KOH COURSE MAPS COMING (FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE) + Hammertown - Page 12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #276 (permalink)

Member # 48084
My maps look great too.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #277 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlMan View Post
Just a thumbs up to Jake for helping me get things loaded properly on my phone. I tried loading by going to Internet and trying to download from there. They figured out what I was doing and when I went to the Google Play Store in my Apps selection all worked well. Thanks again.
Thanks for the testimonial.

I'm full throttle keeping everybody up and running.
If you need help, call or e-mail us, we're here to help make it right.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #278 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
EMC race today!

Hammer drops in 2 hours (8 a.m. Pacific)

Don't forget the maps folks!

Ready to watch some racing.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #279 (permalink)

Member # 48084
oops, duplicate post

Last edited by knaffie; 02-12-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #280 (permalink)

Member # 48084
I used your maps on my Ipad exclusively for prerunning. Worked awesome. And used it a lot for leading friends around for recreational wheeling. I have nothing bad to say about the navigation or maps except that the resolution when you zoom in on my phone sucks, but is fine on my Ipad.

Other feedback.... Bear with me as I was pretty drunk when this went down. Tuesday night when I was trying to figure out where we would wheel Wednesday without getting on the UTV course, I realized I needed the UTV course map. So I used the Cartotracks app on my Android phone because my Ipad is WiFi only. I went through the screens, entered by CC#, thought I paid, remember (fuzzy memory) of seeing a payment accepted screen, but was unable to download the map. I see that I have a payment receipt from Google Play / Paypal for $4.99, so the transaction went through. Never got an email with a link to download like the rest. I "assumed" purchases on the app and the website were linked, but it appears not. So I then went to the website and paid again with my CC, except it's $9.95 on the website. That worked. Downloaded to Ipad and all is well. It's not a big deal, but I wouldn't mind a refund for one of those transactions, since I bought the same thing twice. I understand this is all new and you're still getting it all working. Just trying to help.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #281 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I used your maps on my Ipad exclusively for prerunning. Worked awesome. And used it a lot for leading friends around for recreational wheeling. I have nothing bad to say about the navigation or maps except that the resolution when you zoom in on my phone sucks, but is fine on my Ipad.

Other feedback.... Bear with me as I was pretty drunk when this went down. Tuesday night when I was trying to figure out where we would wheel Wednesday without getting on the UTV course, I realized I needed the UTV course map. So I used the Cartotracks app on my Android phone because my Ipad is WiFi only. I went through the screens, entered by CC#, thought I paid, remember (fuzzy memory) of seeing a payment accepted screen, but was unable to download the map. I see that I have a payment receipt from Google Play / Paypal for $4.99, so the transaction went through. Never got an email with a link to download like the rest. I "assumed" purchases on the app and the website were linked, but it appears not. So I then went to the website and paid again with my CC, except it's $9.95 on the website. That worked. Downloaded to Ipad and all is well. It's not a big deal, but I wouldn't mind a refund for one of those transactions, since I bought the same thing twice. I understand this is all new and you're still getting it all working. Just trying to help.
Shoot us an e-mail at [email protected] and we'll get it sorted out there.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #282 (permalink)

Member # 17986
Just want to give a thumbs up to CarToTracks. We were there a week prior to prerun, and when the maps came out, they were off by my phone's GPS point by 12 miles. They got it sorted very quickly, and sent me out a new map same day. Excellent service! Thank you very much.

Last edited by pcoplin; 02-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #283 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoplin View Post
Just want to give a thumbs up to CarToTracks. We were there a week prior to prerun, and when the maps came out, they were off by my phone's GPS point by 12 miles. They got it sorted very quickly, and sent me out a new map same day. Excellent service! Thank you very much.
Thanks, pcoplin
Glad we caught it when we did. Glad we could turn around a fix quick.
Thanks for your understanding and support!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #284 (permalink)

Member # 89211
The map worked really good for me. It wasn't until I got to Pit 2A and everyone said it was 2B that I realized I downloaded the 2016 map.

You should make the older maps harder to find so tards like me don't accidently download them thinking they are the current year's map.
Sam24462 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #285 (permalink)

Member # 132116
Maps worked great for me. Great tool!
Mtn Valley Homes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #286 (permalink)

Member # 698297
awesome thanks!
techhnyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #287 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
2018 Course and Hammertown Maps are now LIVE

Another year, another new set of new course maps.

They went live this morning 8 AM Pacific.
https://www.cartotracks.com/maps/king_hammers

Old system still working where you buy from our website, download in the Avenza Maps app. Avenza, however, now has a new rule where only three maps are allowed in the app at one time. No big deal - just delete old maps from us and we can add them back later. Easy fix.

If you're an Android user, the ANDROID BETA CartoTracks app is an option still this year with the new 2018 course maps available there (iOS still coming later)
Unlike the other system, the app allows for in-app purchases and downloads - all right there!
Search the Google Play store for "CartoTracks" and download it!
Free app. KOH maps only in there right now for sale.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #288 (permalink)

Member # 208176
Purchased the KOH 18 Map when I was back in the Outer Limits and Spooners area doing some pre-running. I was on my iPhone with LTE reception. Transaction went through (checked my bank account), but I never got a link?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #289 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardWay9 View Post
Purchased the KOH 18 Map when I was back in the Outer Limits and Spooners area doing some pre-running. I was on my iPhone with LTE reception. Transaction went through (checked my bank account), but I never got a link?
E-mail us at cartotracks at gmail.com and we'll get you taken care of.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #290 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Full course maps won't be live until the morning of Jan. 31. Hammertown hopefully sometime next week. (That one will be free once again!)

However, we're doing something new this year. A pre-sale!
This is live on our site now. Knock out all of the first steps of getting a map now in the comfort of your own wifi or work wifi and then when we go live, we replace the "placeholder" maps on our server with actual course maps.... you'll just delete the placeholder map and re-download and it'll bring in the actual course maps. Simple final step(s) on course release day.

On our site now. There's a little teaser in the placeholder map too.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #291 (permalink)

Member # 726234
Just curious since I was talking to some buddies about this, why do you have to pay for all the course maps? Does Ultra4 not release the maps to the map companies for free? It seems dangerous and less fun when spectators can't even figure out where the course is. Last year I raced for the first time, and before backdoor on the lakebed there was a group of 5 or 6 Jeeps going straight backwards down the course, seems like stuff like that could be avoided if the maps were pushed to the public for free and encouraged and handouts given in Hammertown of the course map, etc. I understand CartoTracks and LeadNav and whoever has to make money, but it seems like Ultra4 is the one making the maps, so unless it's just Ultra4 selling the maps and you guys trying to recoup that cost then it'd be in the best interest of everyone to have free access.
snivilous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #292 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
The simple answer is the distinction between two terms, "map" and "data". Ultra4 doesn't make maps, they collect data (GPS tracks and points, specifically). We make maps from that data which enhances the usefulness of said data. Ultra4 makes the data available for free. Racers get it and use it to navigate. Spectators and racers alike also purchase our maps because of the enhancements we provide as a result of the countless hours of work involved on our part to dress that data up in a way that is visually appealing and geographically accurate. It's called cartography and is, essentially, becoming a lost trade (and quite a bit of art). So, data free, maps for sale. Make sense? It's pretty much that simple. We do quite a bit to give back into Ultra4 on a logistics and support side.

One other thing to note: on the lakebed you can go to the Ultra4 merchandise trailer and purchase a poster map every year of the courses. They're all dressed up with great graphics, sponsors, etc. Those are not free either. They're a map, produced from that same data. The time exerted by someone to make that map is paid for by sales of those poster maps.

Thanks for hopefully understanding. We're small business America. It's what we do.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:29 AM   #293 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
FYI everybody..... official course maps will go live on our site today at NOON PACIFIC. Pre-sale already live so at noon you can just delete and re-download or download for the first time and full course map will download at that point or very soon thereafter (give me a few minutes as they're all uploaded).

Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #294 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
This just went live.

First ever comprehensive map of Johnson Valley.
Compliments of Pirate's own "TurtleTruck".

Nice work Mark!

https://www.cartotracks.com/jv_guide...ley_california

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in