Pirate 4x4 banner

$10,000 purse to climb Backdoor!

96K views 751 replies 242 participants last post by  waynehartwig 
#1 ·
Back in 2009, after tuning shocks all day, I wandered up to Backdoor at night and watched people line up and try to crawl it. Some guys would be at it for 30-45 minutes and not be able to do anything but break an axle and bruise their ego...only to see the next guy go right up it in a less capable rig without any issues. Every year I have been going out to Backdoor and watching the mayhem that ensues, and it never fails to let me down...someone is going to go big and get up it first try, and someone is going to break their junk.

After years of me talking about a night event out there, I finally go the green light from Dave and the BLM. So with a little help from my employer (King Shocks), 4 Wheel Parts, Raceline wheels, and RCV Performance, we put together a purse big enough for a few Rock bouncers to commit to bringing their rigs out, and I am sure that several people will be willing to risk their KoH racecar on the night before qualifying.

We are still working on the details for the payouts, but it will be nearly all of it ($8-9K) going to the fastest up, and possibly $1000 for the most spectacular crash or break. We...MIGHT...pay out 2nd and 3rd, but it will be minimal...its a "go hard or go home" event.
I will bring out the big King light, and Mulkey will bring his PA system for tunes and updates on times.
There should be a formal announcement sometime after Christmas, and we are thinking the entry fee will only be $50 (to cover staff and insurance costs)

Mike Leighton
King Shocks

See less See more
#415 ·
While encompassing the same percentage as a whole, NorCal should be bigger than SoCal. NV and NM are given too much credit, especially since none of the 667 boys are in. Overall, good work Chad, it gets the people going!

#426 ·
Well that pie chart put some pressure on me!! I am ready and Betty is getting close. I have bought every air filter in north texas that will fit her and just put a new tune in her!!! Now only 1,400 miles stand in the way.

See you all out there!
I'm always excited to see Texas Rigs hit that fall. Never been disappointed with Texas Talent and it sounds like an OilBroker from PILOT-Point, TX driving a rig named BETTY is gonna be a great show. :mr-t:

Good luck. :grinpimp:

#435 ·
It's not, but it does take a combination of talent and money with AZUndertakers trail junk usually being on the lower end of money but higher end of talent :flipoff2:

Here is a better angle of the left and right side that also created the above Meme.

Shannon Cambell at Back Door KOH 2013 - YouTube

Also here is some wheeling earlier in the week with no winching, 3 Campbell built IFS cars and 2 pieces of trail junk

Fast forward to 4:10 for proof :grinpimp:

MADRAM11 TOURS KING OF THE HAMMERS IN A HELICOPTER - YouTube

#447 ·
It's easy to hit the right line when you have all night to do it. :flipoff2:

I'm thinking them 4 bangers aren't gonna get it done, but it would be nice to see a none $100k rig win it. It's a WC obstacle, it's gonna be done by one of us. EC dude have a chance, but slim. We don't usually lose in our own backyard; well we shouldn't:shaking:.

Good luck to all. You're all a bunch of badasses for entering it. Talk is cheap, although I think all you guys will put up or shut up at the end.

#449 ·
a LOT of discussin about the right or left lines---
simple-
left-- is almost a straight shot-- very steep and double stepped- enddoos are gonna be @50% in taken too fast

the right line- smaller steps but DEFINATELY an off camber ride and roll-overs are @ 75%

your choice, but a ram-it isn't gonna get you anywhere except on your lid !!!

hint=== left line is GOOD IF IF you know where the tire notch is !

right== all about approach angle ! AND the two tire notches !!:grinpimp:

#452 ·
Its just like Hot Springs. If this event was Saturday after the KOH race everyone who was not broken would sign up and race. For those teams that have spare pre running buggies its easy to compete in both but nobody wants to break and tear their beautiful cars up before the big race. Our team would be all over this for Saturday but it will be a fun and awesome event to start the KOH week off right this year.

And don't worry all of us will be very close by watching this backdoor event for sure!:grinpimp: LIGHT IT UP!!

See you all on the lakebed!

#456 ·
Are you all ready? LETS GO RACING!!! I can smell and feel the lakebed and hammertown already!!:grinpimp:

#460 ·
Hey Dave Cole, and guys from SRRS,

I think you guys really need to come up with a special 8 inch or 10 inch sticker to put on our rigs,that are competing, to represent the back door challenge competitors!
Maybe something like the logo on the ultra for website for the backdoor challenge??

I know I would love to represent!
"HOLLYWOOD":flipoff2:

#463 ·
YES!!!!!!! I would even pay for a sticker to Represent. WaM BaM Thank you MaM

Being 2nd from last is going to be fun. One shot or nothing.

#466 ·
The announcing could possibly be the best entertainment.
I agree! The announcing I'm sure will be awesome.

Lol!
It's All About The sticker
Sticker? The aerodynamic loss that my pile of junk will endure from a sticker might cost me the race. I turn off all my accessories when I bump waterfalls just to put more power to the ground! :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.