Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 60 - Turns farther left than right

7K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Snowbird13 
#1 · (Edited)
My truck is running a Dana 60 king pin front axle from a 1982 k30 truck utilizing the stock setup. The steering wheel isn't centered but the truck tracks straight. What I'm experiencing though is that when turning right, I only get about 3/4 of a turn to the right before I hit the stops and then about 1 1/2 turns to the left before I hit the stops. I'm completely ignorant on setting up steering stops or these axles in general. What are some of the things I can check or adjust? I didn't install this axle so I'm starting from scratch for the most part. Thank you.

#2 ·
Don't adjust the steering stops, the issue is likely a drag link adjustment.

Is the truck lifted? If so, are there any corrective parts in the steering (dropped pitman arm, dropped drag link, etc)? If you're not sure, post pics.

What you are describing is typically the result of lifting a truck but leaving the steering components stock, this results in a loss of the range of motion.

#4 ·
Park your truck with the front tires pointing straight ahead. Disconnect the drag link at the pitman arm. Turn the steering wheel fully left to right while counting the turns, then center the steering box so you have equal turns left and right. Re-connect the pitman arm, shorten or lengthen the arm so it will connect without turning the box or tires. Once connected, see if you have equal turns both ways. If not, see if it has adjustable stops, and see if it's turning all the way to the stops. If you have big tires, and a steering box hanging off the outside of the frame, they may have stopped the right side steering so the tire doesn't hit the box when turned and flexed out.
Travis..

#8 ·
Didn't answer if you have any steering correction on for the lift. If not you will need to address that first. I have found that lifting these without steering correction results in not steering left enough.

#7 ·
Park the truck with the wheels straight. Adjust the draglink longer until the steering box and steering wheel centers itself.

Same thing happens on a 1stgen Dodge when you lift. Except the link isn't adjustable. :homer:

#9 ·
Don't know. I bought the truck as it sits in my signature. I'll throw up a few pictures tomorrow.

1984 K5 Blazer//350//TH350//38" Nitto Mud Grapplers//6" suspension//3" body//Dana 60//GM 14 Bolt

#11 ·
Steering box is on the outside of the frame rail so makes sense I can't turn as far right as I can left. Now the question is how do I fix it?

1984 K5 Blazer//350//TH350//38" Nitto Mud Grapplers//6" suspension//3" body//Dana 60//GM 14 Bolt

#15 · (Edited)
That draglink looks really short, like maybe the rear draglink end could be the wrong part. From memory, there is a few inches of un-threaded shank between the adjuster and the end. There may not be any more adjustment left there. You want at least 1" of thread inside the tube, but the more the better.
Travis..

EDIT, looking at the pic again, maybe it's right? I'd do the deal I described above and see if the link is too short when the box is centered and the wheels are straight.

#16 · (Edited)
The stock arm has a shorter lever, and some backswing to it.

If the draglink runs out of adjustment, it may need to be shortened slightly.

EDIT: I think the OP's arm is for a Dodge/Ford application since the draglink end goes in bottom-up. GM goes in top-down. The tapers on the bottom-up arms are smaller, so a TRE has likely been substituted.

#23 ·

EDIT: I think the OP's arm is for a Dodge/Ford application since the draglink end goes in bottom-up. GM goes in top-down. The tapers on the bottom-up arms are smaller, so a TRE has likely been substituted.
Dodges only had a slight raise to them 1"-1 1/2" or so. Ford were flat. I wouldn't rule out that being a 78-79 Ford that was bent to "work" though. But most likely on old aftermarket piece.

#19 ·
Spoke to the original owner and I'm not crazy, it's purposely set up this way. Most he said he could get is 1 1/2 turns either left or right if it was perfectly even and then it's maxed out. So basically 3 turns lock to lock. I'm going to try centering it myself and maybe I can get some more out of it.

#22 ·
Spoke to the original owner and I'm not crazy, it's purposely set up this way. Most he said he could get is 1 1/2 turns either left or right if it was perfectly even and then it's maxed out. So basically 3 turns lock to lock. I'm going to try centering it myself and maybe I can get some more out of it.
3 turns lock-to-lock within the steering box? Or 3 turns between steering stops at the knuckles?

Maybe its the way the pics look... but the knuckle arm looks longer than stock, and longer than the pitman arm. I think you're losing some steering range there.

#25 ·
The front and rear axles came off his dad's 1982 k30 truck. This is all foreign territory for me so forgive the ignorance. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but plan to after the dove hunt tomorrow.

#27 ·
This is a pretty simple thing...you really should be able to get equal left and right turning with a draglink adjustment. For the issues you reported the draglink will need to be lengthened. Can't tell you exactly how much so you need to do what is mentioned above. Take the draglink loose, get the front wheels pointed straight, and then center the steering wheel by seeing how many turns lock to lock you have and divide that in half. If you can turn the steering wheel 3 full turns than you know that 1.5 turns is centered. Than simply adjust the draglink to fit.

I'm not saying that lifting the truck with no steering correction may not affect the total turning ability, or cause issues when flexed out, etc....but you should be able to get equal left to right turning. However you do have some steering correction in regards to height, but I don't know if the lever arm on that steering arm is the same or not as stock. If it is longer (distance from the steering knuckle to where the draglink attaches) than stock you will loose some total steering angle.

The last thing I will say is that from the pics it looks like there could be interference between the steering arm and the shock when turning right. In the pictures the steering arm will pivot towards the rear of the truck and towards the shock. Picture perspective can be deceiving so hard to tell for sure, but could this possibly be reason they have the draglink adjusted the way it is? Limited right hand steering would prevent the arm from pivoting back and towards the shock as much???

#28 ·
I haven't had a chance to work on it. PO did say he could set it at equal turns without issue but the steering wheel was way off so he left it how it is. I might have to pull off the steering wheel and re-center it once I get everything else dialed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.