What's the Purpose of the "Every Man Challenge"? - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #526 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukjunkie13 View Post
Cost to build my car without the gps and saftey stuff was right at 15k. I traded and bought used for alot of the parts on my car. with the misc saftey/gps crap Id say im sitting right at 18k.

You can build them competitive if you know where to spend the money.

What am I saying tho. I broke out at rm15 because of a bolt....

Lesson to be learned dont think just because it says grade 8 that its a decent grade 8 bolt
So your saying you can't build a Ultra4 for $10g?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #527 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 99633
Send a message via AIM to zukjunkie13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
So your saying you can't build a Ultra4 for $10g?

Shit i reused a bunch of parts for my new car and still couldnt!

#13 4500 Class Samurai
2013 & 2014 W.E.Rock Unlimited Class National Champion
2016 Ultra 4 Western Series 4500 Class Champion

ProComP Tires
ATF
JM Rigging
RuffStuff Specialties
zukjunkie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #528 (permalink)

Member # 426890
Quote:
Cost to build my car without the gps and saftey stuff was right at 15k. I traded and bought used for alot of the parts on my car. with the misc saftey/gps crap Id say im sitting right at 18k.

What am I saying tho. I broke out at rm15 because of a bolt....

Lesson to be learned dont think just because it says grade 8 that its a decent grade 8 bolt
Agree 100% My car (4600) was less than that the first year (2012) where i was 2nd place. I had better bolts I guess. 2 year I broke. Ring gear not a bolt. 3rd year 8th I think. I feel I am competitive as anyone for very little money just a lot of time and work
Bois 'd arc Stump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #529 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:

Shit i reused a bunch of parts for my new car and still couldnt!
How does someone build a rig with a Gearworks 10" high pinion front axle for $15k? I need some tips on how this is done.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #530 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 99633
Quote:
How does someone build a rig with a Gearworks 10" high pinion front axle for $15k? I need some tips on how this is done.
That has not be bought yet (middle of march it will be). I built my car for 15k. No one said anything about upgrades after its already built!

#13 4500 Class Samurai

ProComP Tires
ATF
JM Rigging
RuffStuff Specialties
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #531 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 36265
How did this go from "You can build $100k worth of car for $40k!" to look what I built for $15k???
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #532 (permalink)

Member # 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Just a suggestion, but think about adding another $2k to that number so you are not surprised when you get there.

My wife and son flew out, so an East Coast travel budget would loosely look like:
  • Getting the race car out: fuel or shipping is roughly $1800 to $2000
  • Airfare for family: $1100 in 2013, $500 in 2014
  • Rental car for the week: $275
  • RV for the week: $1100
  • GPS: $275
  • Food: $400
  • Entry fee: $650 to $800
  • Insurance: $100
  • Gas for race car during the week: $100
  • Gas for rental car on return: $60
  • Gas for RV on return: $150
  • Water and sewer pump for RV on lakebed: $100
  • Cash for problems you didn't plan for or breaks while prerunning: $500

That is $6k to $7K for a family of 3 depending on if you buy plane tickets or not.

I think you can simplify the pro mods down to three types:
  • Those who built their trail rig up just enough to pass tech
  • Those who built up a car that should finish
  • Those who built a/up a rig to podium

There is probably $20k to $40k that separates each of those categories from the latter.

That's killer you had the family there. And I selected option
1 I built my trail rig up to pass tech. And believe it or not people, passing tech is a victory in itself. Seriously.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #533 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Quote:
I built my car for 15k.
Quote:
I broke out at rm15

You will be a pretty big inspiration if you put a from scratch $15,000 rig on the podium. Assuming we agree that competitive means pushing the leaders and not being a trail plug.

NC4X4
Factor55
Spidertrax
Warn Industries
Rugged Radios
BAK Motorsports
Raceline Wheels
Cutler Fabrication
Polar Bear Coolers
Ruffstuff Specialties

Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @redlynerracing
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #534 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175109
I'm not a racer, just a noob observer who managed to break my trail rig on a tiny rock on a level trail at about one mile per hour. All this talk of tires and what is spent on rigs is missing the main factor. The same core of elite athletes lead the race every year. The talent, drive, desire to win, highly competitive nature of the kings is the factor most needed to reach the podium.

Yeah they all have great cars but that in itself is not enough. Watch the video of Randy Slawson driving over a trail plug last year, there is another "racer" passing the same plug but his whole attitude when he encounters the broken rig is not anything like Randy, or Shannon, or Eric, Tom, Loren,Tony etc.
Drakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Quote:
That has not be bought yet (middle of march it will be). I built my car for 15k. No one said anything about upgrades after its already built!
By next year's race you will have a lot more money into your car. Just about everyone makes upgrades to their car once it's built, sometimes to improve performance, sometimes because you realize what you started with just isn't going to cut it.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #536 (permalink)

Member # 6576
Quote:
I think most guys that say they built their rig for $10k. Is because their wives come on pirate and don't want their dicks cut off. I'm lucking mine doesn't come on here. Or I'd be dickless.
I have no idea what you mean, I built my car for way less than 10K

Don't ruin it for all of us!!!

Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #537 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 99633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtruck44 View Post
By next year's race you will have a lot more money into your car. Just about everyone makes upgrades to their car once it's built, sometimes to improve performance, sometimes because you realize what you started with just isn't going to cut it.
Yea i can see that happening. hopefully after the HP 10in that will solve the issue with my front driveline vibrations.

#13 4500 Class Samurai

ProComP Tires
ATF
JM Rigging
RuffStuff Specialties
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #538 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Yeah they all have great cars but that in itself is not enough. Watch the video of Randy Slawson driving over a trail plug last year, there is another "racer" passing the same plug but his whole attitude when he encounters the broken rig is not anything like Randy, or Shannon, or Eric, Tom, Loren,Tony etc.
Ironically TomWayes passed the same stuck car (trail plug) this year that Slawson drove over last year...

INSANE BACKDOOR RIDE Tom Wayes, King Of the Hammers 2014! - YouTube

The car (#4468) that went around the trail plug last year was John Webb & Cliff Behrens... I've known Cliff since 3rd grade (we are now in our mid 40s).
I almost went down to help work in their pit this year, but life got in the way.
That car was built in John Webb's garage on a shoe-string budget, with minimal sponsorship and lot's of help from friends.

John has competed in numerous KOH races, they finished 22nd this year (ahead of Miller), they DNF'd last year because they T-Boned a Rock & pretzelled the front 60 in a dust cloud.... Previous years he's made top 20.

I was thinking of them when I started this thread.
Like I stated before, I "thought" EMC was designed as stepping stone for racers wanting to transition for Amateur to Professional Racing.

If you read my list of "ingredients" for making the show, they are strong on Talent & Determination.
They have Minimal funds (by comparison), and have been successful largely in part by Volunteer support (Which is the case with Many, Many, teams discussed here).

I now realize the intent/purpose of EMC. However, I do feel that the race name "EMC" probably isn't the best title for that race.

I like the introduction different "classes" of cars over recent years. It allows/gives racers & teams the opportunity to compete that otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I think the Baja 1k/500 would probably be the closest comparison to KOH.

With that, I'm still not sure why there are 2 races (EMC & KOH). Why not make 1 big 2 day race, with all the classes combined, on the same track/course like Baja 1k?
(I'm just brain-storming here).

Pic of John & Cliff.... (They forgot no shave November ended Dec 1st.)
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #539 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
I think the Baja 1k/500 would probably be the closest comparison to KOH.

With that, I'm still not sure why there are 2 races (EMC & KOH). Why not make 1 big 2 day race, with all the classes combined, on the same track/course like Baja 1k?
(I'm just brain-storming here).
Baja is not a lap race. No way you could have a guy just out having fun in the stock class out there with teams that are making a living racing. There would be a ton of trail tampons throwing rocks when they get run over.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #540 (permalink)
Racing

Member # 104653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
I now realize the intent/purpose of EMC. However, I do feel that the race name "EMC" probably isn't the best title for that race.
Bingo.

I love everything about EMC except the name. People mistake the term "Everyman" with Budget or Beginner. Sure, you can be competitive in 4500 or 4600 for less than 4400, but "less than" does not mean budget, and racing on the Hammer trails is certainly not for every man.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the name being sexist

BroadSword Racing 4503

U.S. Marine OIF/OEF Veteran Race Team

Become a fan on

Follow us on

BroadSword is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #541 (permalink)

Member # 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
Bingo.

I love everything about EMC except the name. People mistake the term "Everyman" with Budget or Beginner. Sure, you can be competitive in 4500 or 4600 for less than 4400, but "less than" does not mean budget, and racing on the Hammer trails is certainly not for every man.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the name being sexist
I take the name to be "Everyman" cause you don't have to "qualify" to race. Anyone that passes tech can start the race. In 4400 you have to qualify one way or another, you can't just sign up.

At least that's my take.

And if Dave has to change it to Every person challenge, that would be gay

Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #542 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglyranger View Post
I take the name to be "Everyman" cause you don't have to "qualify" to race. Anyone that passes tech can start the race. In 4400 you have to qualify one way or another, you can't just sign up.

At least that's my take.

And if Dave has to change it to Every person challenge, that would be gay
Anybody can race KOH. Just have to pay the $2500 fee.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #543 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Anybody can race KOH. Just have to pay the $2500 fee.
That was this year only so we could offer the discount for racing the whole series. Secondly, if our growth rate continues for EMC, there will be qualifying to get in for that as well within a few years.

JeepRecoveryTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #544 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post
That was this year only so we could offer the discount for racing the whole series. Secondly, if our growth rate continues for EMC, there will be qualifying to get in for that as well within a few years.
No OG status? lol

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #545 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
No OG status? lol
I like it

JeepRecoveryTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #546 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 122053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam View Post
I like it
I like it too!
#4511 LetzRoll Offroad Racing

/
/

Back to Back Dirt Riot Endurance Racing 4500 class National Champion 2012 & 2013 // AZ Undertaker
alanzona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 335
Oh sh!t!!!!!! Qualifying for emc?!? Ricky Bobby and baby Jesus please use your magical healing powers and make me go fast to qualify.

Last edited by Jimmy; 02-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in