OLD BLUE Build Thread - 71 Chevy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
OLD BLUE Build Thread - 71 Chevy

Well, this is the build thread for my new truck.

I TRADED THIS:

Crazyblaze Build Thread

The CraZyBlaZe was pretty much topped out unless I tore it totally apart again to go full buggy. To go wheeling anywhere near KC it is at least a 1.5 hour tow. Most of my friends had gotten out of wheeling/camping or moved away so it just wasn't as fun as it used to be.

One last hug

FOR THIS (plus some extra parts):

Specs copied from his sale thread:
1971 Chevy short bed. nice truck but needs some paint and little body work to be super nice. Runs strong, motor and tranny have maybe 300 miles on it.

Dana 44 front, open 4.10
14 bolt ff rear, open 4.10
Turbo 400 custom built for motor and truck from phoenix transmission
Np 205
37"x14" iroks 99% tread
16x10 imitation welds

Engine started life as a 2 bolt 454. now solid roller 496
Bored .060" with torque plate
Decked
line honed
milodon splayed billet maincaps installed
Eagle 4340 forged 4.25 stroker crank
Eagle 4340 forged h-beams 6.385"
SRP forged pistons .230 dome 10.6 to 1 comp. ratio
File fit moly rings
King race bearings
Fully balanced to less than a gram
Milodon hv/hp oil pump
arp main and head studs
Howards solid roller cam and lifters 285/290, Lift .660/.675
Pro comp 320cc rectangle port aluminum heads
Fel pro mls head gasket
Stainless steal roller rockers
gear drive
heavy wall comp cams pushrods
edelbrock vic jr 454r intake
Pro form 950 race carb
Dynoed 565 hp @ 5500 585 ft/[email protected] 4500
Made over 550 ft/lb from 3000 up
Hooker competition headers, dual 3" with flowmasters

If you look closely in the bed of the truck above, he included a complete chevy DRW D60. Also included was a full hydroboost unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 183214
Thats a nice truck. Cant wait to see it done. I like that era of trucks. are you going to do anything else to it 4link? cage?

Last edited by chevy76; 02-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.
chevy76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Location: Virginia... now occupied territory...Sic Semper Tyrannis... MALON LABE
Nice truck

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
I've got a 2wd '72 C10 that's blue and we call it ole blue too.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
So that brings us to tonight, when we finally got home from Denver where we traded.

Pulled it off the trailer and took the wife for a ride around the block. The truck starts OKish but honestly runs like shit; hissing, popping, and backfiring throughout the whole ride around the neighborhood. You can tell deep down at it's heart it is a race quality engine, but everything that surrounds/connects to it pretty much needs redone. On a side note the tranny works well and shifts firmly, though it is missing the torque converter shroud.

Well, after getting back home I quickly discovered what I had gotten myself into. I didn't get a pic of the two spark plug wires that were burnt through, but I will let the pics do the talking.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 138002
Send a message via AIM to arbs
I really loved that blazer.

But, knowing the work youve done and are capable of doing, I am really excited to see this new project. Also, one of the best years imo.

Just make sure you keep that battery strapped down tight
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289

This is the one that scares me

Don't get me wrong, I am not dumb. I knew what I was getting into, but DAMN this is going to be a lot of work

I want this to be a DO IT ALL vehicle. Reliable daily driver, drive down the highway, take it to mud drags, go to the dunes, and kill some mustangs (If I don't win the race I will just have to lock the hubs and run over them )

Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11491
Dang! Kinda hard to belive you did the trade but i know where you are coming from... Its nice to have a more multi purpose vehicle. Lets you enjoy it more.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 44136
That under dash pic looks like my 72. I love it when PO think they know how to re wire. I have pulled at least 200' of junk wires out of my blazer, and its still fucked up.

WTF is the copper line going to the fender for?

And are you going to get the factory air working? It's expensive in these old trucks, but worth it.

Last edited by Snowbird13; 02-20-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
Couple more pics:

Issues:
Engine needs tuning and all new spark plug wires
None of the dash lights work
The turn signals have a mind of their own
The brakes suck
The steering wheel can move 1/4 turn without doing anything
all of the doors/door handles are essentially non-operational
The radio doesn't work (not that it matters, you wouldn't hear it over the engine )
The seat is only bolted down on one side
There are enough electrical gremlins to keep me busy for years
It's LOUD!!!!! Kinda cool at first, but for it to be multipurpose, it is doing to have to be tamed significantly.

The initial plans:
Get the engine running right
Clean it, top to bottom (this will make a HUGE difference in itself)
Fix all of the door handles so I can freaking get in and out like a normal person without reaching through the window.
Disk brake the 14 bolt
Drive it.....a lot.....

Later Plans:
...I don't want to give away all my secrets

It will be a pretty slow build on a small budget and not a lot of time after life,work, and my masters. I will be building everything myself when possible/feasible.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 169954
Sucks to see you traded the blazer off i loved the build. But i also to understand how it can suck not having buddys to wheel with and having a long haul to wheel. But this thing looks sweet. My dad and i are doing a similar build for my mom, its a 73 long bed and it will be used more like what you plan to use the 71 for, daily driver street truck with lots of hp. Looking foward to updates.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 182084
Nice truck, definitely a great start. The wiring on my truck is the same way, but somehow everything works that needs to so I'm leaving it alone
redneckK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 173265
The new owner of crazyblaze must be laughing right now! Get his wiring cleaned up and his motor running right and you've got a good start.

I was into that as well from PO, so I ripped it all out and am gonna try to do a nice clean wire job on my own without a kit or stock harness. Gonna be hard and I alot of work but hopefully will pay off. I am interested to see how you tackle your wiring. Yes and I will buy a quiality fire extinguisher for the first test drive
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 84582
Nice trade ... gonna have to keep an eye on this one!

ffp00ch214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 150680
that thing is freaking sweet. the wiring is scary. i just bought all new stuff to do all my wireing on my truck.. i had wires that went from the engine compartment through the firewall to the other side of the truck and out the firewall and was hooked to themselves. great score and good luck. subscribed

[COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR]
muddindog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 28084
Nice truck. I'll be following this for sure. I'm building something similiar.
I showed pics of the crazyblaze to a buddy with a blue DD blazer and told him thats how he should build it. Sad to see it go.
I'm in a similiar boat. Sold my 82 K10 on 38s 6 years ago after the close wheeling stopped and friends all quit. I bought a 72 last summer. It was originally a 2wd 72 C10 longbed custom deluxe. I bought it with 44/60 350/350/203 3.73s. The PO bought it with 44/60 400sb/465/205 4.56s. Its a mess under the dash.

Definitely not pirate, but there's some info over here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 28084
Im guessing the copper lines are for the trans cooler. Or maybe that thing is a rolling whiskey still?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 123509
Nice trade i watched the blazer build and saw what you did over time to it , for sure going to keep a eye on this one.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 83407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird13 View Post
WTF is the copper line going to the fender for?
Looks like a disconnected line to an oil pressure gauge.
By-Tor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 139150
well, at least it's a good start, clean body, looks like the guy that you traded it took couldn't fix a sandwich, let alone a truck. so this is to him if he sees this thread--- . who in the hell spends that much on a lower end, block and heads and doesn't even get plug wire holders for those $80+ dollar wires. lets not even get started on the bungie cord battery hold down, the water cooler tubing used as trans cooler piping and the frankenstien wiring. well at least it looks like it ended up with the right owner who will make her purr again. keep us updated.

edit: oh yeah, and that thing needs a third pedal.

Last edited by sjracer; 02-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
hahahaha, I'll take fall for the bungie

There was nothing on it to begin with. I was afraid it would fall into the engine bay on the tow home.

I bought some new 90* plug ends and two heat shields on my way home from work tonight. I know it is not technically the correct way to do it, but I am not going to spend 80 bux on another set of wires right now. I just want to get it running good so I can go piss the neighbors off some more

If you look closely in the under-dash picture, it looks like the third pedal used to be there, somebody just cut it off with a sawzall.

Once I get the new plug wire ends on and get'er runnin I will have to take a video. This thing is stupid loud

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 139150
wow, i just spied the cut off pedal. what a mo-ron!!! those things just unbolt, cant take more that 5 mins to take it out, why the f--k cut it!! i think i'd seriously yard that engine back out and go back over it, awfull expensive piece of iron if he put as much care into it as he did the rest of the truck. i got confidence in you though to put everything right.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 86890
Nice truck man cant wait to see this run!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 86890
man most of that looks like its from stereo or alarm. my 72 had exactally the same deal when i got it then one day I went nuts with a cutter and a test light. most of my crap was stereo and some random camper wiring..
Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36289
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion View Post
Nice truck. I'll be following this for sure. I'm building something similiar.
I showed pics of the crazyblaze to a buddy with a blue DD blazer and told him thats how he should build it. Sad to see it go.
I'm in a similiar boat. Sold my 82 K10 on 38s 6 years ago after the close wheeling stopped and friends all quit. I bought a 72 last summer. It was originally a 2wd 72 C10 longbed custom deluxe. I bought it with 44/60 350/350/203 3.73s. The PO bought it with 44/60 400sb/465/205 4.56s. Its a mess under the dash.

Definitely not pirate, but there's some info over here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php
Wow You shouldn't have shown me that link.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
wow, i just spied the cut off pedal. what a mo-ron!!! those things just unbolt, cant take more that 5 mins to take it out, why the f--k cut it!! i think i'd seriously yard that engine back out and go back over it, awfull expensive piece of iron if he put as much care into it as he did the rest of the truck. i got confidence in you though to put everything right.
My gut feeling is that the engine was built by the machinist, since he had an engine dyno done. It would be a huge task to take that thing out and rebuild it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in