Going to KOH? Start here. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 5618
first time going

haven't read anyone in just a camper shell. probably better than tent but what do you people think
mntsprt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntsprt View Post
haven't read anyone in just a camper shell. probably better than tent but what do you people think
Yes, a camper shell would be better than a tent. Better if there is w!$#, better to insulate from noise, maybe better for dust (depending on how well it seals).

My lodging ratings, based upon actual experience, sorted worst to best.

0 Under the stars- Wonderful in good weather and with a good sleeping bag with no one around. Not at KOH unless you find a campsite miles away from Hammertown (which is absolutely possible).

1 Tent- A tent acts as a transducer and magnifies the noise from your neighbors. A dirt bike or a generator 1/2 a mile away at 2AM will sound like it is right in your camp. Tents don't keep out noise, cold, or dust. Even a good 4 season tent, properly set up, will flatten, bend poles, and flap all night long in a good Johnson Valley w!$# storm! Want to use a cheap 3 season tent? Good luck! This will most likely be it's last trip.

2 Camper shell- Protection from the elements, some noise insulation, some dust protection. You are still living and cooking outdoors in the weather.

3 Inside a vehicle- Slightly better than a camper shell because of better insulation from dust and security for your stuff.

4 Inside a race trailer or box truck- Good insulation from noise, dust, and weather. Large enough to live and cook out of the weather.

5 RV of any kind- Protection from noise, dust, and weather. You will have a heater, bathroom, kitchen, hot water and probably even a generator and a TV (although I choose not to have them); all the comforts of home. That is, until something breaks, the holding tanks fill up, your battery dies, you run out of water because your significant other does not understand that they cannot take a 15 minute shower, or any of 100 other things that can go wrong. But it is still WAY better than a tent!

The bottom line... One of the greatest camping trips of my life was a week in Joshua Tree National Park, very near to Johnson Valley, in the winter. We pulled into camp in a snow storm with 6" of snow on the ground. The next day we were walking around in shorts in the sunshine and it stayed that way all week! I was in a tent, 4 season of course, and it was great!

Even if I had to rough it, I would still come out. It will be worth it and maybe you can upgrade next year!

<edit> P.S. Please, everywhere you go, leave it cleaner than you found it! Be a good neighbor and ambassador for our sport.

Last edited by TurtleTruck; 01-01-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: P.S.
TurtleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 73384
Thanks for all the info in this tread. This will be my first trip to KOH. We have six of us staying in an RV. What is the recommendation on food? I figure there is food vendors during the day, but what about dinner? We will be on the lakebed Tuesday the 5th to Saturday early morning.

Last edited by rlozer; 01-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.
rlozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3123
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Rich
Here is what we do for food
Try and limit your meals to one pan/pot meals if your going to cook in the RV.
The next best thing is to have woman along..... Make it her job to cook and clean - oh yeah good luck with that and let us know if it worked LOL
Yes there are food vendors but that can get old and expensive really fast
Thanks to our marketing partners: MAXXIS Tires, Trail Gear, NITTRO Gear and Axle, ARTEC Industries, Branik Motorsports, ASR Recovery Gear, SpiderTrax, Dirt Skins, Metal Cloak, Crown Automotive, SuperChips, PSC Steering, Fox Shocks, Axel Off Road, Currie Enterprises, PCI Race Radios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKROVER
4 wheeling sure changes when there is a crowd and cones.
530-417-5333

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( @ Y @ ) ( * Y * ) ( . Y . )

Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 129208
Although it's not practical to drive into town (Yucca or Apple valley) every night but it's nice to get out of the dust and noise and eat in a restaurant.

Ate at La Casita restaurant in Yucca last KOH and it was pretty tasty. Of course I could be bribed to bring out some In-N-Out burgers on my way up
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlozer View Post
Thanks for all the info in this tread. This will be my first trip to KOH. We have six of us staying in an RV. What is the recommendation on food? I figure there is food vendors during the day, but what about dinner? We will be on the lakebed Tuesday the 5th to Saturday early morning.
You will be having so much fun that food will be secondary!

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches work for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for at least 2 weeks if you are having fun and have enough beer. Beyond that, you are on your own and should not rely on Pirate 4x4 to help you out!

Rich is right though, 1 pot meals are the only way to go. Think hamburger, beans, and tortillas.

Seriously, the food is excellent and you could eat very well just from the vendors, 3 meals a day.

In-and-out should bring out their mobile unit. They would sell out every day with no problem.

Rich, don't let your new bride read that post!

Last edited by TurtleTruck; 01-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.
TurtleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 136981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTruck View Post
That is, until something breaks, the holding tanks fill up, your battery dies, you run out of water because your significant other does not understand that they cannot take a 15 minute shower, or any of 100 other things that can go wrong.
That sounds exactly like the toy hauler that I stayed in last year with three other staff guys. Imagine the condition of that thing after two plus weeks with four guys (and you guys know who you are). Sorry I won't be there this year.

Last edited by biffgnar; 01-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 75214
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
That sounds exactly like the toy hauler that I stayed in last year with three other staff guys. Imagine the condition of that thing after two plus weeks with four guys (and you guys know who you are). Sorry I won't be there this year.
Hey!!!

Simon Slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wet Trail Wheeler

Member # 175109
Planning on rolling in on Mon. or Tue. First time, camp location is my question. Would like to park the RV near other PBB folks who like to drink around the fire in the evening W#@&% permitting. Would like to be close enough to Hammertown to watch and possibly assist teams in race prep. My 21 year old son and I are handy with tools but would be happy just to fetch stuff and hold lights, tools, beer, parts, our comments, etc if needed. Any suggestions for camping site complete with road directions and names of neighbors? We will be in a 25-28 ft MH towing jeep on trailer.
Drakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
W6FTW

Member # 133266
I did best western last year, but the drive every night and morning was a killer. I want to do a rv but don't know anyone with one

For food last year I smoked a pork shoulder before I left home. Had pulled pork sammiches all weekend. Easiest meal to make. Just heat up in aluminum foil with some BBQ sauce, add to hoagie roll and add cheese...

-phill

NorCalPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 24027
Send a message via MSN to FSJ Man Send a message via Yahoo to FSJ Man
Quote:
No kidding I made the mistake of opening ya'lls trailer door to ask someone something and quickly retreated. Now I know why all the drinks before bed. And who fell out of the bunk?
Greater love hath no man than this,that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
[QUOTE=DRM;13870904]A
you guys are so cute when you get butthurt :laughing:[/QUOTE]

RIP Will Higginbotham :usa:
FSJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 19067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
the question always comes up----- what to bring for cloths ????
Kilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinj1990 View Post
Bring Chapstick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
THIS!

Not just one, but several, just in case you lose one.

and baby wipes.

Wise words, must be past KOH attendees!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 43169
KOH 2013 Vendor's list?

Please bring more odd ball parts.
Any chance that us little guy's can get the vendors list?
It would be nice to pre-purchase little parts with no shipping.

I know it is a little late, but, I know people would buy certain "water containers", from the Canadian's again.

I ass-ume most parts vendors are here on Pirate, but they don't say, "I am at vendor spot X". My website is X, pm for Pirate price, discounted shipping and no sales tax. (If out of State)

Honestly, I do not know your bottom line, but fuck knock (sp) a dollar of your price and with no shipping, equals a win for everyone.

I have a good idea who will be there with what, as most Pirates do, but I guess about 5,000, 15,000 + people don't.
Mothfukle; JV post #121 *GO EAST MARINES!* Sig# 1,681
Steve, just a Ultra4 volunteer course worker.
Mud Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 43169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntsprt View Post
It will work fine depending on the temp.

I have been in a $130,000 MH, a tent and a snug top. Use what you have. What I do now is sleep in the bed of my truck with the topper. In the expedition section, Gil, USMCDOC11?, wrote a thing about cheap window insulation. It works.

Tent's, plant it on your car trailer with ratchet straps at the base.
Put all of the stuff you do not need, during the day in it. Take it out before you go to bed.

I have a 7 gallon bucket with a screw on lid. I use my tent as a private shitter now.

No matter what, it depends on the weather.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 43169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Tim View Post
Wise words, must be past KOH attendees!
Volunteers?

Do you broach or edm? I forgot.
OE spicer hubs to 35 spline.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 75214
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Man View Post
No kidding I made the mistake of opening ya'lls trailer door to ask someone something and quickly retreated. Now I know why all the drinks before bed. And who fell out of the bunk?
That would be Matt/Chuck/Forrest.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Rod View Post
Please bring more odd ball parts.
Any chance that us little guy's can get the vendors list?
It would be nice to pre-purchase little parts with no shipping.

I know it is a little late, but, I know people would buy certain "water containers", from the Canadian's again.

I ass-ume most parts vendors are here on Pirate, but they don't say, "I am at vendor spot X". My website is X, pm for Pirate price, discounted shipping and no sales tax. (If out of State)

Honestly, I do not know your bottom line, but fuck knock (sp) a dollar of your price and with no shipping, equals a win for everyone.

I have a good idea who will be there with what, as most Pirates do, but I guess about 5,000, 15,000 + people don't.
Check the map on the Ultra4 web site. That will give you a good idea who's going to be there.
LCOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 136981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Slapstick View Post
That would be Matt/Chuck/Forrest.
Yep, landed on me and Simon. And if I recall correctly, he had no memory of it in the morning.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 75214
Quote:
Yep, landed on me and Simon. And if I recall correctly, he had no memory of it in the morning.
Yup. No idea lol.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 906
remember folks,, this is DESERT and a dry lake bed---- 'camping' can be done anywhere as long as you are not in 'town' or on the course----
the closer to town the more noise and possible dust---
i started in a camper shell on my toyota pick-up, then camper on my chebby p/u (no potty), and for the past few years i rent a mo-home (size depends on number of guests), i ALWAYS bring home extra food and usually an ice chest with extra drinks---- the venders and food folks downtown get a lot of my business. Last year there were some GOOD ribs !!
i would suggest bringing an umbrella---- good for 'R' and great for SUN !

what you want to bring is really up to you and your needs/wants---- just think of what you would need to support yourself for a week and go from there !

as Adam said to me his first time out-- "never in my life have i been able to see so far"--- it 'open' desert and there is NOTHING there except what we put there !! NO TREES and 1 bush---- most cell phones will work from there, but if you have trouble getting out--- call from the area of the 'phone bush' and it will work !!!!!!
*Cancer survivor since 02-06*
Grand Marshall -KOH 2012
"Dad' to some of the greatest kids EVER
I was around when Pearl Harbor was bombed !
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again)
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult. you may go home with some ( never have) but it is easier than driving to get more.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.

Last edited by HeyBeerMan; 01-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 43169
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCOwner View Post
Check the map on the Ultra4 web site. That will give you a good idea who's going to be there.
That's where I have been looking. Direct link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBeerMan View Post
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again)
4. Bring firewood. No pallets. Dimensional lumber might get you a "close inspection".
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult. <This. you may go home with some ( never have) but it is easier than driving to get more.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.
The wait is killing me.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 906
Mud--- brought up a good point !!!!! you can bring all the firewood you want---- no pallets AND NOTHING WITH nails !!!!!! THERE IS A FIRE PIT DOWNTOWN, BUT LATE EVENINGS, GETS A BIT CROWDED. No restrictions on fire-- except NO NAILS !!! -- just think of the firepit you would drive thru next year-- want nails ????
i think the town went thru 40 chords of wood last year in the town firepit----wood IS for sale if you don't bring enough.
*Cancer survivor since 02-06*
Grand Marshall -KOH 2012
"Dad' to some of the greatest kids EVER
I was around when Pearl Harbor was bombed !
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #49 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19392
SXS and UTV's
California has a new helmet and seat belt law as of January 1st 2013

b. 38601: Safety helmet required for operator and passengers of ROV (reference 27802)
c. 38602: Seat/shoulder belt or safety harness required to be worn when ROV
is in motion.

If you care to read the rest
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/f...66%20Final.pdf

Bebe's"On Board Mechanic"
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 89901
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but, what's the deal with wheeling during the week? Obviously stay off any routes used for racing.
Is there a way of finding out what trails are being used, what day, as to stay out of the way of competitors.
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in