Ultimate Adventure 2015 - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
I took a 1 gallon zip lock of kitty litter for absorbent, a bag of shop rags, a roll of heavy shop paper towels, and trash bags. You can use it for spills or for a 'Wag Bag' type setup if you take a few extra trash bags.

Just as much as having 'lots' of stuff can be good, don't go overkill. It is really easy to take stuff just because. Your vehicle can get REALLY heavy really quick. You can't count on being able to ditch gear on 'trail' days. We did some 'shortcut' wheeling on road days.

Having things organized is a whole new topic too. Having to unpack everything to get to one thing sucks. You basically need to layer the gear in a logical fashion so you can get at some stuff easily....and tuck away other stuff that you won't need 99% of the time.

One other thing to think about....Beadlocks? I think some people and rigs can get away without them. I would do something if you can....even if its just taping the beads with Gorilla tape to help the tire stay on.

Something else. I know per the rules you don't need a cage ( being a full hard top vehicle ), but after watching Cooter go over backwards, I don't know if I could take a vehicle on this trip without at least some kind of cage.

I know a lot of us in open vehicles where lusting after some of the headset systems that where being used. Being able to communicate with your co-driver would be nice without having to yell. We developed some hand signals and used mainly telepathy. Don't underestimate how the road/tire/wind noise can grind on you. Being able to hear the CB is important, we couldn't most of the time. It's not like your going to be rolling down the road with the windows up and the a/c on....

An interior cage is already in the works, I've been there on not being able to hear the cb and literally yelling at the passenger to talk, my yj with the top flapping, windows out and 38 swampers singing makes for a tireing hiway drive. The truck is actually pretty quiet inside and it actually has a/c, but I doubt I'd use it much. I find driveing backroads without windows makes for a better experience .

Last June I went on a week long adventure wheeling trip. We would get to camp after a road day and would start talking about all the stuff we saw, the ones with the windows up missed it all.

Now Im getting excited again about maybe going on UA, I've been trying to not be excited until I know for sure.
93 toyota 60/70 yota/D300 7.17 #3rdgenclampy (sons truck)
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader

Last edited by phoneguy; 04-06-2015 at 02:37 PM.
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
An interior cage is already in the works, I've been there on not being able to hear the cb and literally yelling at the passenger to talk, my yj with the top flapping, windows out and 38 swampers singing makes for a tireing hiway drive. The truck is actually pretty quiet inside and it actually has a/c, but I doubt I'd use it much. I find driveing backroads without windows makes for a better experience .

Last June I went on a week long adventure wheeling trip. We would get to camp after a road day and would start talking about all the stuff we saw, the ones with the windows up missed it all.

Now Im getting excited again about maybe going on UA, I've been trying to not be excited until I know for sure.
A/C is kinda forbid on the UA. There have been people who had strange failures of their A/C systems Don't think it is going to be all backroads.....we did 700 miles of interstate on a road day. Alternate routes happen. Pewe doesn't like interstate, but sometimes it's the only option.

Don't let yourself get too worked up about it. Start saving up money now for the trip. If you get into the final 6 it will help you get ready. There will be a bit of a mad rush towards the end.

Do you have a full spec sheet on your truck? More pics?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Quote:
A/C is kinda forbid on the UA. There have been people who had strange failures of their A/C systems Don't think it is going to be all backroads.....we did 700 miles of interstate on a road day. Alternate routes happen. Pewe doesn't like interstate, but sometimes it's the only option.

Don't let yourself get too worked up about it. Start saving up money now for the trip. If you get into the final 6 it will help you get ready. There will be a bit of a mad rush towards the end.

Do you have a full spec sheet on your truck? More pics?
I saw you guys did some long distance runs, I've watched the video like 5 times, and all the others. I'm a junky for it.

I got the vibe that a/c wasn't used, I never saw anyone with the windows up.

I'll try to get the specs and some pictures later tonight.
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader

Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #79 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 2092
There's some good UA tech on here. Some other tips:
Last year I did laundry at the hotel before we left it and at the destination hotel when we showed up there. 1 pair shorts, 1 pair carhartt jeans, 1 pair nylon convertible pants. Turns out this was enough to live indefinitely with laundry stops every few days. Or somewhere to swim.
Don't bring any T-shirts, you'll get plenty. Literally you need the shirt on your back and a hawaiian shirt for wednesday.
We like a 5 gallon water cooler, work truck style. Easy to dispense from and keeps it kind of cool.
I haven't done a tent cot yet and I've been pretty comfortable in the rain in my ground tent. You do have to avoid being a moron and setting the tent up in a low spot.
gotta work now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alpha Base in the quest for fullsize GM offroad world domination.
6 years of KOH/U4 racing
10 Ultimate Adventures
Official Canoeligan
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Mieser,

Here is a partial screenshot from the app I sent with the specs, and the pictures I sent them.

Here is a link to my build thread.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...-89-v3500.html
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
There's some good UA tech on here. Some other tips:
Last year I did laundry at the hotel before we left it and at the destination hotel when we showed up there. 1 pair shorts, 1 pair carhartt jeans, 1 pair nylon convertible pants. Turns out this was enough to live indefinitely with laundry stops every few days. Or somewhere to swim.
Don't bring any T-shirts, you'll get plenty. Literally you need the shirt on your back and a hawaiian shirt for wednesday.
We like a 5 gallon water cooler, work truck style. Easy to dispense from and keeps it kind of cool.
I haven't done a tent cot yet and I've been pretty comfortable in the rain in my ground tent. You do have to avoid being a moron and setting the tent up in a low spot.
gotta work now
Thanks,
I've been considering a water jug like my work truck, I find I drink more water if I can just walk over and get a drink out of it, I guess it's a habit from work.
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 21320
I used this tent and really liked it. Small and thin enough to fit in between the soft top and the roll cage. I really liked the tent cot idea but didn't have the room

Broadstone Pop-Up Tent, 4-Person | Canadian Tire
Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 67249
Send a message via AIM to VTJeepCJ84 Send a message via Skype™ to VTJeepCJ84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCzuk View Post
I used this tent and really liked it. Small and thin enough to fit in between the soft top and the roll cage. I really liked the tent cot idea but didn't have the room

Broadstone Pop-Up Tent, 4-Person | Canadian Tire
I like that. If I get to go space will be tight on my rig. I'd love the tent cot but i'm just not going to have the space.

I think the only changes I'll make will be upgrading t-case outputs and adding a tailpipe to hopefully make road days a little better.
VTJeepCJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeepCJ84 View Post
I like that. If I get to go space will be tight on my rig. I'd love the tent cot but i'm just not going to have the space.

I think the only changes I'll make will be upgrading t-case outputs and adding a tailpipe to hopefully make road days a little better.
There are two kinds of tent cot now. The original folds up into a big rectangle, the newer version is more like a round tube shape. I think the newer version takes slightly longer to set up and you can't leave your sleeping bag inside.

Don't forget to plan space for your spare tire. 35-40" tires take up a LOT of room. You also can't leave the spare at camp, I asked. Most of the buggy type rigs strapped them to the roof mostly.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 78
Quote:
TDon't forget to plan space for your spare tire. 35-40" tires take up a LOT of room. You also can't leave the spare at camp, I asked. Most of the buggy type rigs strapped them to the roof mostly.
Fortunately my spare is mounted outside the rig.

It also doubles as a wheelie bar

'93 Dodge W250
12V, NV4500, 60/14 Detroit, 37's, service bed,
pop-up cabover, DD, Tow rig, Overlander

'69 FJ-40 2F, SM420, Fairy OD, 4.88's, SUA.
UA 2015
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #86 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8422
Send a message via AIM to inphobic
Lots of good advice so far! To add onto Mieser's road noise... One of my requirements with my co-driver was no plastic walmarts sacks. Those things are way too noisy in the wind! I packed my clothes in a dry bag and that worked great. We did chicken and bbq sauce on the motor, managed not to eat it for lunch but was ready for dinner by the time we got to camp.. Alot has changed in the 10 years since I went though.

Lack of sleep was really the only departure from our normal wheeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 67249
Send a message via AIM to VTJeepCJ84 Send a message via Skype™ to VTJeepCJ84
Quote:
There are two kinds of tent cot now. The original folds up into a big rectangle, the newer version is more like a round tube shape. I think the newer version takes slightly longer to set up and you can't leave your sleeping bag inside.

Don't forget to plan space for your spare tire. 35-40" tires take up a LOT of room. You also can't leave the spare at camp, I asked. Most of the buggy type rigs strapped them to the roof mostly.
I'd prefer to keep my weight low and keep the tire off the roof, but I don't have a whole lot of options. The roof is definitely the easiest place to throw it.
VTJeepCJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeepCJ84 View Post
I'd prefer to keep my weight low and keep the tire off the roof, but I don't have a whole lot of options. The roof is definitely the easiest place to throw it.
You do what you can, but the weight adds up and the space goes away pretty quick. No to mention the impact of it all on chassis dynamics, weight balance, and visibility....
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #89 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
First pic of this years vehicle on facebook!

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
First pic of this years vehicle on facebook!
I saw that. Looks to be a jk frame. I'm curious as to what will go on top of it.
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader

Last edited by phoneguy; 04-09-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 127104
Hey guys. The rigs are all good looking. I can't wait to see the other ones that pewe picked as well. I'm sure they will be doing an online release shortly.

As far as tent cots go.... If you are going to get one, get the original one. I bought the new dome top one for the trip last year and really didn't like it. It takes up less space, but takes a lot longer to set up and break down.
oddrod4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #92 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddrod4x4 View Post
As far as tent cots go.... If you are going to get one, get the original one. I bought the new dome top one for the trip last year and really didn't like it. It takes up less space, but takes a lot longer to set up and break down.
Thanks for the input. I was wondering if anybody liked the new "roll-up" version. Regardless of the trip or not I have been planning on getting a tent cot for light/quick overnighters and think I will stick with the fold-up old style units.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddrod4x4 View Post
Hey guys. The rigs are all good looking. I can't wait to see the other ones that pewe picked as well. I'm sure they will be doing an online release shortly.

Good to know. We almost bought the new style last year, but didn't have the room. I really like my hammock setup as long as I can find a tree or light pole I need a lighter, easier to manage, tarp for the rainy nights. It worked pretty well overall, but I have been camping in hammocks for a decade or more.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #94 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Started putting together a list of must fix...and would like to fix. BUT I am waiting until they publish the top 12 list so that I know it is for real.

Till then I am kind of still in dis-belief that I was picked for the top 12.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Started putting together a list of must fix...and would like to fix. BUT I am waiting until they publish the top 12 list so that I know it is for real.

Don't waste ALL the time from the 'dirty-dozen' to the finals. I think it was about 3-4 weeks before we heard if we where in for the event. Those extra weeks make a BIG difference in how fast you have to prep and/or how much time you get to 'test' before you go. I would start to tackle some projects that you might do anyways even if you don't get to go in the end.

I think the 'dirty dozen' should be out this week if I remember right....I think ours came out on the 15th of April?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post

I feel the same way, I haven't even told very many people about yet. I want to see it online. I also am very curious about the rest of the dozen.

I've also started a small list, but I'm not planning any major changes, more duriabilty upgrades than full on changes, and saftey items.
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 78
The VooDoo Cruzer is able to go as it sits. But...............
there's a few things I've been wanting to, and a bunch of maintanence. This gives me a bit more motivation to get 'er done. I work better under pressure.

Regardless if I'm selected, The rig will be good to go for the summer.

Mieser, I've been thinking about your pre-made hot water meals and no cooler.
Didn't the canned meat need to stay cool after you opened it to pre make the stuff

I may pull the trigger on a 12v fridge if I'm selected.

Harvester, I'd bet you will get picked. Your Scout is a perfect unique fit for the trip.

Phoneguy, they always seem to have full size rigs too.

I'd bee lying if I said I wasn't too excited about it. I've been rewatching all the UA videos I can find. Keeping my fingers crossed.

'93 Dodge W250
12V, NV4500, 60/14 Detroit, 37's, service bed,
pop-up cabover, DD, Tow rig, Overlander

'69 FJ-40 2F, SM420, Fairy OD, 4.88's, SUA.
UA 2015
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post

Mieser, I've been thinking about your pre-made hot water meals and no cooler.
Didn't the canned meat need to stay cool after you opened it to pre make the stuff
I just put the can/pouch in the meals freezer bag....still sealed. Then I just opened it and poured it in the hot water when it was time to eat. No refrigeration needed. The hot water heats up whatever meat you want. If you don't want to mix it you can leave the foil pouches in the hot water still sealed and they will heat up ( kinda like an MRE heater ).

I'm not this creative, but there are TONS of recipes for meals like this out of the lightweight backpacking world.

Recipe Home - Trail Cooking

They tend to do more dehydrated stuff to save weight. I don't care about weight as much so I used prepackaged/precooked meats in most of my meals. If you look around you can get a lot in foil pouches now...tuna, salmon, chicken, etc.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 78
Thanks. That makes sense. Great ideas for good quick healthy food on the go.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 12598
Meiser I'm friends with Vj and Travis. Travis said it was pretty funny you always had something to eat but nobody could tell where you were getting it from.

88 sammy with yotas and low low gears
blt2rok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in