JP Article - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
98% OF ROCK RACERS ARE MADE UP OF PEOPLE WHO CAN'T GET IN THE TOP 10 OF A ROCK CRAWLING COMPETITION!!!!!
I remember hearing the stories from a few of my buddies that helped Judge the first NWRCA.

Several ARCA guys showed up, saw the course, and basically said fawk that shit, we aint doing that!

I'de go further and say that rock racing is for those that don't know how to drive, afterall all you need is a healthy drivetrain, a properly bought rig, a toggle switch for the throttle and a little luck. (ok, some sarcasm was in there, but not that much)

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Send a message via AIM to nasnut67 Send a message via Yahoo to nasnut67
Also it isn't like anyone held a gun to Walker Evans head and told him to rockcrawl or die. Remember he left NASCAR before he came to Rockcrawl!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 11983
Freedom of speech man rather you like it or not he is entitled to his opinion. Of course we are entitled to the choice of whether to buy JP mags or not. Its just that simple. I'll take the unpopular road and say the guy has a point I've been looking at the whole rock racing thing with some interest.
Now on to the some of his arguments I long for rockcrawling competitions that have the look and feel of genuine trail riding rather than cones and points. Judging on making it up obstacle in the least amount of time and with what kind of style or finesse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moveaside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 16583
Send a message via AIM to Spawn_X
crawling is fairly technologically advanced and which is why I like it, but the addition of speed it just gets 10 times funner

Only problem I see is.. $$. that's what stops me and most people probably
Spawn_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 3991
I don't put much thought into what a paid "athlete" has to say. It's not them talking, it's their money source filling their mouths with words.
attachcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #81 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
I'de go further and say that rock racing is for those that don't know how to drive, afterall all you need is a healthy drivetrain, a properly bought rig, a toggle switch for the throttle and a little luck. (ok, some sarcasm was in there, but not that much)
I don't think I'd go THAT far... I think rock racing is super cool... I just get annoyed with the rock crawling haters.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 12790
Now on to the some of his arguments I long for rockcrawling competitions that have the look and feel of genuine trail riding rather than cones and points. Judging on making it up obstacle in the least amount of time and with what kind of style or finesse.[/QUOTE]

X2.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Quote:
All of you saying how you're a billy bad ass because you're a tough rock racer, and not a pussy rock crawler, give me a break. HERE'S THE TRUTH.... Like it or not, if John Cappa can piss people off, so can I

98% OF ROCK RACERS ARE MADE UP OF PEOPLE WHO CAN'T GET IN THE TOP 10 OF A ROCK CRAWLING COMPETITION!!!!!

It takes more skill to rock crawl than rock race....
I was thinking the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV

#199/4499 - Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way.

mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 51389
Quote:
Ok, the Bloody Marys at the airport are talking now...

Case in point - Brad Lovell, and Dean Bullock - Both top rock crawlers, and aren't giving up crawling for rock racing (as far as I know) - They both kicked ass in their FIRST rock race, and smoked all you guys who think rock crawling is for pussys....
Rock crawling is not for pussys.(Even though I said that on Muchados video!! ) Nor is desert racing, nor is rock racing. All of us that compete, in one way or another are Alpa type personalities. And probably have a screw loose somewhere!! I now have competed in rock crawling and rock racing. I have gone to a few desert races and ran chase and pit. I learn from every event I go to no matter what the format. Lance, did you think that when you started wheeling, that you would ever in your life win a class in the 1000? Probably not, as that is a dream for many not to be realized but by a few! SO, why can't we all just get along? We each like the format that we compete in. They are all different. Let them be different and learn from each other to elevate the sport of offroading to where we can all benefit from more spectators, more sponsors, and public awareness. This is the only way that our respective sports will continue to grow!
JT
jtcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
I bought a copy of JP just for an article written about a ride my club did. Only thing about the actual ride was just the comments - the whole "article" was just about how the writer got to the east coast and didn't like the bugs.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 78598
Ok kiddos, time to calm down.

Everything takes skill, Rock Crawling and Rock Racing take different kinds of skills. One is slow speed going over tough obsticals and the other is high speed driving over rough terrain and rocks. Each has it's own special technique.

Obviously Cappa is skilled as being an ass. I didn't have an opinion about him untill he opened his mouth on the board. But hey don't give him the credit of pissing everyone off by continuing to fight over this. Apparently he has some ego issues that he has to try to compensate for. If you want to really get out some anger, write a letter to the company saying that you won't buy their magazine untill they get rid of him or simply just don't buy the magazine anymore.
D-the-chinese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #87 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 51633
WOW, Look what JP has generated and you all are feeding it, LOL.

Talk about driving a wedge between a tight family of off-road enthusiast. Some of you need to take a second and look out the other window. This past season was amazing for Jodi and I, we got to experience so many different disciplines of off-roading, and we feel blessed. We were fortunate enough to get the opportunity to cover events for ORC and Pirate4x4. Each month we got to visit with our friends and watch them push their abilities to the limit. One of our best memories this past season had to be the Goldendale WERock event in Washington. There was a full field of drivers and they went off, putting on a great comp. for themselves as well as everyone there.

Who went to Boyd, TX for the WERock Grand Nats? Boring? LOL Not even close! More like thousands of screaming fans going nuts for over the top action.

What are thousands of off-roaders doing each weekend and what do we do in our Jeep on the weekend? ROCK CRAWL. It’s a blast. We have a great time and it seems everyone involved is enjoying themselves. (Maybe their just messing with me and are board to death, Doubt it.) Rock Crawling is not dead nor will it ever be, either in a recreation format or competition.

Another great experience last year that I am proud to be part of is Xtreme Rock Racing. From what I witnessed both in watching and the experience of a driver taking me for a no holds bar ride along, there is no question these drivers are some of the most talented off-road racers you will find. If you have not Rock Raced or even co-piloted, then I would suggest reserving judgment of what Xtreme Rock Racing entails.

Lastly, we had the Baja/Desert race experience. From going out before the race and being part of a Trophy Truck day of testing to chasing for the 1000. There is no way to discount the cool factor of Desert Racing. Is it all that and more for everyone, No. A large % of the US population lives no where close to the desert, so it makes it hard to be a part of. The cost is typically much more than many other off-road motorsports. Skill involved? Sure, but it is still a matter of survival – mental, physical, and mechanical, however, not the most brutal of conditions and fresh teams along the route. Singles on bikes, quads, and even in race trucks – now that is pushing it and really magnifies the talent a desert racer can possess.

What’s up with the whole rebirth of the Icelandic Hill Climbs, that footage came on some early 90’s Discovery channel VHS tape, so last century. However, if there are 5 guys that come together and find a spot and build rigs I’ll come check it out. It’s still part of the off-road family.

I can honestly say I hope that none of these great motorsports go away. In 2006 I watched everything from NASCAR to CORR to Supercross to WRC and one theme remained consistent, they had all changed their formats and were continuing to evolve with changing trends. All motorsports have dead periods or boring moments in the action, it is just an unfortunate part of the show. It is how it is dealt with or perceived that needs attention. An ever flowing format is key to an action packed event.

I am sure glad I know everything about everyone else’s discipline, so that I could get things straight here. Let me know anytime I can tell you that you suck and your sport is dead. Oh to have all the knowledge of a magazine editor and a pirate poster. LOL

Don’t post right away; I need to get some popcorn and a soda ready for an afternoon of entertainment.
XRRA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 5663
Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda G
Thanks for not replying to my email, but responding blindly here to it, John.

Walker hasn't had a tire sponsor for a few years, so why did he stay in crawling? I talked to him on SEVERAL occasions about the differences between his new and old forms of racing and he told me he LOVED crawling. And wasn't he sponsored in a Chevy, not a Dodge??

You are still an asshat to come here and piss of the people who pay your salary.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRRA View Post
WOW, Look what JP has generated and you all are feeding it, LOL.

Talk about driving a wedge between a tight family of off-road enthusiast. Some of you need to take a second and look out the other window. This past season was amazing for Jodi and I, we got to experience so many different disciplines of off-roading, and we feel blessed. We were fortunate enough to get the opportunity to cover events for ORC and Pirate4x4. Each month we got to visit with our friends and watch them push their abilities to the limit. One of our best memories this past season had to be the Goldendale WERock event in Washington. There was a full field of drivers and they went off, putting on a great comp. for themselves as well as everyone there.

Who went to Boyd, TX for the WERock Grand Nats? Boring? LOL Not even close! More like thousands of screaming fans going nuts for over the top action.

What are thousands of off-roaders doing each weekend and what do we do in our Jeep on the weekend? ROCK CRAWL. Itís a blast. We have a great time and it seems everyone involved is enjoying themselves. (Maybe their just messing with me and are board to death, Doubt it.) Rock Crawling is not dead nor will it ever be, either in a recreation format or competition.

Another great experience last year that I am proud to be part of is Xtreme Rock Racing. From what I witnessed both in watching and the experience of a driver taking me for a no holds bar ride along, there is no question these drivers are some of the most talented off-road racers you will find. If you have not Rock Raced or even co-piloted, then I would suggest reserving judgment of what Xtreme Rock Racing entails.

Lastly, we had the Baja/Desert race experience. From going out before the race and being part of a Trophy Truck day of testing to chasing for the 1000. There is no way to discount the cool factor of Desert Racing. Is it all that and more for everyone, No. A large % of the US population lives no where close to the desert, so it makes it hard to be a part of. The cost is typically much more than many other off-road motorsports. Skill involved? Sure, but it is still a matter of survival Ė mental, physical, and mechanical, however, not the most brutal of conditions and fresh teams along the route. Singles on bikes, quads, and even in race trucks Ė now that is pushing it and really magnifies the talent a desert racer can possess.

Whatís up with the whole rebirth of the Icelandic Hill Climbs, that footage came on some early 90ís Discovery channel VHS tape, so last century. However, if there are 5 guys that come together and find a spot and build rigs Iíll come check it out. Itís still part of the off-road family.

I can honestly say I hope that none of these great motorsports go away. In 2006 I watched everything from NASCAR to CORR to Supercross to WRC and one theme remained consistent, they had all changed their formats and were continuing to evolve with changing trends. All motorsports have dead periods or boring moments in the action, it is just an unfortunate part of the show. It is how it is dealt with or perceived that needs attention. An ever flowing format is key to an action packed event.

I am sure glad I know everything about everyone elseís discipline, so that I could get things straight here. Let me know anytime I can tell you that you suck and your sport is dead. Oh to have all the knowledge of a magazine editor and a pirate poster. LOL

Donít post right away; I need to get some popcorn and a soda ready for an afternoon of entertainment.
Weaver, this is why I am looking forward to working with you this season on the east coast and I can not wait to be apart of the inaugural season of XRRA EAST. You guys have a great product and I am looking forward to seeing it.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 25603
Send a message via Yahoo to johnny_boy02
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cappa View Post
You don't get Jp? You don't even own a Jeep do you? Why would you get Jp? Or were you not aware Jp is a Jeep magazine?
I used to buy JP because it is a mag about 4wheeling/ rockcrawling. I love pretty much all 4x4's, and all forms of wheeling from slow to bash your junk on the rocks and break it.

You spit in the face of all the people/ advertisers that made you and your mag what it is today. I hope it bites you in the ass.

And out of the millions of people that own Jeeps 95,000 total paid circ really does not sound like much.

But what do I know, im just some guy with a Toy on one-tons slowing your stupid ass down.
johnny_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
I used to buy JP because it is a mag about 4wheeling/ rockcrawling. I love pretty much all 4x4's, and all forms of wheeling from slow to bash your junk on the rocks and break it.

You spit in the face of all the people/ advertisers that made you and your mag what it is today. I hope it bites you in the ass.

And out of the millions of people that own Jeeps 95,000 total paid circ really does not sound like much.

But what do I know, im just some guy with a Toy on one-tons slowing your stupid ass down.
I applaud this one.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
Congrats, guys.

Hook.
Line.
Sinker.

AGAIN.
I doubt Cappa had the foresight to believe that any attention devoted to the subject by this board would amount to anything that would benefit his rag.
Print media, be it mags or newspapers, are losing their relevance in the 21st century. Topical news and advertisers as well as readership are migrating to electronic media. The only reason I subscribe to JP, 4WD and Sport Utility, Four Wheeler and 4WD and Off Road are to provide something to read while I'm sitting on the shitter. I haven't learned anything new or bought anything from one of those rags since the '90s.
Like I said in the other thread, those who have to demean one group to elevate another aren't making much of a case for the group they're supporting. He could have just as easily pointed out the positive aspects of Formula 4x4 without trashing rock crawling. But that would have taken class and tact, something Cappa is definitely lacking.

Eat your spaghetti :flipoff2:
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 27978
well

Freedom of speech is all well and good but last I checked we as 4x4 "Family" should stick together and not bash other aspects of our sport. The right of an editor to publish what he or she wants is fine. When the sport of rock crawling goes through some changes (better or worse) we don’t need any extra attention brought to the lime light.

John I know my words mean nothing to you but as a 4x4 enthusiast and a Jeep owner I am just tossing my .02 into the mix. I think all of our 4x4 sports whether it is Racing or crawling is all about the love of 4x4 activities.

KUM BY YA

Last edited by Shady TJ; 01-06-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Shady TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #94 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1088
Where have you been the last couple years? Or even the last couple months?

"Interco never in comp. never won a comp"
Wow, do you even get out at all. WEROCK WORLDS, in Las Vegas (not too far for your LA based "offroad" mag to come out for. Well, Interco tires WON, as in 1ST PLACE PRO MODIFIED. You know, the class that requires a front engine, 2 seats, and look like a vehicle. I know, I was driving. And too be honest, I have run into people, personally that say they are running procomp tires becuase they liked how they looked/worked on Red Bull's car.

Comp is boring.
Every single comp, I had people all day asking how much to build a buggy, how to build it, and where to get info" EVERY SINGLE COMP. Lance knows where we tell them to go, PIRATE 4X4. The primedia mags dont cover the comps. Why? Im not sure, but thats why CRAWL is exploding!

Geez, you should have seen the crowd screaming, yelling ETC at WEROCK Nationals in Boyd. Oh you werent there either.... Well we finished the shootout (again our NON"moon car") And the entirecrowd in the stand at the end of the day was jumping up, screaming cheering etc. I signed autographs for the next 30 minutes. I gave away the shirt I was wearing (to the 4th person who asked) I signed my brothers busted headlight that he gave away after a nasty roll! Funny, the guy with it, knew Scott was my brother, and he doesnt own anything 4wd!

We gave away smashed sheetmetal from the buggy at every comp we could. As a MULTITUDE of people asked for them.

I think your just upset your pile with a V8 gets stomped by some blown-head-gasket 4cyl with 60's.

You dont kiss advertisers butts, but I have been told "you really should advertise with us, we take care of our advertisers" My reply, "Lets see what you do with the first $1000, then we'll think about more" Not from you, but you do know a guy named Nick.

Again on the boring. Ever seen a bar full of retired 60+ year olds all gathered around every TV watch WEROCK on TV? Cheering, yelling, etc. These are people who have never heard of rockcrawling, never seen a comp, or even been on a trail. They absolutely LOVED the show, and asked when it would be on again, or more episodes. NASCAR comes on and one guy quietly watches it. This was the ENTIRE bar/restaurant watching it.

I think Interco might like to know what youre spewing out, and how aware you are of things going on in the offroad world you are SUPPOSED to be involved in. Get up from watching your boobtube, and get back out in the dirt, and god forbid, some freaking ROCKS!

Brian

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Last edited by Brian Ellinger; 01-06-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: adding name
Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 22303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
Dear Mr. Cappa,
thanks for being the first with the balls to tell it like it is. Where do I get a subscription?

TEX
Extremely disappointed to hear this from you Tex.

Cappa....well it's disgusting that anyone knocks anybody trying to promote and do what they love to do. I don't watch Nascar! It's not my thing. I definately don't bash it. I Love Rockcrawling! That's why I promote it. Does bashing one make you feel like you are promoting another?
Can I love to go fast on a snowmobile and also get a huge thrill of crawling a 6 ft ledge in my one ton Toyota truck? Why the bashing?
Thanks to Crawl Mag and Low Range for their coverage of a variety of events. Rick Pewe' and Fred Williams and crew with Petersens 4Wheel and OffRoad also do a fantastic job. Not all Primedia is bad stuff.

217-242-1963

[COLOR="White"]Branik Motorsports

Pepsi Refreshment Services of Quincy,IL
Hannibal Career and Technical Center
Neal Tire of Pittsfield,IL
Wilson's Welding Services of Hannibal, MO[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="5"]RROCK/SHEROCK[/SIZE]-[SIZE="5"]2013
JUNE 15th[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
alwayssmiling67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 50539
Send a message via Yahoo to hammerman94
You don't get Jp? You don't even own a Jeep do you? Why would you get Jp? Or were you not aware Jp is a Jeep magazine? [/QUOTE]

Hey John...I currently have 4 Jeeps..owned from flatties to TJ's....and a Toyota...And I still didn't renew with you guys.....

Plain simple...your rag sucks...has been sucking for awhile now.

I gave your mag a second chance last year and still no good.

Your mag was gladly replaced with a sub to Crawl at over twice your price with 6 times your quality and personality. Not to mention a much more personal Customer Service....

So....Hopefully I will check ya again when you are editing your local county classified section.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #97 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cappa View Post

If you wish to discuss this further you can call or e-mail me.
I'll be your Huckleberry, shoot me a PM with a good number and time to reach you. If not, you can also call my cell. 909 810 8443

I don't fault you at all for your opinion and lack of facts. You are catering to a competely different crowd than those that actually push the limits of what is possible. Futhermore, I actually share some your concerns about the future of our sport, but am also confident that we are going in the right direction. It is obvious you have not been to a comp in a while or followed the series.

Look foward to talking to you.

Dave Cole
Team Slowpeed
Pro Modified World Champions in a Toyota on Interco tires

JeepRecoveryTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 50123
Wonder if Cappa is scared to come chat ?....
ProJunkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 31529
but in a way he wins.

he got all this free press and got a lot of people talking about his name.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Cappa emailed me, and like his article he missed the point of my email.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in