Moab EJS Challenge - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Moab EJS Challenge

Last year while attending EJS, the Moab paper ran an article about a local Green activist that was picking up the trash of the bad 4 wheelers every morning during EJS. She had been cleaning up the trash left behind at potato salad hill. With EJS just around the corner we again started talking about last year’s story in the paper.
My family and I have made the commitment to be at potato salad hill at sun up on at least one day during safari. I talked to Scott Parker from Rock Buggy Supply at the TDS safari this weekend and he has committed to joining us with his family as well.
I would like to challenge the off road community to help me by committing to take one morning out of your vacation, get up at dawn, and clean the trash that is left behind.
I had planned to just head up with trash bags and clean it up before any green activists had the chance to get publicity but we can make this as big as people wish. I’m not looking for anything out of this other then to not read about some one out side of 4 wheeling cleaning up after the bad seeds in our community.
I understand that the spring break crowd has a lot to do with the trash but they are going to EJS because we are there. So the way I see it we can bitch about it or try and make a positive change. I will not be hanging out at Potato salad hill as it’s not the environment I want my kids in. Some folks on this board might be into hanging out there and for those of you picking up trash during the day might send a better message. What ever you can do let’s try and keep the bad press to minimum this year.
Please spread the word of my challenge to what ever boards you frequent. Maybe there is a business or group of businesses that would like to donate a prize for the most trash. I’m open to about anything you guys want to do on this. I have a friend that lives in Moab so I considered trying to pool money for a large dumpster, but I am afraid it would get filled with camper’s trash. What are your thoughts and ideas on this subject?

Jeff Knoll

Jeff Knoll and family as well as Rock Buggy Supply will take Thursday morning.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll; 03-31-2006 at 04:35 PM.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
We regularly stay after at least two nights to clean up and you'd be surprisde at just how many others do the same...I know for a fact that every time we've been there cleaning, there's been 10 others there too working for an hour or more.
This is something important to make sure to do. They bring in trash cans to help out but I will say this, I'm betting that it is not the many wheelers leaving so much trash...it is the local spectators and non-wheelers there for the show and booze that leave the majority of it.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1858
Cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- YOUR CRUISER PARTS SOURCE! - ARB - OME - Engel - Helton - AdvAdapt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep
This is something important to make sure to do. They bring in trash cans to help out but I will say this, I'm betting that it is not the many wheelers leaving so much trash...it is the local spectators and non-wheelers there for the show and booze that leave the majority of it.
Dustin are you saying yes trash cans are good or no they are not? I have mixed feelings about the trash cans. I wonder if they won't compound the trash issue. Seems you have more experience with this so I appreciate your reply.
Looks like I have a couple other folks willing to take a day over on Jeepaholics.

Jeff
xxxxxxxxxxxxxJeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
The cans they have there are great for what they are, including recycling bins...the problem is people just won't use them and someone else has to pick up after the slobs.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22023
Ejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep
The cans they have there are great for what they are, including recycling bins...the problem is people just won't use them and someone else has to pick up after the slobs.
What the hell is wrong with people. I just finished moving out 4 40' full dumpsters from TDS Safari. What happened to pack it in pack it out? We picked up at least 1/2 of a dumpster of trash just left behind.
17 RZR
Bo Neece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
The same BudLight blazer nicely used your trash bins as well...

Pack it in, pack it out...how tough is that???
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 47820
Our Club Will Arrive Friday Night Before Big Saturday. We Are Running A Trail With The Ejs Saturday And Will Be There The Week Following. So Any Day After That We Could Be There Just Let Us Know......bryan Cooper
OFFLIMITS4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFLIMITS4WD
Our Club Will Arrive Friday Night Before Big Saturday. We Are Running A Trail With The Ejs Saturday And Will Be There The Week Following. So Any Day After That We Could Be There Just Let Us Know......bryan Cooper
You guys want the Monday after Easter? That would be the last sweep.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Neece
What the hell is wrong with people. I just finished moving out 4 40' full dumpsters from TDS Safari. What happened to pack it in pack it out? We picked up at least 1/2 of a dumpster of trash just left behind.
It is a shame. I hauled a buggy full of beer cans, wine bottles and general trash back to camp from the notches Sat night. People are pigs. I just don't want to read the Moab paper again this year blaming people like me for pigging up the place. I was ashamed of the trash I saw comming back to camp Sat. night. there was toilet paper everywhere. I am sorry the TDS club had to clean up after the slobs.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 12642
Send a message via AIM to Xtremjeepn Send a message via Yahoo to Xtremjeepn
I am starting to build my Chevy truck into a "Trial Cleanup" rig only. Building it specifically for the purpose of trail clean up.

I was thinking about taking it to Moab, parking it at trial heads. Equiping it with trash bags and signs instructing people to take a bag, clean up and deposit the bag back in the truck when done.

I just started the project so it is very rough. Will eventually be well equiped.

Planning on putting something like this on the side of the truck.

"This old ragged truck is much like many of our trails. At one point in
history it was very clean, shiny and in perfect working order. As with many
things, time, use and neglect have left this truck and some of our trials in
a state of disrepair. We have decided to bring some new life to this old
truck so that we can bring some new life to our old trials. We are recycling
this truck to be used specifically to clean up and restore our trials for
everyone to enjoy. This will not be limited to just off-road vehicle use,
but outdoor projects in general. This truck and our trials are maintained by
people and companies that want to see the environment preserved for our
current and future enjoyment."

Old 03-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 47820
no problem......monday is fine let us know for sure and we will be there ...love to be involved and we always bring back more than we take in...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
I am starting to build my Chevy truck into a "Trial Cleanup" rig only. Building it specifically for the purpose of trail clean up.

I was thinking about taking it to Moab, parking it at trial heads. Equiping it with trash bags and signs instructing people to take a bag, clean up and deposit the bag back in the truck when done.

I just started the project so it is very rough. Will eventually be well equiped.

Planning on putting something like this on the side of the truck.

"This old ragged truck is much like many of our trails. At one point in
history it was very clean, shiny and in perfect working order. As with many
things, time, use and neglect have left this truck and some of our trials in
a state of disrepair. We have decided to bring some new life to this old
truck so that we can bring some new life to our old trials. We are recycling
this truck to be used specifically to clean up and restore our trials for
everyone to enjoy. This will not be limited to just off-road vehicle use,
but outdoor projects in general. This truck and our trials are maintained by
people and companies that want to see the environment preserved for our
current and future enjoyment."

Cole I bet you would have little trouble finding sponsors to help with building the truck, putting gas in it and stocking it with trash bags. What a cool idea. My hat is off to you sir, If there is any thing I can do to help you with that please don't be shy.
E-mail [email protected]
Old 03-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12642
Thanks for the input Jeff.

Like I said. We have just started the project so any help we can get is great.

I want to create something that helps to promote the positive side of the sport. Something to really show that there are people like everyone in this thread that spend their time taking care of the environment and not just trashing it.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4002
This is a great idea and possibly a great way to get some more good publicity for our sport/hobby.
herzog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
6x6x6 ROCKCRAWLER!!

Member # 66537
Send a message via Yahoo to turbosniper1
I will be out there on Friday morning... I will see who else I can round up... might be able to get a couple of the Dodge clientell there that morning.
Matt
turbosniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15393
Hopefully EJS wont be as over ran with the Spring Break peeps this year. I know my Spring break is four weeks before EJS even starts.

Is there anyone cleaning up Sun. the 16th? If not, Weston and I would be available that morning.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Please copy, paste, and add your name and date you want to clean on this list. Its ok to jump on any date that is allready taken. Like it's been said this is a large area and will take plenty of work to clean.

Sat. April 8

Sunday April 9

Monday April 1o

Tuesday April 11

Weds, April 12
Scott Hartman and Family
Over2land & SuthrnJpGrl

Thursday April 13 (Pass over)
Jeff Knoll and Family
Scott Parker and Family

Friday April 14th (good Friday)
Turbo sniper 1

Big Sat. the 15th

Easter Sunday
Bryan Gillespie

Monday the 17th
OFFLIMITS4WD
Old 03-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
6x6x6 ROCKCRAWLER!!

Member # 66537
Sat. April 8

Sunday April 9

Monday April 1o

Tuesday April 11

Weds, April 12
Scott Hartman and Family
Over2land & SuthrnJpGrl

Thursday April 13 (Pass over)
Jeff Knoll and Family
Scott Parker and Family

Friday April 14th (good Friday)
Turbosniper 1- Matt Klouzek
Stan Prueitt & Family, & TTC guys

Big Sat. the 15th

Easter Sunday
Bryan Gillespie

Monday the 17th
OFFLIMITS4WD

Last edited by turbosniper1; 03-13-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn
Thanks for the input Jeff.

Like I said. We have just started the project so any help we can get is great.

I want to create something that helps to promote the positive side of the sport. Something to really show that there are people like everyone in this thread that spend their time taking care of the environment and not just trashing it.

Someone ought to find the Ford Explorer they built on Monster Garage that picks up trash, jack it up with offroad mods and bring it to EJS!

Great idea, though.

Sean
Old 03-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 47820
Thats It........come On Guys....we Can Do Better Than That.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 13974
Heres the link to the master list.

I'm using this thread as the master list for the clean up.
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/t...TOPIC_ID=47144

The logistics of updating multiple forums will become difficult. Al @ JA has been so nice as to make it a sticky on his board so I'm using that as the master. It will get lost over here so That was the reason. Thankyou to the guys that have helped spread the word , and lets keep it going. There seems to be a few more people comming out then are on the list. So please incourage every one to post there name on the list.

I have made contact with two Moab residents that are going to make an effort to put me in touch with the right people to help with logistics. Currently I am working on a location to take the trash to. I am also trying to make contact with someone of authority who can grant us acsess to the site in the early morning hours. One group of people even talked about making breakfast for there club. So groups can make this what ever they want. After all we are out there to have fun.

Please continue to spread the word and as stated above I expect that the PBB could make an impact here.

Thanks for everyone's effort on this challenge.

Jeff Knoll
Old 03-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 12642
Here is a picture of the old truck I am fixing up to be a purpose built trail cleanup rig. It has actually gotten uglier since this picture. The doors were very rusted so I replaced them with a sweet set of gold doors. The tires were bad and on 16.5 wheels so they are now gone and it has a temporary set of Duramax wheels on it.

A couple of companies I have talked to love the idea and have agreed to support it already. Holley has been a great support with helping get the truck up and running. Carb, intake, headers and mufflers. Hopefully I can get it together well enough to make the 6 hour haul to Moab (and tow my Jeep maybe). So we have a few parts on the way. I also have a sketch of the custom work bed I want to make with recycle bins,trash bins shovel racks etc.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
6x6x6 ROCKCRAWLER!!

Member # 66537
I must agree with OFFLIMITS4WD.. is that all.. is no one willing to spend a little time in the morning? I know more of us are going to be at Safari!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 26188
Jeff CRAWL is going with you on Thursday.
powdr7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in