400 SBC Edlebrock 5002 Cam - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 854666
400 SBC Edlebrock 5002 Cam

Hey all, I recently bought a 406 SBC for a damn good deal ( 440$ nothing wrong with it, knifed crank, timing chain and cam ). It has a cam in it currently and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. The cam is an Edlebrock 5002 Torker cam. I haven't been able to find much on it besides it just being for sale and a couple reviews that don't say anything more than they like it. Specs are:

Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,500-6,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 234
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232 int./234 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 292
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 300
Advertised Duration: 292 int./300 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 int./0.488 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 108

I'm not the greatest with cam specs but I'm assuming this might not work well in an offroad vehicle ? I l'm mostly in the mud so the rpm range being moved up shouldn't be a huge issue as I'm usually around 2500-3500 rpm while in first or granny gear on my sm465. Would this cam work for a typical offroad 406 ? I don't plan on making it anything crazy maybe some vortec heads or 195cc aluminum heads with a RPM air gap and flat top pistons with 5.7 rods. I don't plan on spinning more than 6000, 6200 tops, and I don't plan on more than 450 horse 500lb ft. If the cam isn't terrible is just saved me money but I don't mind buying another one.
BigRedGMC91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Looks like a good cam. It will give you a nice idle rumble, and some good flow numbers with the lift and duration. Looks like an agressive RV cam. So very good mid to high mid-range rpm use. I would get some good valve springs and be sure to check piston clearances with the heads on the block with no gasket. This will simulate the worst case instance of valve float you could get if you need to throttle to redline for extended periods.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 854666
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
Looks like a good cam. It will give you a nice idle rumble, and some good flow numbers with the lift and duration. Looks like an agressive RV cam. So very good mid to high mid-range rpm use. I would get some good valve springs and be sure to check piston clearances with the heads on the block with no gasket. This will simulate the worst case instance of valve float you could get if you need to throttle to redline for extended periods.
You think I'll pick up anything down low ? Or will I just feel it all mid to high ?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
You will lose a little bit down low, actually. But not enough to notice it. It seems counter intuitive, I know. But when an engine can breathe really easy with a really good cam or high flowing heads, you lose torque on the bottom end because its easier to slow the engines rotation. Think of your engines guts as a big heavy flywheel. Once it starts spinning, its a bitch to stop it. The heavier the flywheel, the more force there is behind it. A lightweight flywheel is easier to stop but spins up to speed much faster. Your engine working to pull air/fuel into its cylinders acts like that added weight. Once it gets easier to pull that air in, it also becomes easier to slow it down, like a lighter flywheel. The trick is finding that right balance. With your displacement, that engine will be quite happy with the cam you found. You'll lose a little bit of power down low because its now easier to spin its guts. But you make up for it in just shear mass of the rotating assembly.
Id say, off idle to about 1700 you lose about 12hp, max. But you will make that up very much from 1700 on up. Snappier throttle response. That sort of thing.

Last edited by SMC; 05-28-2019 at 09:29 PM.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 854666
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
You will lose a little bit down low, actually. But not enough to notice it. It seems counter intuitive, I know. But when an engine can breathe really easy with a really good cam or high flowing heads, you lose torque on the bottom end because its easier to slow the engines rotation. Think of your engines guts as a big heavy flywheel. Once it starts spinning, its a bitch to stop it. The heavier the flywheel, the more force there is behind it. A lightweight flywheel is easier to stop but spins up to speed much faster. Your engine working to pull air/fuel into its cylinders acts like that added weight. Once it gets easier to pull that air in, it also becomes easier to slow it down, like a lighter flywheel. The trick is finding that right balance. With your displacement, that engine will be quite happy with the cam you found. You'll lose a little bit of power down low because its now easier to spin its guts. But you make up for it in just shear mass of the rotating assembly.
Id say, off idle to about 1700 you lose about 12hp, max. But you will make that up very much from 1700 on up. Snappier throttle response. That sort of thing.
Ok sir that makes sense, I think I'll leave it in there for budget sake and hopefully she does pretty good. Thank you sir!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 343
Just a quick note on swapping heads on a 400 (applies to stock 400 blocks)…….steam holes need to be drilled if not already done.
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
That is an excellent cam for general street use.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
108 lobe sep, it wont have much vac and should be pretty choppy. A stall conv will light that thing up.

Its right on the verg of needing s rew in rocker studs aswell, so use good heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 854666
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
108 lobe sep, it wont have much vac and should be pretty choppy. A stall conv will light that thing up.

Its right on the verg of needing s rew in rocker studs aswell, so use good heads.
Ok thanks sir, I plan on using some blueprint engines 185cc aluminum heads so hopefully itís good enough for that cam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in