KOH Story, What took You Out? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 87409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 4x4 View Post
Sorry to hear that, Ted. We broke our front passenger main leaf at about RM 20 during prerunning, but fixed it up as we had spare main leafs. Breaking it in the whoops at speed made for a sketchy ride though.

In the main event we quickly discovered a new weak link in the build. The third members were freshly rebuilt during race prep and held up through break-in and prerunning just fine, but by the time we got just past RP1 both diffs were shrapnel, and the rear blew a hole right through the casing.
Your team loaned us a main leaf but I couldn't make the 1:00 pit 1 cutoff so I stayed out and helped 2 other teams get moving again. Thanks anyway! Sorry about your carnage. I have had lots of ring and pinion issues in the past. Were they new gear sets?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Just downloaded pics from my phone of the carnage...

The material is 1.5x.250 wall DOM. I can't find numbers on what it takes to pull apart that size, but saw .120 wall being around 36,000 psi. I'm going to make sure none of it bent before the break, and if so, I'll just rebuild. I see nothing bent by sight... I had a metallurgist come look at it Monday morning, and he can't find anything that would make it fail. Welds all held and all of the steel around the area still looks straight.

As for the shocks, being compressed and bottomed out that hard, I will probably just send them to Radflo for inspection/repair. Minimum replace the hoses.

My co dawg is like 6' 8" and the boulder was well above his knee... So 30" tall?

And a pic on the trailer at a turn out on HWY 247, near Lucerne.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 82252
4877 lost a front RC 60 ring and pinion around rm 30, we limped it on to pit
1b. Replaced the gear set and were back on course in under 2 hrs. When the car was reassebled there was a loose lug stud that was spinning when they were installing the lug nuts, chose the move on without it. Around rm48-49 the lug stud worked its way into the spindle studs and wiped them all out and the hub tried to leave the car. We had a great crew and a great time!
Attached Images

Wheelers For The Wounded of California

Co Driver- 4877 Team All Terrain Concepts/ Jam Fab
STILWELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex-lego View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Guys in the 4wheel parts car? We saw them hit a big rock trying to climb a hill and the driver was transported by helicopter.
I just want to know how he is doing.
wasn't that Greg Adler just getting a ride to Hollywood for the under cover boss episode he did for 4wheel parts
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex-lego View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Guys in the 4wheel parts car? We saw them hit a big rock trying to climb a hill and the driver was transported by helicopter.
I just want to know how he is doing.
Brent was air lifted. I watch it live and it was a very hard hit to the bulk head. Car came to a dead stop. He was released from the ER with a compression fracture in his lower back and will be in a brace for a few months. But should make a full recovery.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 165390
Quote:
Originally Posted by varokcrwlr View Post
Your team loaned us a main leaf but I couldn't make the 1:00 pit 1 cutoff so I stayed out and helped 2 other teams get moving again. Thanks anyway! Sorry about your carnage. I have had lots of ring and pinion issues in the past. Were they new gear sets?
Yes, we tried 4.88's for this one.
#488 Stock Class Blue 1985 Toyota
Stealth 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 24027
Send a message via MSN to FSJ Man Send a message via Yahoo to FSJ Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by momar View Post
4518 Lost 1st gear right after pit1. Pushed the fender into a power steering line before main pit. Shorted some wiring and had to push start it out of main haha. Turned out it was our compressor ground shorting on the charge wire, so no lockers as we got into the rocks. Fixed all that, then sheared driver side hub studs in wrecking ball. Called it a day at chocolate thunder.
Ever figure out what was going on with winch? I was orange vest who was at CT with y'all while you guys debated what to do.
Greater love hath no man than this,that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
[QUOTE=DRM;13870904]A
you guys are so cute when you get butthurt :laughing:[/QUOTE]

RIP Will Higginbotham :usa:
FSJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 87409
Quote:
Yes, we tried 4.88's for this one.
If you don't mind me asking what brand were the gears?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32809
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Man View Post
Ever figure out what was going on with winch? I was orange vest who was at CT with y'all while you guys debated what to do.
Pretty sure it was related to the electrical issue from the alt wire getting shorted out. Battery wasn't getting charged right and didn't have enough power to run the winch. Thanks for hanging out and bsing with us while we pondered!

Off Road Lighting Solutions, Recovery Gear, Trail-Gear, Ruff Stuff, Method Race Wheels, Aussie Locker, ARB, G2

Thanks Trail-Gear, RuffStuff, Fox, Adco, dynomax, Project4x4, Hellfire Fabworks, Maxxis and 4WheelParts
momar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by varokcrwlr View Post
If you don't mind me asking what brand were the gears?
Brand doesn't matter... I'd bet a bag of donuts that it was a setup issue

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
Just downloaded pics from my phone of the carnage...

The material is 1.5x.250 wall DOM. I can't find numbers on what it takes to pull apart that size, but saw .120 wall being around 36,000 psi. I'm going to make sure none of it bent before the break, and if so, I'll just rebuild. I see nothing bent by sight... I had a metallurgist come look at it Monday morning, and he can't find anything that would make it fail. Welds all held and all of the steel around the area still looks straight.

As for the shocks, being compressed and bottomed out that hard, I will probably just send them to Radflo for inspection/repair. Minimum replace the hoses.

My co dawg is like 6' 8" and the boulder was well above his knee... So 30" tall?

And a pic on the trailer at a turn out on HWY 247, near Lucerne.
why no crossbar on the towers?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 165390
Quote:
Brand doesn't matter... I'd bet a bag of donuts that it was a setup issue
You would win the bag of doughnuts on that bet, Wayne! All the ring gear bolts backed out and started bouncing around in the casings, multiplying the carnage. In 5 years of racing we've never had that happen until we went to a new builder for our thirds for this race. That proved to be a poor decision on our part. Lesson learned.

And no... I can't name names. The guy did his best and had good intentions. It just didn't work out. That's racing. You make decisions to try and improve the car. Sometimes they work out, sometimes not.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
why no crossbar on the towers?
Why have one? Believe me, there is bracing in place to keep them in position. But to answer your question, I don't like the look, and it would have decreased visuals and etc.

Near as I can tell the only damage so far is a 6" piece of 1.5x.250 DOM and a ball joint. Granted, I haven't torn into it yet and checked it out... I do plan on tearing the front of the car apart and checking everything out closely before my next race in May. The tire, wheel and unit bearing will most likely be put in the spare part pile, just for the sake of how hard of a beating they took.

Quote:
You would win the bag of doughnuts on that bet, Wayne! All the ring gear bolts backed out and started bouncing around in the casings, multiplying the carnage. In 5 years of racing we've never had that happen until we went to a new builder for our thirds for this race. That proved to be a poor decision on our part. Lesson learned.

And no... I can't name names. The guy did his best and had good intentions. It just didn't work out. That's racing. You make decisions to try and improve the car. Sometimes they work out, sometimes not.
OUCH! That sucks!! I'm a picky sumbitch when it comes to diffs. I've found it's best for me to just do them myself and not trust others. The team is pretty much ran the same way. I showed up to KOH ready. When I lost the power steering hose, I replaced it myself. When I found heims loose, I replaced them myself. When I realized the ball joints were bad, I replaced them myself. Granted, I had help, but I was the #1 guy on the job. If it fails now, it's _MY_fault. Like you say, I think people have good intentions. But things get over looked. More hands, the more chances. If I was to let a group check out the car, I would have a check list and I would monitor it all, checking it off...

Old 02-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
here's a pretty good picture of the structure. That 1.75 sleeves the 1.5" inside, coming from the A pillar.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Why have one? Believe me, there is bracing in place to keep them in position. But to answer your question, I don't like the look, and it would have decreased visuals and etc.

Near as I can tell the only damage so far is a 6" piece of 1.5x.250 DOM and a ball joint. Granted, I haven't torn into it yet and checked it out... I do plan on tearing the front of the car apart and checking everything out closely before my next race in May. The tire, wheel and unit bearing will most likely be put in the spare part pile, just for the sake of how hard of a beating they took.
from the pictures it look like it tore at the end of the gussets and i bet the shock's leveraged more than the length of tube that is left on the mount. crossbar minimizes flexing at the tops of the towers.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 56693
nice carnage wayne! see ya in may
'79 F-350 Crewcab, Cummins, 6spd. 37s
NPF chassis, 6.0, 4L80E, 404s, 42s,
97 FJ-80, 3" OME, 35s, Lockers, 335k and counting...[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
montanatrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
from the pictures it look like it tore at the end of the gussets and i bet the shock's leveraged more than the length of tube that is left on the mount. crossbar minimizes flexing at the tops of the towers.
As far as I, or a metallurgist that looked at it already can tell, nothing is bent or flexed. The tensile strength just wasn't high enough. I hear what you're saying on the crossbar, though, but I don't think it would have helped in this situation. Probably would have caused the other side to fail as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanatrout View Post
nice carnage wayne! see ya in may
Can't wait! I'll see you there

Old 02-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 110916
got nailed by OK DOT on the way back east. added expense and 1.5hrs to my 44.5hr ride home. boooo for silly fines
Michael Abbatte #572 Ultra4 Class 4400
Lifetime LED Hahn Automotive
smichaelr22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by smichaelr22 View Post
got nailed by OK DOT on the way back east. added expense and 1.5hrs to my 44.5hr ride home. boooo for silly fines
Length or weight?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
As far as I, or a metallurgist that looked at it already can tell, nothing is bent or flexed. The tensile strength just wasn't high enough. I hear what you're saying on the crossbar, though, but I don't think it would have helped in this situation. Probably would have caused the other side to fail as well.

Can't wait! I'll see you there

It's not completely uncommon for things to Crack (if they are going to) right along side of a weld. I'm willing to bet a Crack started at the top of the gusset ant worked it's way around enough of the tube for it to break/rip apart.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 668281
Here is a video from KrawlZone about the everyman challenge. Its worth watching.
http://www.krawlzone.tv/krawlzone-ta...v=e75edac1b83f
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 165390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirt1973 View Post
Here is a video from KrawlZone about the everyman challenge. Its worth watching.
http://www.krawlzone.tv/krawlzone-ta...v=e75edac1b83f
Hey, I spy myself giving the KrawlZoneTV Host and co-driver Nathan Riddle a bit of last-minute advice about lap 1 right before the start of the race. 16:15 minutes into the vid. Haha! Sorry you guys didn't finish, Nathan. It's a tough Sumbitch. Come back in 2017 and give it another shot!

Last edited by Stealth 4x4; 04-16-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 110916
2300$ in fines was reduced to 4 warnings and 2 fines totaling 400$

branded a commercial vehicle (NY state pick ups over 6K unlaiden weight must have a commercial plate)
OK DOT searched my trailer after forcing me to return to scales
side tins on two race cars with advertisements = commercial operation

no DOT number GVWR over 10K: fined
no DOT lettering GVWR over 10K: fined
No IFTA sticker: warning
no trip permit: warning
37K lbs, out of driver class warning

I was calm, honest, and respectful. was surprised they let us leave actually. you have to pay a bond, cash or credit and you cant leave until you do. Was given a court date to return to dispute charges if desired. no comments on 2 55gallon drums or 13 11gallon race dump jugs in the front of the trailer. he was only concerned with what was on the sides of the cars. too bad it wasnt a badlands or Rausch race- there would be 1/2" of hardened slop on every inch of the car like there is right now from last weekend!

with some grey area conversation and playing dumb at the DMV, my 2014 Ram 4500 has now be reclassified as a Suburban with passenger plates. should keep the plate readers off me, as OK DOT said they would have never stopped me if the plate didn't read commercial or bus.
Michael Abbatte #572 Ultra4 Class 4400
Lifetime LED Hahn Automotive
smichaelr22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
So you had commercial plates and no numbers on the rig? That's exactly why got you nailed. Sucks you had to pay $400, but way better than the alternative!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in