KOH COURSE MAPS COMING (FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE) + Hammertown - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34606
Send a message via Yahoo to cj5 buggy
Liked on Facebook... Thanks for doing this folks...
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5 buggy View Post
Liked on Facebook... Thanks for doing this folks...
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 8568
I am a Firefighter in my day job. We use PDF Avenza (similar program) at work daily and I will tell you it has made a standard GPS all but obsolete.

Good idea!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KOH 2009 Team 435
KOH 2010, 2011,2012,2013,2014, 2015 Team 4431
EMC 4619 2014,2015,2016
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNailJustin View Post
I am a Firefighter in my day job. We use PDF Avenza (similar program) at work daily and I will tell you it has made a standard GPS all but obsolete.

Good idea!
Avenza is the parent company who developed PDF-Maps - so likely the exact same app. There's applications (pun intended) for it everywhere. Powerful tool.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 56634
Will this have the trails on the map also?

Last edited by thebigredtruck; 01-22-2015 at 10:16 PM.
thebigredtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigredtruck View Post
Will this have the trails on the map also?
There will be a few trails that are pertinent to the course on each map.

However, it is our intention to produce a map or perhaps map(s) of Johnson Valley showing all of the hammer trails, land boundaries, etc.
So, use the course maps to get around to the spectator spots, watch the race, stay tuned for the main map post-KOH event.
Not to mention, if you're a driver, use it to navigate the course! These maps will show so much more than what a Lowrance with a single black line and an occasional waypoint will show. Load it on a tablet or iPad in a ruggedized case http://www.gumdropcases.com and a RAM mount http://www.rammount.com/products/xgrip (we can get those for you as well - just ask) and go racing!

Moab trails coming as well.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoTracks View Post
There will be a few trails that are pertinent to the course on each map.

However, it is our intention to produce a map or perhaps map(s) of Johnson Valley showing all of the hammer trails, land boundaries, etc.
So, use the course maps to get around to the spectator spots, watch the race, stay tuned for the main map post-KOH event.
Not to mention, if you're a driver, use it to navigate the course! These maps will show so much more than what a Lowrance with a single black line and an occasional waypoint will show. Load it on a tablet or iPad in a ruggedized case Durable iPad Cases and iPhones Cases | Gumdrop Cases and a RAM mount RAMMOUNTS - X-Grip® Mounts (we can get those for you as well - just ask) and go racing!

Moab trails coming as well.
Awesome.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
...and by the way guys and gals, do the math.

A $10 map from us, a tablet or iPad, case and mount and you're still under the cost of Lowrance with antenna.

Does a Lowrance look this clear?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 123735
Just to clarify, the main benefit of this product is the quality of the map? I can easily find GPS tracks for the trails in Johnson Valley and load them to my GPS, but I'm limited to what maps I can use. I think your product would be a specialized map that was built to be dedicated to KOH for example. Am I understanding it right?

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking it, just trying to find out where/how it fits in. Thanks.

James
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Yes, our maps are our advantage. We are cartographers first. That's what we do. We just happen to love wheeling too.

There is so much more that we can convey on a map using this system as compared to a standard GPS unit. In a regular handheld unit like a Garmin 60 series, you're going to get a line and some waypoints. We can get text in there, color coding, we handle the contours, new Marine boundaries, BLM boundaries, endless options. We can name all of the trails right there on the map rather than having to move your cursor over the line (like in a Garmin) to bring up the name of the trail. We sort out all of that other information for you so all you have to do is wheel.

Does that help? It's kinda one of those things that once you see it, you'll get it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 18329
Love it!! This will be the first time to KOH for my brother and I so this mapping will be very helpful. Arizona has some kick ass trails that could use this mapping, (hint, hint).

Benny.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
PM me some contact info, I'd like to discuss Moab with you for Bronco Safari (Might work equally as well for Jeep Safari) we run less trails than JS though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We are building a new car

We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 192648
Also my 1st year and agree az Needs some mapping
Old 01-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
PM me some contact info, I'd like to discuss Moab with you for Bronco Safari (Might work equally as well for Jeep Safari) we run less trails than JS though
Should have a PM from us. Look forward to chatting with you. Happy to help.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 124801
Awesome idea, product, company and family. This will definitely set the standard for future off-road events, parks and trails.

XRR

888-449-7762
XRROC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
Should get all the trails mapped in it before the race, id spend some bucks on it since I'm heading down again this year. My buddy spent big money on a lowrance and a card with most of the jv trails on it. Info is already out there for you to do this.

Last edited by homeboy; 01-24-2015 at 11:52 PM.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #42 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 203225
Shouldn't be that hard to create a map with the trails. Just take a current trail map and geosyncronize it. This happens in less than 24 hours on wildland fires.

KK6IYQ
Ljwoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Yep, we're on it.
Should come right after the event.
Moab trails soon thereafter.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
After doesn't do much good, not trying to be a dick just seems kinda crazy not to take advantage of the business opportunity to cash in when thousands of out of state/country people are coming down. get it out before Koh and you already sold probably 10 or more of the maps just when I tell my buddies to download it who are also coming down to wheel.

this is great idea and thanks for making a hammer town map I will be using it, fingers crossed you make it happen.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 36440
Yes, not going to do much good getting it done after the event. I have money waiting so I can get it BEFORE I head down. This would be great on my tablet I have mounted in the buggy.

bigtoy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 416498
GPS Download???

Do you have a downloadable file for a Garmin? Sent you an email, although no reply yet...............
BigMike4918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 82770
Is it possible to add voice Navigation? Similar to what a normal GPS in a car would do?
lxh0318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Ok guys, gonna go through these one at a time....

There are some significant logistical issues involved on our end with respect to an overall, Hammers Trails Map. Namely, the exact Marine Corps boundary. We're working on it, data from any government entity of this level is tedious. We have some folks working on that. We understand and agree 100% with you on the need for it, the desire people have for it, but when we put our name on it, and the map is illustrating an inaccurate boundary, paired with the sensitivity of the situation with all that it involves, it's too big of a risk on our little business right now to put it out there with any inaccuracies that could get folks in trouble. Yep, the trail data is out there. Our first priority right now for our two person crew is getting the Hammertown map live, the course maps correct and ready and blessed by the powers that be with Ultra4 who have to approve, there's a lot going on with this and our time is tight. Trust us, we want it out there more than y'all. Thanks so much for the support and understanding.

All of that being said, we'd like to hear y'alls input on what you would want on the full Hammers / Johnson Valley map. Seriously, we can put just about anything on it. What trails, what points of interest, what do y'all want to see?

Now, the Garmin file question from BigMike4918.... no Garmin file. Our business, website system is directed to the mobile device market - smartphones and tablets. Sorry. What e-mail address did send out to? Haven't seen one come in to cartotracks at gmail.com

The app is not our app - so no way right now to incorporate voice navigation yet. However, we intend to develop our own app and are taking notes, making a list of things we'd like to have available within our app. That would certainly be a great one for the drivers in particular. Especially those without a navigator/co-pilot.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Wet Trail Wheeler

Member # 175109
Can your maps be used with any other navigation apps such as "Motion X GPS"?
Drakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
We're not aware of any other compatible apps, including Motion X.

However, PDF-Maps is a free app.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in