DANA 60 POWER STEERING - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 861344
Question DANA 60 POWER STEERING

I recently installed a completely rebuilt dana 60 front axle in my 70 k20 but Ive noticed that my power steering seems to struggle to pivot my axle, especially when standing still. Does anyone know of a solution or do I need to put in a hydro boost system? On that subject, do hydro boost systems run the power steering at a higher pressure or pump more volume? Could I put a smaller pulley on my pump to create more pressure or volume? Thanks for any replies.
whiplashcolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb

Member # 10903
The stock power steering should turn the D60 as easily as it did a 1/2 ton axle, you either have an issue with the steering system (to include the gear box, linkage, etc) or the D60.

Struggle when - sitting in the driveway or going down the road?

If while driving, do you have locking hubs or drive flanges? Locker?

Did the system work good prior to the new axle?

Has it been sitting for a long time?

Has the hydraulic part of the power steering system been opened at all or remained open for a period of time?

With the axle on jack stands does it turn easily by hand?

'91 K5 454, 4spd, Doubler, J76/70HD, 5.86's & 43's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nvrenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 861344
I installed a offroad designs cross over steering for what they say is a 4 to 6 in lift, my truck has a 4 in skyjacker softride system, but when I lowered the truck down onto the tires the cross over drag link isn't flat. the drag link has two bends in it to compensate for the lift, as in it should come off the pitman arm flat the bend down and then go flat again to the steering arm, but mine comes off the pitman arm the tilts up towards the motor then the bend and then its below the center line of the steering arm so it goes up towards the steering arm. and ive noticed that sitting in the driveway it turns fine to the right but trying to turn it back to the left is where its struggling. I was thinking it might be the draglink binding because the geometry isn't correct.

I wish adding pictures was as easy as browsing your photos instead of having to add a link. I added a link to a pic but it didn't show up

Last edited by whiplashcolo; 06-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.
whiplashcolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 35786
Bends in the draglink don't affect geometry and don't affect power. All the geometry is through an imaginary line from pitman arm to steering arm, the draglink could be shaped like a crazy straw and still have no effect on geometry.

The reason we bend the draglink in that application is both to take angle off of the tie rod ends and to keep the draglink from contacting the engine crossmember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

970-945-7777
77k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 747081
I would jack it up and take the tie rod off one side and the drag link, and try to turn each knuckle. You could have 1 side that is partially seized, dragging really bad.

Over all the cross over steering has better geometry than the goofball stock setup.
MbBigBurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 232666
Sounds like you have the tie rod on backwards...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in