be hard to find a FF 14 bolt as long as you are willing to rebuild it.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 747081
Moving the perch's out an inch each is half the job swapping to a 14FF, the shock mounts also have to be moved front to back.

If you know someone with a reasonable sized mig, side grinder, center punch, hammer and a magnetic protractor it's a 3-4 hr job tops.

Or call up some mobile welder outfits.

You may luck out as the drive shaft will work as or you may have to get a conversion joint, go to any parts store worth it's sign with both joints and they get you the right on.

I have done lots of 14SF to 14FF so I walk you though it.
MbBigBurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 66341
Half ton and 3/4 ton trucks have a spring perch width of 42.5 inches, while 1 ton are 40.5 to clear the larger drums on the 1 ton. 3/4 ton 14bff axles are cheap. Go to the nearest wrecking yard and tell them you want a rebuildable core, rather than a 'good' one, and you should be out for $100 or so. You want to rebuild it and regear anyway, so there is no sense in paying more for an allegedly good one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in