Need transmission advise - rock crawler - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 549106
Need transmission advise - rock crawler

I am building a tube frame rock buggy, 4x4. I need a transmission recommendation. Here is what i have. It has 38 inch tires, 5.37? gears, power plant is a L33 alum block 5.3, stock bottom, 243 heads, valve spring upgrade, brian toolie stage2 cam, fitech fuel injection with vic jr intake. I think i want a manual shift t350 due to its light weight and efficiency. I would like to have the shift pattern p,r,n,123. Need to understand the dif between truck 4x4 trans vs car. Also...i have an old school heavy duty iron transfer case. Wondering about a 4x4 trans where the transfer case bolts right to the end of the trans?
dteeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 260337
Need transmission advise - rock crawler

I assume your going to be using a computer to control the 5.3. Why not a 4L80E?
Edit: just read your using an aftermarket computer. Iím stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wvracer821; 06-13-2019 at 04:28 AM.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 35786
What transfer case is it?

I'd skip the TH350 and look at a reverse manual TH400. Same gearing, way stronger.

Also, the old school transfer case with a TH350 or TH400 definitely does not make for good rock crawling gears. You'll probably want deeper t-case gears than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

970-945-7777
77k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 214685
My Jeep buggy is similar, (40s 5.38s) I run a TH400 behind a reasonably built SBC, through a stock ratio D300. Tranny has the TransGo 1-2 kit and a 2500 stall converter. Trans was rebuilt with all red frictions and kolene steels as well as heavier springs in the clutches. Only complaint I have is my TC is a bit high on the stall, as it flashes higher with how light the buggy ended up being, great for hill shooting but it’s under the converter in the slow technical stuff.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in