Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competitions and Events (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   KOH COURSE MAPS COMING (FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE) + Hammertown (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1968985)

CartoTracks 01-20-2015 07:20 PM

KOH COURSE MAPS COMING (FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE) + Hammertown

This is a bit of an introduction post as well as an information post.

This is something new to King of the Hammers this year.

We've teamed up with Dave Cole and the Ultra4 team to make a whole new kind of map this year. We are creating course and Hammertown maps that you can load in your smartphone or tablet/iPad (Android and iOS compatible) that are stored on your phone and do not require signal to operate (as long as you get it downloaded to your device before loosing signal) The GPS in the device is all you need once it's loaded to the device locally.

So, you own the map, magic blue dot shows you where you are on the map relative to the course, the pit you are looking for, etc.
Yes, DRIVERS, you can use this to supplement the Lowrance systems most run already. (A large screen Android tablet or iPad will work)

The first step that you should do now, is download the free app called PDF-Maps.
Here's a direct link: http://www.pdf-maps.com

The second step will be to download the maps you want from our website once we are given the green light to release them (late next week). The maps will all be located here: https://www.cartotracks.com/maps

The Hammertown map will be free, course maps all $10 each.

Real important: Make sure you download the maps you want TO THE DEVICE YOU INTEND TO USE IN JOHNSON VALLEY! One map per download.

If you're on Facebook and Twitter, please give us a "Like" for updates when the maps are released, further links, etc. Links below in our signature.

We hope you like our product and choose to give it a try. We are a small business (husband/wife team) and intend to map many of the popular trails nation-wide including all of the Hammers trails and Moab.

This system is very nice because you can simply load the maps to your smartphone and no longer need to fumble around with the old-school GPS units. Our maps can show so much more information than what you can load into one of the older handheld GPS units. Here's a short demonstration. Pardon my goofy voice. CartoTracks Maps in PDF-Maps App Demo - YouTube

We also are re-seller of RAM Mounts (See: RAMMOUNTS - X-Grip® Mounts)and will be loading mounts to our website this week for mounting your phone or tablet just about anywhere in your rig.

If you have any questions, shoot us an e-mail at [email protected]
or just give us a call at 256-714-2000

Tell folks about us please!
We want to change the way you navigate around on trails.
THANK YOU!
~ Jake and Jennifer White ~

The CartoTracks team, boss in yellow:

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...psd5abf95c.jpg

TurtleTruck 01-20-2015 09:03 PM

I have been working with Jake on this project to make the maps as accurate and useful as possible. He has been a joy to work with and has been teaching me a lot about maps and GPS. I think that this is going to be VERY cool! :smokin:

am4x4 01-21-2015 12:18 AM

Very cool idea..one question? Is the $10 to download the map to one device or will it be accessible on any device on that Google account? For example, I use an old smart phone as an mp3 player in my buggy and it would be nice to be able to view the map on it as well as my cell phone.

knaffie 01-21-2015 05:13 AM

Pretty sweet. My old GPS died this year and I was faced with paying $1000 for a Lowrance GPS and antenna which is way overkill for trail riding. I did not buy one, hoping this very technology would be enough to get me through most of my trail rides. I'm in for a Johnson Valley and Moab trail map. :)

And I also have a question related to above, if I pay the $10, can I put that map on both my smart phone and my tablet (both Android devies) or do I have to buy it twice?

CartoTracks 01-21-2015 07:05 AM

Sorry guys, one download per purchase.
It's not a purchase through Google or iTunes but through CartoTracks.
File control (think of it like a license for software) gets extremely complicated through those two sources. We had to come up with a way to prevent file sharing (not saying y'all are intending to do this, but it would happen if we didn't control it somehow. We'll be working on ways around this soon as y'all aren't the first to ask.

We recommend this third party app and have some limits to how we handle things like this. However, it's our goal to create our own app soon that would do much more. Baby steps. We're not a year old yet as a business.

mrdoug 01-21-2015 10:59 AM

perfect, I was wondering if anybody would start working on this approach. I thought I saw some mention of this in some post somewhere a couple weeks ago but couldn't find the link.

Perhaps get in touch with Area BFE? They have an app with the maps to their trails, but it's static with no indication of where you actually are, it could use this kind of GPS feature.

76scoutman 01-21-2015 11:15 AM

Subscribed for updates. Looking forward to seeing the final release since I've never been out there before I'm sure this will help a lot.

Will the free Hammertown map show all the vendor locations?

CartoTracks 01-21-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdoug (Post 29864249)
Perhaps get in touch with Area BFE? They have an app with the maps to their trails, but it's static with no indication of where you actually are, it could use this kind of GPS feature.

Tell them about us (whoever runs it) We'd be happy to talk with them.
All of our contact info is below in our signature.

Thanks! There are trails all across the country that would benefit from our product.

CartoTracks 01-21-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76scoutman (Post 29864633)
Will the free Hammertown map show all the vendor locations?

Absolutely.
All of the garages, short course, the perimeter fence, etc.

sceep 01-21-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartoTracks (Post 29864809)
Absolutely.
All of the garages, short course, the perimeter fence, etc.

^^ this is freaking awesome if the garages are labeled by team number.

no more wandering around drunk @ 3am trying to find your buddies tent that "is over there off of spidertrax somewhere"

Not that i ever did that, or ran into other stumblers at that time of morning....
:laughing:

CartoTracks 01-21-2015 12:52 PM

Bingo.

FSJ Man 01-21-2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartoTracks (Post 29866729)
Bingo.

Will this work on an iPad 2 without data? IE download it from hoke on wifi and use it in my jeep?

CartoTracks 01-21-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSJ Man (Post 29876609)
Will this work on an iPad 2 without data? IE download it from hoke on wifi and use it in my jeep?

It's a good question.
Here's what we recommend:

You have to have a means to download the app first as it's the tool that drives everything.
Try and download the app first (it's free) http://www.pdf-maps.com

Then, within the app, you can search by your location for maps in your area. There should be a free USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) map in your area. Download one and then turn off the data signal (airplane mode if available) and walk around in the yard or something. We don't have an iPad 2 to test it on otherwise we'd have an absolute answer for you. Feel free to give us a call or e-mail and we'll be glad to walk you through it if you like. Contact info on our website in our signature below. (Top right of homepage)

supersize75k5 01-21-2015 10:13 PM

Awesome

grcthird 01-21-2015 10:13 PM

Awesome stuff going on here, offroad navigation without the bitching betty telling you to make a u turn over and over and over. :D

Looking forward to spending less time wondering where I am and more time wheeling what I want to wheel.

smewhtguy 01-22-2015 06:00 AM

I have used this at golden mountain and it's a very cool little system.

Ljwoody 01-22-2015 09:12 AM

160 Attachment(s)
These are amazing maps! I have used PDF Maps on wildland fires and every crew was almost exclusively using this type of map. It works flawless. Worth the ten dollars. Thanks for making this happen!

CartoTracks 01-22-2015 09:33 AM

Thanks for the support folks!

By the way, if you're on Facebook.... we're sitting on 599 Likes.

#600 and you get one free map download!

We'll shoot you a promo code.

https://www.facebook.com/CartoTracks

CartoTracks 01-22-2015 09:44 AM

If you hit the LIKE button on Facebook and think you're the lucky #600, I.D. yourself here and we'll work on the coupon code.

mtrent3450 01-22-2015 09:46 AM

Liked on Facebook. I've been waiting for this so I can use a tablet for my GPS and music in my buggy.

CartoTracks 01-22-2015 09:54 AM

Awesome, mtrent3450 - winner winner chicken dinner!

Let's do this, shoot us an e-mail at [email protected] and we'll take it from there. Let us know who you are and we'll get you set up.

Thanks! Spread the word around for us!

Ljwoody 01-22-2015 10:17 AM

160 Attachment(s)
Missed it by two likes.... love pdf maps!

scaproni 01-22-2015 11:00 AM

so when will KOH be let out?

1uglyranger 01-22-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaproni (Post 29885761)

The Friday before the race. So, Jan 30th

CartoTracks 01-22-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaproni (Post 29885761)

When Dave Cole says "GO!"

"Late next week" is all we can say right now.

WE'LL HAVE THE HAMMERTOWN MAP AVAILABLE AS SOON AS WE HAVE IT READY - that map will be FREE.

All others $10 ea.