JP Article - Page 15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #351 (permalink)

Member # 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
Dear Mr. Cappa,
thanks for being the first with the balls to tell it like it is. Where do I get a subscription?

TEX

You know for a mud guy saying this......You have been on this Rock Crawling website for a long damn time............

Old 02-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #352 (permalink)

Member # 67386
Send a message via AIM to HsOffRoad
First Off, Let me Say...

I compete in rock crawling. I have for quite a few years, in various classes & sanctioning bodies. I've wheeled "recreationally" for countless years before that.... well before the idea of rockcrawling competitions was even being tossed around. I ran my own 4wd shop for the past 10 years. I know 90% of the competitiors personally. So what I am about to say is not coming from some johnny-come-lately or armchair-enthusiast.

I'll tell you firsthand (at least from my perspective), RockCrawling is boring to watch - ESPECIALLY on TV. Most of the time, it's just not all that exciting, at least not the way it's currently marketed. Sure, there are exceptions (like some of the "Hammer Down" Super Mod Bonuses in Jellico), but on a whole, it's just not that interesting to watch, and the TV coverage is dismal at best. It's not that I want to bash our sport... it's the truth.

Rock racing... that has the ability to be more interesting if "massaged" properly, but it's not being utilized to NEAR it's full potential. Yeah, I know where guys like Dustin are coming from with objections to the business end of an article like this, but what Cappa's saying is just his opinion (Editorial), and it's shared with many others (myself included).

Stop taking things so personally, and instead, re-evaluate the status of the sport we all love. Stop dumping money into something that's not being properly marketed or configured.

Get up, get organized, get a voice... and say something.

Hans
"Shut Up And Wheel Your Junk" - UROC/NEUROC Super-Mod Team #143

Last edited by HsOffRoad; 02-17-2007 at 05:21 PM.
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #353 (permalink)

Member # 29766
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsOffRoad View Post

RockCrawling is boring to watch - ESPECIALLY on TV.

That is simply the product of shitty editors. I know people that could make slug races exciting with the right editing style. We need someone passionate about rockcrawling to get behind the editing software and make it fun, we haven't had that yet. It's like drag racing, mud drags, stock car racing, they don't show you every minute of the race, they show you the exciting parts, and fill in the rest of the time with interesting commentary, interviews etc... like baseball, football or Nascar, they fill in between clips with commentary, if you're into the sport you like it. Imagine watching an entire Nascar race start to finish w/o anything else... BORING.
crawlmag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #354 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavey View Post
That is simply the product of shitty editors.
EXACTLY! Did you see the recent Extreme4x4 episode about the Vegas Worlds? That's good coverage that was leaps above the rest done so far, yet it's still not where it could be. Hans, people drive round and round and round in circles (ovals) for hours on end and people LOVE it. Why??? Because it is packaged right with DRAMA....they're still just driving round and round and round...but you wouldn't know it by the TV coverage.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #355 (permalink)

Member # 29766
Look at the Baja 1000 - one of the most boring events in the world for a spectator. You stand around for 18 hours to see a few trucks whiz buy at 60mph.... 99% of the time there is no action, just drinkin cheap beer. But have you seen a desert video? They are exciting as hell!
crawlmag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #356 (permalink)

Member # 21752
Send a message via AIM to MUCHADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
EXACTLY! Did you see the recent Extreme4x4 episode about the Vegas Worlds? That's good coverage that was leaps above the rest done so far, yet it's still not where it could be. Hans, people drive round and round and round in circles (ovals) for hours on end and people LOVE it. Why??? Because it is packaged right with DRAMA....they're still just driving round and round and round...but you wouldn't know it by the TV coverage.
**LEFT DALE, LEFT***
MUCHADO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #357 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudezuk View Post
You know for a mud guy saying this......You have been on this Rock Crawling website for a long damn time............
It's always good to pay attention to what the "other guys" are doing to be successful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #358 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavey View Post
Imagine watching an entire Nascar race start to finish w/o anything else... BORING.
NASCAR has what it takes to convert people to the sport WITHOUT any outside help. On the first lap of the Spring Talladega race last year, 38 out of 43 positions changed. ONE LAP, and the last few laps are ten times more exciting than the first few. The action is extremely loud, extremely fast, extremely dangerous, and non-stop. We took a complete non-race fan to the Brickyard 400 a couple years back & she didn't blink for 3 hours. That kind of automatic mass appeal is something rock crawling will never have (nor will mud racing or Formula Off-Road for that matter). For one thing, as long as each car has its own designated space on the racing surface, the action will never be as good as NASCAR - that goes for mud racing, rock crawling, NHRA, and more. There's no doubt the NASCAR folks have done a WAY better job than the F1 folks in broadcasting their sport in the US. That's part of the reason for the success. But, the main reason is that something is ALWAYS happening, it's happening at 9,000 RPM, and you ALWAYS have a view of it because you can see the entire track (Indy being the exception).

TEX

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Old 02-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #359 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Gotta go, they just started engines at Daytona

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in