Going to KOH? Start here. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #51 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj View Post
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but, what's the deal with wheeling during the week? Obviously stay off any routes used for racing.
Is there a way of finding out what trails are being used, what day, as to stay out of the way of competitors.
Yes, all of your questions have been covered elsewhere, in links above, many times. I will answer them though, to keep someone else from asking again.

-All trails are open during race week, except on race days.

-The course will be released on Fri 2/1/13. Buy a poster or a program, they will have the main race course and probably the other courses as well, except for KOM, which is not announced ahead of time.

-The full schedule of events is here: 2013 KOH Week Schedule | Ultra4Racing.com

Have a great time, be safe, and leave Johnson Valley cleaner than you found it!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #52 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj View Post
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but, what's the deal with wheeling during the week? Obviously stay off any routes used for racing.
Is there a way of finding out what trails are being used, what day, as to stay out of the way of competitors.
What Mark said, so you know in detail.

In general, don't plan on running any of the popular trails on Sunday, Thursday, or Friday.
Based on last year, don't plan on running Chocolate Thunder or the general vicinity during qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday; the rest should be open. DO plan to run the trails in the race direction as competitors will be pre-running.

I only get to the Hammers during KOH as well. Volunteering on race days, so I try to maximize my trail running time the rest of the week. Semi-busy early in the week, and a complete zoo later in the week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MT4Runner; 01-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 136053
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
What Mark said, so you know in detail.

In general, don't plan on running any of the popular trails on Sunday, Thursday, or Friday.
Based on last year, don't plan on running Chocolate Thunder or the general vicinity during qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday; the rest should be open. DO plan to run the trails in the race direction as competitors will be pre-running.

I only get to the Hammers during KOH as well. Volunteering on race days, so I try to maximize my trail running time the rest of the week. Semi-busy early in the week, and a complete zoo later in the week.
Try Backdoor after hours in the dark for the ultimate wheeling experience! At least once a year someone comes in butt hurt and covered in beer saying they flipped their junk and all the "locals" are harassing them..."help me!"

The first year I fell for this. Only issue is they aren't locals and are just having fun. Be their entertainment!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 76962
Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan55 View Post
Try Backdoor after hours in the dark for the ultimate wheeling experience! At least once a year someone comes in butt hurt and covered in beer saying they flipped their junk and all the "locals" are harassing them..."help me!"

The first year I fell for this. Only issue is they aren't locals and are just having fun. Be their entertainment!

Guilty! It's the peanut gallery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Rod View Post
That's where I have been looking. Direct link?

The wait is killing me.
2013 Hammertown Map and Updates From Dave Cole | Ultra4Racing.com

Try that one.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 43169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
----wood IS for sale if you don't bring enough.
Please only buy from the KOH approved vendor. He/they donate for land use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmikemike View Post
My bad, I didn't zoom in far enough. Dam old eyes.
Thanks.
Mothfukle; JV post #121 *GO EAST MARINES!* Sig# 1,681
Steve, just a Ultra4 volunteer course worker.
Mud Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 235576
Im planning on coming to KOH this year for the first time. I will most likely be tent camping. My biggest question is, will my mostly stock 08 F250 be able to get me to most/ best spectator spots. My jimmy wont be 100% trail ready by then and I would rather not pay the extra in fuel towing it all the way from south texas.lol This thread has alot of good info and answered most of my questions.
stx08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 294
In years past, spectator areas were accessible by 2wd vehicles. I'm sure this year will be no different.

Last edited by Jeepskickass; 01-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Jeepskickass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 147306
x2
I'm hoping my stock 4x4 hemi Jeep Commander will get my by this year as my tj is under the knife
Intenseblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #59 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx08 View Post
Im planning on coming to KOH this year for the first time. I will most likely be tent camping. My biggest question is, will my mostly stock 08 F250 be able to get me to most/ best spectator spots. My jimmy wont be 100% trail ready by then and I would rather not pay the extra in fuel towing it all the way from south texas.lol This thread has alot of good info and answered most of my questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intenseblue View Post
x2
I'm hoping my stock 4x4 hemi Jeep Commander will get my by this year as my tj is under the knife
A stock 4x4 will make it to all the official spectator areas. A 2WD anything will make it to Hammertown easily and most spectator areas, if you want to abuse it a little. The only issue might be sand and ground clearance in certain areas, but there will be several thousand people around that would probably be happy to pull you out after they laugh at you some.

Last edited by TurtleTruck; 01-06-2013 at 09:05 PM.
TurtleTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Planning on rolling in on Mon. or Tue. First time, camp location is my question. Would like to park the RV near other PBB folks who like to drink around the fire in the evening W#@&% permitting. Would like to be close enough to Hammertown to watch and possibly assist teams in race prep. My 21 year old son and I are handy with tools but would be happy just to fetch stuff and hold lights, tools, beer, parts, our comments, etc if needed. Any suggestions for camping site complete with road directions and names of neighbors? We will be in a 25-28 ft MH towing jeep on trailer.
GL with that. Usually showing up in the middle of the night and driving around for about 30 min. will find you the best spot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyBeerMan View Post
1. Bring Motorhome
2. Bring Wife
3. Do NOT shop at a truck stop for her birthday gifts on the way to KOH (again)
4. Bring firewood.
5. Load up 1 thirty pack of beer, per day, per adult.

That is the recipe for a happy KOH experiance.
#5 is surprisingly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan55 View Post

It is weird that some of the "Locals" have Canadian accents.
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 92199
Send a message via Skype™ to wworninja
Been a few years since i made it down, but after reading all this I'm making it out in an RV come hell or high water....

Useful tip-if its windy better have goggles
wworninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 36782
Edit: I guess the question being asked of me was can a person ride in the back of a buggy out to the spectating area without a seat legally?
A Buddy of ours is wanting a ride from the lake bed to spectate in the back of the buggy behind the seats!!!

Thanks Robert
Formula Toy #024 has a few scratches!!!

Last edited by WRANGLER BOB; 01-09-2013 at 12:35 PM.
WRANGLER BOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 161284
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLER BOB View Post
Edit: I guess the question being asked of me was can a person ride in the back of a buggy out to the spectating area without a seat legally?
A Buddy of ours is wanting a ride from the lake bed to spectate in the back of the buggy behind the seats!!!

Thanks Robert
No, BLM will not be pleased, plenty of previous actions have ended with very bad results, those of us doing medical would like to avoid flying out somebody because they got tossed in a bomb crater.
calstyl2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:

Thanks Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by calstyl2 View Post
No, BLM will not be pleased, plenty of previous actions have ended with very bad results, those of us doing medical would like to avoid flying out somebody because they got tossed in a bomb crater.
if its the chick in his avatar, can we make an exception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.

Last edited by sceep; 01-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 88819
I'm the passenger in question, looking to catch a ride out to watch no high speed dry lake running planned. My question is what's the difference of riding in the buggy and riding in the back of a pickup? I seen plenty of that last year.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #66 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty chris View Post
I'm the passenger in question, looking to catch a ride out to watch no high speed dry lake running planned. My question is what's the difference of riding in the buggy and riding in the back of a pickup? I seen plenty of that last year.
nothing. they are both illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.

Last edited by sceep; 01-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 36782
Quote:
Originally Posted by calstyl2 View Post
I'm not looking to do this but trying to tell a buddy yes its legal or no it is not.

He will probably do it anyway because he has a problem with authority!!!!

He has already told said buddy when we go to hit trails he is stuck in camp because of safety. But would haul him to spectate
Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 88819
Looking at California ohv laws now, what do they classify buggies as? It's not and rov due to engine size "more than 1000cc".
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 36782
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
if its the chick in his avatar, can we make an exception?

My wife wouldnt need a seat belt she would be on my lap and couldn't fall off if you get my drift!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 88819
Well i just read the California ohv/rov laws and the only thing i can see is i have to be belted in, must be able to reach a suitable hand hold while belted and feet must be flat on the floor while sitting flat against the seat back. So if i were to put a seat sideways behind the pass seat of an ftoy that has a seat belt will that keep the fuzz happy?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 43169
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty chris View Post
Well i just read the California ohv/rov laws and the only thing i can see is i have to be belted in, must be able to reach a suitable hand hold while belted and feet must be flat on the floor while sitting flat against the seat back. <This applies mostly to UTV's. So if i were to put a seat sideways behind the pass seat of an ftoy that has a seat belt will that keep the fuzz happy?
If the seat is mounted securely along with the seat belt, I think you will be fine/legal.
Mothfukle; JV post #121 *GO EAST MARINES!* Sig# 1,681
Steve, just a Ultra4 volunteer course worker.
Mud Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #72 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
I do remember people being pulled over and ticketed last year on the way back from Choc thunder. Think about it... if you are pulled over for something like that, what else will they site you for. Not worth it....

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 136053
Soap Box

Here goes...common sense and safety usually don't coexist when we hear of an accident. You do not have to go fast to get hurt badly. If you are unfamiliar with the laws and regulations and you think it may be a violation of some kind...it probably is! How many threads do we read a year where someone was only driving a short distance and their junk broke or rolled? Then we all say how stupid people are and become critics. How about we become critical with our safety before it gets to a breaking point?

If it looks even remotely unsafe and you are within HammerTown proper you will be confronted. If you are outside the boundaries there are plenty of uniformed LEOs looking for reasons to stop you! As mentioned before...what else will they find wrong on a vehicle they may have no clue about.

The craters, the whoops, the ledges, the 40k other people weaving across the lakebed...will jump out at you in a hurry! I am sure we will respond to extreme accidents that could have been avoided again this year...but it would be awesome if we didn't have to.

Climbing off the box now!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 230495
I'll be there this year!!
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #75 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 124876
Quote:
I'm not looking to do this but trying to tell a buddy yes its legal or no it is not.

He will probably do it anyway because he has a problem with authority!!!!

He has already told said buddy when we go to hit trails he is stuck in camp because of safety. But would haul him to spectate
tell him to stay home...A$$holes like this, screw it up for the rest of the 40k people that want to enjoy this for years to come...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in