1994 K2500 Suburban SAS – 08 Super Duty 60 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 174383
1994 K2500 Suburban SAS – 08 Super Duty 60

Good Morning PBB! I recently returned from a deployment with the California Air National Guard and my two oldest boys, 7 and 9 years old, and I started the first phase of our Suburban build. My family has had this truck for nearly 20 years and I am excited about diving in to this transformation. It has served as my stepdad’s daily driver, grocery getter, and lake camping and boat towing rig. It has served us well and I have always liked this truck.

The truck is a 1994 ¾ ton Suburban. Drivetrain wise, it has a 454, 4L80E, NP241C, 14 BFF and a 9.25” IFS front axle. Other than aftermarket wheels, running boards, a brush guard, and stereo the truck is basically stock.

Below is the plan for the first phase of the build:

Replace the front axle with a Dana 60 from a 2008 F350 that I acquired from LKQ Online (great deal BTW).

Replace front suspension with a WFO Concepts radius arm setup and King 2.5x10 coil overs.

Rear shackle flip with ORD shackle mounts, zero rates, and U-Bolt Reversal kit. I am still trying to figure out the rear shock plan. Ideally, I would like to use 2.5 King remote reservoir/piggy back shocks but I have to figure out mounting options. Any suggestions???

37x12.5x17 Maxxis Razr tires on cheap steel wheels with 4.25” backspace that I got from National Tire and Wheel.

Regear both axles to either 4.56 or 4.88. I did a calculator to determine what ratio would be “near stock” and the result was 4.33. That seems like it isn’t low enough for the added weight. I am open to suggestion on this one.

Pull engine and transmission to replace all leaking seals and clean 26 years’ worth of road grime from the frame and drivetrain.

The goal of the build is to be a family adventure rig. I always enjoyed camping as a kid and my boys enjoy it as well. We recently added our fourth boy to the family and now we don’t fit in my ¾ ton Dodge which is where this Suburban fits in. After serving us so well when I was a kid, it will continue to do so for my kids. I am also a member of a local four-wheel drive club. The club consists primarily of Jeeps but they welcome all makes/models and while the Suburban isn’t much smaller than my Dodge, its paint isn’t nearly as nice. So, in addition to camping, the Suburban will also be our main off-road rig tackling trails and proving to the Jeep guys that us fool sized rigs can party too.

If anyone has suggestions on gears and how I could mount the rear shocks, please chime in!

This is where we left off yesterday after finding my garage again and helping my young boys turn wrenches:

Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 109999
IN

Looking forward to the build.
backchat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 855486
Looking forward to seeing this build.

Rear shocks are a pain in the ass. I decided I'll be re configuring them to OJ Bronco-style with both in front of the axle on account of the tight clearances inside the rear shock towers.
usanumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174383
usanumber1, you mentioned that previously when we talked on another forum. Now that I am home, I have been looking at the bottom of my rig to see how you might do that. Are you planning to weld tabs onto the factory crossmember with the body mounts on it? If not, how are you planning on doing that?

Looking at mine, it almost looked like I could make a plate with tabs welded on that would bolt on in place of the factory t-bar. Something like this:

If I did that and ordered shocks with a reservoir parallel to the bolt, I think I could make it work. Then the shocks would essentially mount factory style. Any thoughts on that idea?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 174383
Today, I lost my little helpers to their first day of school; which was ok as I had a task today that required more cussing than I like them to hear. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to make a ton of progress as some of my shop equipment, such as jacks and jack stands, were borrowed by my brother during my absence. That said, I did get the running boards removed and pulled the fuel tank skid plate off.

Those running boards did not want to come off and most of the hardware broke but the funny thing is, it looks like I gave it a lift already!

Also, before I got ahead of myself, I grabbed some measurements to use for comparisons sake. Below are heights from the ground so that I can identify
how much lift I actually got:

Front frame rail

Front fender

Rear fender

Frame height measured right below where the front and rear doors meet

Trailer hitch and rear bumper

Hopefully, tomorrow I will get my equipment back so I can get into the real work. I would like to get the fuel tank out, prepare the axle for the shackle flip and start removing the factory shackle mounts, at a minimum.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
gettin there

Member # 232666
Good start. Suburbans are great to wheel with so much room inside. The only thing that bothers me about them is all the glass. When it pops it will be all over your kids...
Anyway for gearing I'd go 4.88 or taller, even 5.13. With my SAS on my 00 Silverado i went 4.88 and it still feels like a turd.
For rear shocks you can either cut the rear floor a bit and build a shock cage back there to have the shocks stick up through the floor, or cantilever mount them.
Keep it up
Old 08-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 118035
I see you got in on that cheap NTW Steel wheel deal they have too....
Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 174383
Sterlingfire, All the glass is one thing that concerns me and is something that I have been thinking about, that and potential body damage with the length of the body past the rear tires. One idea that I have had to help mitigate the problem is building a sort of exo-cage. This cage would serve the purposes of providing a barrier between trail obstacles and support for a roof basket and not so much of roll over protection. With a family of six, kids ranging from 9 - 10 months, we have a fair amount of gear and a roof basket would provide the extra room but I want it to be longer than the factory roof rack mounting points would support. Something similar to this but without tubes outside of the front fenders and a more subdued basket:

As for gears, as I recall, your truck is running 40s, correct? Do you think the 4.88s with 37s would still be a turd?

IEATRKS84, I was trying to stay as "cheap" as possible for wheels and tires and I couldn't pass these up. I got the whole package shipped to my house for under $1500! I call it a win.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 855486
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoprez2006 View Post
usanumber1, you mentioned that previously when we talked on another forum. Now that I am home, I have been looking at the bottom of my rig to see how you might do that. Are you planning to weld tabs onto the factory crossmember with the body mounts on it? If not, how are you planning on doing that?

Looking at mine, it almost looked like I could make a plate with tabs welded on that would bolt on in place of the factory t-bar. Something like this:

If I did that and ordered shocks with a reservoir parallel to the bolt, I think I could make it work. Then the shocks would essentially mount factory style. Any thoughts on that idea?
Desolate makes a bar for broncos, and using that same general idea, I'll fab something up so I can run 3.0 bypasses.

I looked into that as well, but there isn't even enough room for a 2.0 smoothie with a 90* up inside the rear factory towers, which is why mine are currently mounted with the shock body at the axle. You can keep the factory locations, I suppose, however you'll have to a lot a cutting and fabbing.
usanumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in