Dana 60 - Turns farther left than right - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
3 turns lock-to-lock within the steering box? Or 3 turns between steering stops at the knuckles?
I assuming 3 turns lock to lock at the steering wheel.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 863230
This is a pretty simple thing...you really should be able to get equal left and right turning with a draglink adjustment. For the issues you reported the draglink will need to be lengthened. Can't tell you exactly how much so you need to do what is mentioned above. Take the draglink loose, get the front wheels pointed straight, and then center the steering wheel by seeing how many turns lock to lock you have and divide that in half. If you can turn the steering wheel 3 full turns than you know that 1.5 turns is centered. Than simply adjust the draglink to fit.

I'm not saying that lifting the truck with no steering correction may not affect the total turning ability, or cause issues when flexed out, etc....but you should be able to get equal left to right turning. However you do have some steering correction in regards to height, but I don't know if the lever arm on that steering arm is the same or not as stock. If it is longer (distance from the steering knuckle to where the draglink attaches) than stock you will loose some total steering angle.

The last thing I will say is that from the pics it looks like there could be interference between the steering arm and the shock when turning right. In the pictures the steering arm will pivot towards the rear of the truck and towards the shock. Picture perspective can be deceiving so hard to tell for sure, but could this possibly be reason they have the draglink adjusted the way it is? Limited right hand steering would prevent the arm from pivoting back and towards the shock as much???
grayblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 870502
I haven't had a chance to work on it. PO did say he could set it at equal turns without issue but the steering wheel was way off so he left it how it is. I might have to pull off the steering wheel and re-center it once I get everything else dialed in.

1984 K5 Blazer//350//TH350//38" Nitto Mud Grapplers//6" suspension//3" body//Dana 60//GM 14 Bolt

Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by centex View Post
I haven't had a chance to work on it. PO did say he could set it at equal turns without issue but the steering wheel was way off so he left it how it is. I might have to pull off the steering wheel and re-center it once I get everything else dialed in.

1984 K5 Blazer//350//TH350//38" Nitto Mud Grapplers//6" suspension//3" body//Dana 60//GM 14 Bolt
Then he didn't start off with the steering wheel straight.DO like was said a few times here. It's all in the draglink adjustment.

Last edited by Cheepin; 09-10-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Cheepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 870502
Once I get back from here I will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in