A Family Wheeler - 83 K5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
A Family Wheeler - 83 K5

Well.... I reckon I'll start a thread....

The wife and I have been a wheeling couple for a while.... i have a 85 toyota truggy and the wife a 87 samurai. The truggy is a complete and total raisin and trail only 100%. The semi is just small and the wife enjoys just driving around with the top off and very mild wheeling in it.

The issue we have now is much daughter is 2.5 amd neither vehicle has room for a 3rd butt and i have no real intrest in building the wifes Sammie into a more dedicated wheeler.

I've always wanted to build something we can do an ultimate adventure style trip in. And a blazer seems to fit the bill perfect. So after some searching a 83 followed me home. Going to be a pretty basic build. Tons with lockers, 40s, dual cases and 5.3/4l60 swap eventually.

First things first.... paint.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you to the companies that have helped me out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RSWORDS; 12-02-2019 at 12:25 PM.
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
After getting it all one color it was time for more umph.

Pulled a 350 block out the stash and a trip to the machine shop and some fresh parts and we now have a vortec headed 10.5 to 1 360ci powerplant.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
After tossing a reverse manual valve body with engine braking in 1 and 2 I installed a sidewinder shifter. IBEX has an awesome mount that fits perfect. An old street sign some nut carts and it went right where the old console was amd have room for triple sticks.

Also started swapping the interior to gray. Besides the old one being trashed that red is just famn ugly.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
cool. subscribed.

RIP SCREWZER2
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
And yesterday I tossed my shackle flip, shackles, and new fuel tank in the truck.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
The wife and kiddo decided to come to my shop and help out which always makes a great day in the shop.

Annabelle making sure the ex inches will work. Because the rear axle needs to go back at least an inch.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 139461
V
Cool build

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Found a Dodge D60 and a 14 bolt. Got a set of 4.55s and Detroits front and rear.

Jumped on ruffstuffs website and took advantage of the black friday 20% off.

Got a 14 and 60 simple swap setup and high steer coming.

Need to get up with lug nut amd order rear discs for the 14 bolt. And brackets to run my stock 1/2 ton calipers and 3/4 ton rotors on the 60 to help clear my 15" beadlocks.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 118035
Does the dodge front end bolt in place?

Build looks familiar.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATRKS84 View Post
Does the dodge front end bolt in place?

Build looks familiar.
Yep. And alot cheaper. Paid 350 for that one.

Spring perches are like and inch narrower or something. You can either pull em together or get offset bushings. I'll do one or the other depending in how fat my wallet is.

And it should. It's pretty basic lol

Last edited by RSWORDS; 12-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Nothing too crazy last night. Half way fabbed up a switch panel to mount on the side of my shifter. Waiting on dumb ass USPS for parts.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
I was wondering if you would ever start a thread on this thing. Its already less oily than the yota... hahah! Looking forward to updates brother.

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior

Last edited by jhama78; 12-03-2019 at 08:38 AM.
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17632
What is that paint you used, it looks good. Assume you sprayed it with a gun.
Travis..
Old 12-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
I was wondering if you would ever start a thread on this thing. Its already less oily than the yota... hahah! Looking forward to updates brother.
Until recently it's just been kinda sitting. I put the engine in this spring and haven't had time to mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
What is that paint you used, it looks good. Assume you sprayed it with a gun.
Travis..
Rattle can I forget what brand it was. It's a good 10' paint job.

Better picture of the panel, added a 12v socket. The top three will be random lights amd what not.

The white will be power on for in cab winch control (getting replaced with a locking switch to prevent accidentally getting turned on) and the red the winch control. The blank will get a dual USB outlet.

Also got my first box of goodies from ruffstuff. 60 and 14 bolt simple swap. The crossover should ship any day.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
Yep. And alot cheaper. Paid 350 for that one.

Spring perches are like and inch narrower or something. You can either pull em together or get offset bushings. I'll do one or the other depending in how fat my wallet is.

And it should. It's pretty basic lol

The Dodge is 67" WMS vs GM at 69.5". If I have that correct....been awhile.
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambld View Post
The Dodge is 67" WMS vs GM at 69.5". If I have that correct....been awhile.
The earlier external locking hubs are 67. The later (90-93) are 69 like the GM supposedly. We shall see.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Cool build. Looks like you have a solid rig on your hands.

Good on ya for getting the wife and kid involved. I have been slowly getting my wife in the shop with me. It's good bonding time. My daughters love coming out there with me too. Speaking of which i have a few projects to get finished before spring lol
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25632
All Dodge king pins are 2" narrower on the short side and 1" wider spring pin width.

I like where this is going. I had a 77 that was stock and was a lot of fun. I've thought about building one into a very similar style as what you're doing. My dream is to run UA also. I swear I'm not a stalker

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 12-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
All Dodge king pins are 2" narrower on the short side and 1" wider spring pin width.

I like where this is going. I had a 77 that was stock and was a lot of fun. I've thought about building one into a very similar style as what you're doing. My dream is to run UA also. I swear I'm not a stalker
I was always under the same impression about WMS but have seen a few comments to the opposite. Even billa vista bible says some are "reportedly" 69". I truly dont know, I'll measure when its together. Either way I've already bought wheel spacers figuring its 67" to push it out.

And you know you stalking. Lol

Last edited by RSWORDS; 12-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Cool build. Looks like you have a solid rig on your hands.

Good on ya for getting the wife and kid involved. I have been slowly getting my wife in the shop with me. It's good bonding time. My daughters love coming out there with me too. Speaking of which i have a few projects to get finished before spring lol
The kid absolutely loves working on the rigs. The wife enjoys spending time with me. Lol

Old 12-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Got some DOM for a cage.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
The kid absolutely loves working on the rigs. The wife enjoys spending time with me. Lol
That's more what it is for my wife too. She won't turn a wrench, but will be a "little" extra muscle if i need it. She doesn't want to have anything to do with power tools either
Old 12-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
So tonight I took an hour after work and tossed some 4" springs and ez inches moved with the axle in the 1.5" forward slot.

I think some trimming is in order. But gotta love that approach angle.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Didn't feel like cutting fenders today so I started sand blasting dana 60 parts.... I'm not sure it was the better choice.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Posser mall crawler status achieved until I build my tons after the 1st of the year.

Finished trimming and tossed the front 40s on. No rubbing on level ground and normal driving. Need to flex it out and continue to trim and set up the bump stops. Also need to put the ez inch on the rear. It squats too much and could go back an inch.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in