KOH COURSE MAPS COMING (FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE) + Hammertown - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 131010
We used it all week. We had it on android phone and tablet. I found that the app sometime says you are off map. Restarting app usally fixed it. Everyone needs to realize that this is a free app and a map that the app uses, it is not a 1200.00 gps.
Great map hope you do it again next year.
trailbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 5590
Used the maps on Thursday and Friday on my iPhone 6 while watching the EMC and Main Race. Worked awesome! We were able to see where we were at all times, we were always confident of where the course was, and we were able to safely watch from multiple locations throughout both days. Hands down it made our spectator experience 1,000 times better than it would have been with a paper map, and much easier and quicker than a gps. Worth the $10 per map, no question!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 63125
I used your maps all week, they worked great. Used them while pre running with two vehicles and only one gps. Thanks for your effort!
1986 CJ7 resto modded, Howell Injected 4.2l, SUA, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, 4:56's, Aussie locked Dana 30, Detroit Tru Trac AMC 20,

1991 YJ 4.0L, 3 link CO's front and SOA rear, 37" Falken MT's on KMC Machete Beadlocks, 4:88's, Lockrite locked Waggy Dana 44 Front, ARB Waggy M20rear
y2kmxz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 195358
My buddies and I were overall pretty bummed on the app. When it worked it was awesome, but it was rare. Tons of restarts to get it to work and it was about 10% it would work. I know cartotracks.com is not to blame. Just voicing my experience. Pretty much a waste of 20$ for me
MATEOFEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 5590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATEOFEO View Post
My buddies and I were overall pretty bummed on the app. When it worked it was awesome, but it was rare. Tons of restarts to get it to work and it was about 10% it would work. I know cartotracks.com is not to blame. Just voicing my experience. Pretty much a waste of 20$ for me
What kind of phone/device? I had zero problems.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 363
Tried multiple restarts, airplane, app on/ off, etc... Never got it to work on an iPhone 6 either.
Ended up using my Gaia GPS app instead.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #182 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
I downloaded the EMC course onto my old iPhone 4s, fabbed up a mount on the codriver a grab bar, and used it as our GPS for the emc race. Worked flawlessly.

If this will be happening for next years courses, I'll probably buy a tablet and use it as my GPS again next year...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special Thanks to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #183 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Thank you all for your input.
We're back home and anxious to hear some input from those of you who used our maps.
It's been said already - the app isn't ours - but we do communicate with the company who created it so learning from what worked and what didn't for y'all will help us give them some feedback on how to improve the app.

We've struggled to find a common thread among those who had issues with the app and it's function. If you had a problem, tell us the make and model of your device. Maybe how it was mounted (or not) while using it.

As far as the maps go, what did you think about them? It's been discussed already about getting the EMS workers located on the map - we'll work on that in the future and make sure we get that data as well. How about the labels, contours, general symbology? Like all of that? Tell us here, we're certainly listening.

Thank you, again, all of you.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #184 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
I got both maps; Droid Moto X Rev2 and it worked perfectly, both the download procedure and functionally. No restarts needed.

Hammertown map was for sure helpful. Only drawback to the course map was if I was off course, that's all it'd tell me - it would nice to have the whole thing covered. At least to place the GPS locator on screen. Would make traveling to the pits & spectator areas a bit easier (and navigating around, in general).

Thanks for the efforts, hope to see you back again next year

Flying Pig Racing #512

Last edited by vetteboy79; 02-09-2015 at 09:36 PM.
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 195358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DToy View Post
What kind of phone/device? I had zero problems.
I have the Samsung s5 and my buddy had s4. Both worked like crap. Tried everything. Restarts, app restarts,
MATEOFEO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 AM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoTracks View Post
Thank you all for your input.
We're back home and anxious to hear some input from those of you who used our maps.
It's been said already - the app isn't ours - but we do communicate with the company who created it so learning from what worked and what didn't for y'all will help us give them some feedback on how to improve the app.

We've struggled to find a common thread among those who had issues with the app and it's function. If you had a problem, tell us the make and model of your device. Maybe how it was mounted (or not) while using it.

As far as the maps go, what did you think about them? It's been discussed already about getting the EMS workers located on the map - we'll work on that in the future and make sure we get that data as well. How about the labels, contours, general symbology? Like all of that? Tell us here, we're certainly listening.

Thank you, again, all of you.
The map is great. Lots of detail. No complaints there for as little as I was able to use it. I didn't rely on it, rather just peeked at it a few times when we were taking a break. But the app sucks when it's constantly telling you that you're not on the map and you're right in the middle of it. I restarted so many times, I finally just gave up and stopped using it. Droid Maxx holding it in my hand while I drive. If you don't have "them" fix the app, it's going to have a major impact on "you" and your ability to sell these maps. Word on the street was this whole thing didn't work very well. First thing I heard when I got there Sunday - don't rely on the new cell phone maps, they don't work right. Not hatin, just saying - you asked for feedback. I'm looking forward to using this (I don't have a nice Lowrance GPS) but there are kinks that need worked out.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #187 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Thank you for the input. We're not taking anything personally, just wanting to improve the system. We're in this for the long haul. All of this input is good and we intend to go to Avenza (app creator) with it and see what they can do about it.

The issue some of you are seeing "not currently on map" is something that I've experienced myself with my Samsung Galaxy S5 (and previously with an S4) and I called Avenza and talked with them about it. They advised me to just let it sit for a bit, maybe move some, as it is a product of the GPS sensor in the devices trying to sync up with the GPS satellite signal(s). Once synced, no problems, just takes some time sometimes. I have another theory though: margins of the map. If we expand out the margins of the maps, it would give the app a larger "target" area to comfortably say that you are "on the map" prior to beginning to locate you more specifically on the map. If you are seen as being just off the map at initial startup, I'm wondering if it times you out or something based only upon the initial location. Lots to think about and evaluate. How old are these phones y'all are using that are giving you problems?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 382177
Quote:
Lots to think about and evaluate. How old are these phones y'all are using that are giving you problems?
Just for your data, older iPad, version 6.1.3, worked flawlessly all week.
iOS didn't seem to have as many issues as the other devices.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #189 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 186874
App and race map worked great used it to get our group to spooners and outer limits. Was very happy with it and hope you look to add more maps/updates in the future. ( Sand hollow, Utah please )

Used it on a HTC one, I updated all the GPS stuff and phone software before leaving home.

Only complaint was the food vendor locations on the map where way off, but doubt that was your problem and more so hammer kings.

Last edited by homeboy; 02-10-2015 at 08:33 AM.
homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 48084
Quote:
How old are these phones y'all are using that are giving you problems?
Droid Maxx. About 1 year old and was a "top of the line" phone when I got it, so it's not like it's old technology.
knaffie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 94747
My phone is a LG G2 that is brand new and runs the droid OS. I couldn't ever get it to find my location no matter what I did, and my friend that had it on his droid had the same problem. Neither of us were ever able to locate our location so the map did us no good. I restarted mine at least 20 times. I hope it works next year though because it would have been really handy a couple of times for us.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 69305
Quote:
Thank you for the input. We're not taking anything personally, just wanting to improve the system. We're in this for the long haul. All of this input is good and we intend to go to Avenza (app creator) with it and see what they can do about it.

The issue some of you are seeing "not currently on map" is something that I've experienced myself with my Samsung Galaxy S5 (and previously with an S4) and I called Avenza and talked with them about it. They advised me to just let it sit for a bit, maybe move some, as it is a product of the GPS sensor in the devices trying to sync up with the GPS satellite signal(s). Once synced, no problems, just takes some time sometimes. I have another theory though: margins of the map. If we expand out the margins of the maps, it would give the app a larger "target" area to comfortably say that you are "on the map" prior to beginning to locate you more specifically on the map. If you are seen as being just off the map at initial startup, I'm wondering if it times you out or something based only upon the initial location. Lots to think about and evaluate. How old are these phones y'all are using that are giving you problems?
Nice talking to you and your wife during lunch one day. Seems like I had more problems on Thur than on Fri. I was in pit row in Hammertown on Thur and I could not get the app to display my position. I also had problems getting driver updates around 10. I assume the cell tower got overloaded. On Fri I wandered around the course and if I got reception, all was good. I liked that on Fri the drivers' names were displayed in small print at each number. Was that there on Thur? I could get driver names if I clicked on their icon.

I really enjoyed having your app and thanks for developing it. Money well spent and I hope you paid for your trip from Alabama, I believe.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #193 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
My phone is a LG G2 that is brand new and runs the droid OS. I couldn't ever get it to find my location no matter what I did, and my friend that had it on his droid had the same problem. Neither of us were ever able to locate our location so the map did us no good. I restarted mine at least 20 times. I hope it works next year though because it would have been really handy a couple of times for us.
We're stumped on this one.
Really not sure why it wouldn't work for you.
Did we meet you inside a pit with Shawn Rants team?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 382177
Sounds like many of the problems were associated with the operating systems ?
iPhones worked great with your maps, even with AT&T as a carrier in JV, which we all know AT&T is signal challenged in Hammertown.
The GPS function was not affected. For trouble free use, maybe folks need to switch phones...
Old 03-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 34058
I had some issues with downloading of the on one map but otherwise it seemed to work pretty good for me Wednesday- Friday. For a phone I have a casio commando 4g on verizon. The only thing I would like to see is expanding the map area so you don't fall off it so quickly.

Last edited by black4x4; 03-14-2015 at 07:06 PM.
black4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #196 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Thank you all for your input, suggestions, downloads, everything.

We have some maps of Moab coming online daily in our map store just in time for Easter Jeep Safari. Here's a link to the store.

Just released a teaser freebie of Green Day and Minor Threat trails in Area BFE.

We also have some cool things coming tomorrow with an announcement on our social media sites, F/B, Twitter, and Instagram.

We'll be starting a thread in the "Land Use Issues" section tomorrow as well (yes it's related - you'll find out how tomorrow)

Thank you all, again, for your help getting us going.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #197 (permalink)

Member # 78
Use the map on my iPhone 4s for pre-running on my dirtbike and in the racecar during the EMC race. It worked perfect for me the whole time

'93 Dodge W250
12V, NV4500, 60/14 Detroit, 37's, service bed,
pop-up cabover, DD, Tow rig, Overlander

'69 FJ-40 2F, SM420, Fairy OD, 4.88's, SUA.
UA 2015
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #198 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Good deal, VooDoo, glad you liked it.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #199 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
Here you go folks, $1 to BRC for every Moab map downloaded.

Here's the tread announcing it here.

Thanks for all of your support!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #200 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 542161
A bump for last year's thread.

We'll have course maps again this year along with a Hammertown map (that one's a freebie)

All GPS-enabled for your smartphone. Make sure you get the app (PDF-Maps) and the maps downloaded before you lose signal.

Courses should go live a week or so out.

We're working on getting some "download stations" set up at some vendor booths in Hammertown to make it easier if you don't have them downloaded before you arrive.

Thank you all for your support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in