JP Article - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 26496
I love Motorsports... always have. Open Wheel, SCORE, NASCAR, F1, WERA, SCCA... whatever. If it has a motor in it and you can strap yourself to it and compete with it, I'm a fan and I honestly think I could be a champion someday at barstool racing

Point is that we are all in this sport together... crawlin, haulin... it doesn't matter. I grew up racing go carts and dreamed of being a pro driver someday.

Last year at Jellico, I had a group of kids come up and ask for my autograph... Who, me????? They didn't know that I was nobody and they didn't care either. All they knew was that I drove an awesome sounding buggy (a V8 of course) and that I was part of something going on there that day that was pretty damn cool to them.

Guess what, they were right and I'm hooked!!!

Let's let Mr. Cappa move on to other endeavours. I guess it's time for him to find another sport. We'll be right here, growing and having a hell of a fun time.

RockSports Team #770

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 & 2010 KOH Team #770

Bunk is a true Hero! Ask me why :)

Last edited by DocRocks; 01-06-2007 at 08:40 PM.
DocRocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 53184
Why do so many keep saying how great this talk is for his magazine?? Lets see here, one person posts an image of the article, and we all read it. Let me reiterate that, we read it online, for free. No purchase of the mag, nor even a hit on their website. the Did anyone of us then go buy a copy? I have read most all the comments here and seems that there are going to be very few copy's purchased now, how does that help JP? I really am at a loss.

Last edited by FFRubicon; 01-06-2007 at 09:08 PM.
FFRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 50539
Send a message via Yahoo to hammerman94
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRubicon View Post
Why does everyone keep saying how great this talk is for his magazine?? Lets see here, one person posts an image of the article, and we all read it. Let me reiterate that, we read it online, for free. No purchase of the mag, nor even a hit on their website. the Did anyone of us then go buy a copy? I have read most all the comments here and seems that there are going to be very few copy's purchased now, how does that help JP? I really am at a loss.
X2

Old 01-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 292
Sounds like Mr. Cappa is worried about the future of his magazone (or his job). Whoever said that he was successful in getting alot of people to think/talk about his magazone was correct. The only thing is, he will loose as a result of it.
I also love motorsports. I have raced 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile sand drags, dirt roundy round and off road. I'll take rock crawling any day. This is the only sport I have competed in that I can truely include my family. It's not all me, it's all us.
OH, BTW Mr. Cappa, I competed with Interco tires all year, and scored top 3 in every event. Get a clue before you pop off next time.
X-Chassis #12
6 time KOH finisher
2008/2009 W.E. Rock West Coast Series Champion
2008 Pro Rock Champion
Just "HAMMER" it!!
My Buildup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
desertoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #105 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
[QUOTE=Lance;6319982]

98% OF ROCK RACERS ARE MADE UP OF PEOPLE WHO CAN'T GET IN THE TOP 10 OF A ROCK CRAWLING COMPETITION!!!!!

It takes more skill to rock crawl than rock race. QUOTE]

Hey Lance...Here's a little something for you..... ....I got it on sale at Target, thought you might like it.
jbcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #106 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcustoms View Post
Rock crawling is not for pussys.(Even though I said that on Muchados video!! ) Nor is desert racing, nor is rock racing. All of us that compete, in one way or another are Alpa type personalities. And probably have a screw loose somewhere!! I now have competed in rock crawling and rock racing. I have gone to a few desert races and ran chase and pit. I learn from every event I go to no matter what the format. Lance, did you think that when you started wheeling, that you would ever in your life win a class in the 1000? Probably not, as that is a dream for many not to be realized but by a few! SO, why can't we all just get along? We each like the format that we compete in. They are all different. Let them be different and learn from each other to elevate the sport of offroading to where we can all benefit from more spectators, more sponsors, and public awareness. This is the only way that our respective sports will continue to grow!
JT
JT- If we were stranded in the desert with 1 sleeping bag and it was 30 below....well then mabey we need to get along! Otherwise, I'm not sure if you noticed but Lance called you a no talent driving pussy!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 11249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullJeep View Post
There's where you are wrong John. Most people know that I've been offered large amounts...we're talking some offers of double from the very companies you have listed, to make the jump. That is NOT what sponsorship is about and that is the reason we have been successfully living as pro athletes for 20 years now. If you noticed, we call the companies we work with our "partners" and is something I have tried to instill in every crawling team I have advised over the years. Relationships are long-term and those are only built if you have absolute faith in the product, trust in the company, and the friendship of those who you're working with to promote the TEAM of partners.

As a disclaimer: If some company offered me HUGE money...we're talking 1/4 million or more, to make the jump in tire brands, I would and would do so with Pro Comp's backing and Pro Comp's offer that if that deal ever disappears, we're welcome back. I'm not stupid, and neither is Pro Comp. However, with the kind of dollars being offered in this industry right now (10 - 100k), I'll stay right where I'm at as it's not worth looking like a "prostitute" for that small of an amount.
Still on that tire subject...I'd gladly go head to head in expertise on tires, compounds, and manufacturing of them with you. Remember, as a competitor, I spend my time trying to make my team's performance better so there I am, instead of contacting companies for their press releases about what makes their tires great or accepting a paycheck just to run the tires, I am in standing in the manufacturing plant, working with the tire engineers, to build a better tire. The new XCC competition compound? My idea for altering the formula to make it break in like NO OTHER compound in this industry. I'm in the trenches on tires as they are a KEY to winning. I'm not swinging my nuts here. I'm defending the ASSumption you made that I'm not a tire expert. Ask Creighton from Maxxis about this...he knows I'm well educated. I'd be STUPID not to be. The same goes for everything I run. Ask Brian Skipper from Sway A Way, ask Dan or Bender from Blue Torch, ask Scott Ward from Pro Comp, ask Jack from CTM (I introduced him to 300M!), ask Matt Hodges from West Texas...ask anyone I work with if I take a paycheck for decals or if instead, I really work my ass of to become an expert on every piece, part, and process. No, I have not achieved expertise on everything and where I'm not an expert, I always say so, but you've got it very wrong if you think what I do is trade $ for decals.

And yes, I send out press releases to EVERYONE from time to time. My point about subscribing to your mag was not to point out that I don't prefer it...it was to show that even though I may not prefer it, that doesn't mean it is dieing. You tried to use that type of comparison in your editorial and made it APPEAR you are an expert on the current and future state of this sport (competition AND recreation by the way as remember your comments about the Toyotas). You did the same thing in your reply here.

Yes, I realise JP is a Jeep mag...mostly anyway.
First, many of those cool Jeep innovations come through the work of those within this CRAWLING industry.
Next, You don't realise we have owned 3 Jeeps, and have 3 in our immediate family, including one we recently built that Mike Guth emulated and you later featured in JP. In fact, I'll be happily wheeling the trails at San Diego 4 Wheelers 9th annual SuperStition Mountain Run this weekend in our Unlimited...with a LOW CRAWL RATIO that makes it so boring that it's a sure sign the industry is DEAD.
Finally, my point is you did do damage with the editorial you wrote. Some people will take your "opinion" as an indicator of the majority belief. The power of the pen is huge and you just struck a blow that was below the belt. I hope to see an apology or disclaimer in the next issue. I do pick it up on the newsstand every month and flip through BTW...if there's something of interest, I buy it, if not, it goes back on the shelf. This one I will pick up and mount on the wall above my desk...

That's the absolute BEST read, I have had since joining this site.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 25603
Send a message via Yahoo to johnny_boy02
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasnut67 View Post
Cappa emailed me, and like his article he missed the point of my email.

YOu should post your email and his reply.
johnny_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Send a message via AIM to nasnut67 Send a message via Yahoo to nasnut67
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
YOu should post your email and his reply.
Will do:

My first email.

Mr. Cappa,
Your attack on rockcrawling and rock racing was not professional. For all of the sponsors, teams, and promotors your article has done damage. You could have praised formula 4x4 competitions and that form of motorsport without attacking other forms of off-road motorsport. I am sorry that you feel the way you feel, but you could have handled that much more diplomatically and gotten your point across. As someone who is deeply involved with the sports of rockcrawling and rock racing, I am offended and will not be reading JP Magazine any longer.

Sincerly,
Aaron C. Campbell

John Cappa's Reply:

Jp has not been and never was a rock crawling competition magazine. It's an enthusiast magazine. I'm really not sure why a competitor would want to read it unless they were enthusiasts as well. There are plenty of other magazines that cover rockcrawling competitions, although I'm not sure why. It seems like you could get much more timely comp results and photos online. Jp has not covered a competition since 2001.

Thanks,
John

My Rebuttal:

Mr. Cappa,

I know that JP has not covered a rock crawl since 2001. I have been a Jeep enthusiast for years. Your opinion is your opinion, but you should not have went on the attack as hard as you did. I feel that your article was very offensive. You could have written an article that would have gotten the point across without attacking other motorsports in the process. I feel that your article was insulting and unwarranted and considering you have not covered a rockcrawl since 2001, I do not think you have a basis for your argument. I will not be reading JP Magazine any longer . Next time you write an article attacking the offroad community, remember your readership.

Sincerly,
Aaron Campbell

Cappa's Response:

Well, I guess first of all I'm flattered that you think my opinion (poor as it may be) is important enough for you to take a stand. Thanks. But I'm still baffled about the attack part. I didn't say rock crawling was stupid or people who do it are. There is no attack really. It's simply an opinion that I think it's time to move forward. Rockcrawling has been the focus of the 4x4 industry for quite a while. There are other types of wheeling and I'm interested in those as well. Yes, I simply think comps have overstayed their welcome. But do I think everybody should quit rock crawling forever? Nope. And I never said such.

And the interesting truth of the matter is that I get lots of letters that think we cover too much rock crawling. There really are a lot of states without rocks.

Thanks and good luck,
John
Old 01-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 50123
what a fag mr cappa is .
ProJunkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #111 (permalink)
El Presidente

Member # 38540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda G View Post
Thanks for not replying to my email, but responding blindly here to it, John.
Walker hasn't had a tire sponsor for a few years, so why did he stay in crawling? I talked to him on SEVERAL occasions about the differences between his new and OLD FORMS OF RACING and he told me he LOVED crawling. And wasn't he sponsored in a Chevy, not a Dodge??
He was originally sponsored by Dodge.In his "OLD FORMS OF RACING" as you put it.

BRAWLERS* So-Cal

Fifth annual SoCal Off-Road Truck Show . Coming 2013 .

Infernal Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 50123
Quote:
There's where you are wrong John. Most people know that I've been offered large amounts...we're talking some offers of double from the very companies you have listed, to make the jump. That is NOT what sponsorship is about and that is the reason we have been successfully living as pro athletes for 20 years now. If you noticed, we call the companies we work with our "partners" and is something I have tried to instill in every crawling team I have advised over the years. Relationships are long-term and those are only built if you have absolute faith in the product, trust in the company, and the friendship of those who you're working with to promote the TEAM of partners.

As a disclaimer: If some company offered me HUGE money...we're talking 1/4 million or more, to make the jump in tire brands, I would and would do so with Pro Comp's backing and Pro Comp's offer that if that deal ever disappears, we're welcome back. I'm not stupid, and neither is Pro Comp. However, with the kind of dollars being offered in this industry right now (10 - 100k), I'll stay right where I'm at as it's not worth looking like a "prostitute" for that small of an amount.
Still on that tire subject...I'd gladly go head to head in expertise on tires, compounds, and manufacturing of them with you. Remember, as a competitor, I spend my time trying to make my team's performance better so there I am, instead of contacting companies for their press releases about what makes their tires great or accepting a paycheck just to run the tires, I am in standing in the manufacturing plant, working with the tire engineers, to build a better tire. The new XCC competition compound? My idea for altering the formula to make it break in like NO OTHER compound in this industry. I'm in the trenches on tires as they are a KEY to winning. I'm not swinging my nuts here. I'm defending the ASSumption you made that I'm not a tire expert. Ask Creighton from Maxxis about this...he knows I'm well educated. I'd be STUPID not to be. The same goes for everything I run. Ask Brian Skipper from Sway A Way, ask Dan or Bender from Blue Torch, ask Scott Ward from Pro Comp, ask Jack from CTM (I introduced him to 300M!), ask Matt Hodges from West Texas...ask anyone I work with if I take a paycheck for decals or if instead, I really work my ass of to become an expert on every piece, part, and process. No, I have not achieved expertise on everything and where I'm not an expert, I always say so, but you've got it very wrong if you think what I do is trade $ for decals.

And yes, I send out press releases to EVERYONE from time to time. My point about subscribing to your mag was not to point out that I don't prefer it...it was to show that even though I may not prefer it, that doesn't mean it is dieing. You tried to use that type of comparison in your editorial and made it APPEAR you are an expert on the current and future state of this sport (competition AND recreation by the way as remember your comments about the Toyotas). You did the same thing in your reply here.

Yes, I realise JP is a Jeep mag...mostly anyway.
First, many of those cool Jeep innovations come through the work of those within this CRAWLING industry.
Next, You don't realise we have owned 3 Jeeps, and have 3 in our immediate family, including one we recently built that Mike Guth emulated and you later featured in JP. In fact, I'll be happily wheeling the trails at San Diego 4 Wheelers 9th annual SuperStition Mountain Run this weekend in our Unlimited...with a LOW CRAWL RATIO that makes it so boring that it's a sure sign the industry is DEAD.
Finally, my point is you did do damage with the editorial you wrote. Some people will take your "opinion" as an indicator of the majority belief. The power of the pen is huge and you just struck a blow that was below the belt. I hope to see an apology or disclaimer in the next issue. I do pick it up on the newsstand every month and flip through BTW...if there's something of interest, I buy it, if not, it goes back on the shelf. This one I will pick up and mount on the wall above my desk...

Wow Dustin , after saying that I have alot of respect for you . Rock on man
ProJunkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #113 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12158
A lot of creative worthy input- especially Dustins's and Mike W's. Cappa is truly special in his defensive justifications of his writings- there are sooooo many professional/productive ways to promote his excitement for other offroad motorsports without bashing other sports enthusiasts (presumed readers) enjoy.

While our brothers in Florida and maybe Wisconsin/Louisiana run lots of mud (cause that's what they have to enjoy) I do not, though I used to, had a 2 second drag car that literally walked on water- It's not my thing anymore- but I do understand that some love it and that's what they have, more power to them, just like some run the desert/dunes- cause that's what they have- Cappa's words in that editorial and defense of them make him out to be a stooge in the eyes of any open minded enthusiast, it's his own work.

Tex- while it's honorable for you to give all the effort you do to your brand of sport, shame on you for applauding Cappa's work- we all need to build off one another, not gain by tearing others down- you sound like a teenage princess who's PO'd cause the boys are flirting with another pretty girl at the party.

Most all of us as entusiasts appreciate many forms of the sport and can appreciate all for the excitement they offer. I was actually pumped when I saw the Petersens article on Munson Mass- though they focused on the hill drags and missed the excitement of the hill climb. I used go there as a young punk and even dragged my small block scrambler for giggles (got spanked- it was a mud rig)- but I met lots of good peeps there who got me into racing- hooked me up with used racing junk and contacts/ shops to get me going.... One sport leads an enthusiast to other sports... all good.

I'd like to see an artcle on southwick Mass, a shortcourse for local Corr type racing- saw Leduc there for the first time 20 yrs ago

The reality is some of our sports shine in video/audio while some shine in print, all shine in person IMHO. Fast sweet sounding V8 sports play much better with sound and motion than a pic and a caption. Any enthusiast can look at a pic and a caption of crawl/rock racing and yes formula verts and say- those guys (Becca and the ladies too) are sick! Hard to get excited IMHO about pics of a shallow mud drag in a flat field- but go there or see the video and it's wild.

I used to get JP too- can't say how good it is now except that I would not buy it to read Cappa's thoughts. On a positive note, creating controversy can generate readers (Lance is into that) and Cappa scored on that one, just that most of us would consider his time at the helm an experiment that did not go well.

For those that don't get crawling- I suspect it's a bit more popular cause it's easier to get into in some regards. While extreme in some ways, a guy can do it with whatever junk he has and challenge his skills and equipment- a lower barrier to entry for the normal enthusiast. While other sports can be awesome, fewer will take a trail rig and drag race it through mud or try (or have access to) Scandinavia type events/terrain. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but I have limited access to desert/dunes/mining pits and I grew tired of liquid sandpaper a long time ago.
Team #192/4192

Thanks to our partners

Maxxis, Trail-Gear, Yukon Gear, Goatbuilt, Tom Woods Custom Driveshafts, Ruffstuff specialties, Warn Winch, Rokit Enterprises, Viair, Edge Perf., Branik Motorsports, PRP seats, 12V unlimited, Bailie built, Alltech, Raceline

Last edited by Go2Guy; 01-08-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Go2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 26542
JP magazine has been horrible for years. I can't beleive people actually read it much less get upset by its content.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 191
I think in about the 13+ years I've been into 4x4's, Jeeps mainly, I would
guess I've only bought maybe 2-3 JP mags total.......... I have allowed
a subscription to 4wheelsport Utility recently lapse, but only due to not
thinking about it......

truly, I never cared for JP magazine...............

So, cappa can keep his thoughts (of what readership he las left) for his
clientel......

--Sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 51389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcruiser View Post
JT- If we were stranded in the desert with 1 sleeping bag and it was 30 below....well then mabey we need to get along! Otherwise, I'm not sure if you noticed but Lance called you a no talent driving pussy!
Just 'cause your mad I whipped your ass last year, all year, dont lash out. And as far as lance goes, well, luck seems to fall on the foolish.
JT
XRRA #13, KOH OG #13, Colorado Hill Climb Assoc #13
jtcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #117 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
98% OF ROCK RACERS ARE MADE UP OF PEOPLE WHO CAN'T GET IN THE TOP 10 OF A ROCK CRAWLING COMPETITION!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Brad Lovell, and Dean Bullock - Both top rock crawlers, and aren't giving up crawling for rock racing (as far as I know) - They both kicked ass in their FIRST rock race, and smoked all you guys who think rock crawling is for pussys....
You have to be good at going slow to go fast. Any idiot can put the gas down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda G View Post
T
Walker hasn't had a tire sponsor for a few years, so why did he stay in crawling? I talked to him on SEVERAL occasions about the differences between his new and old forms of racing and he told me he LOVED crawling. And wasn't he sponsored in a Chevy, not a Dodge??
Ditto, thats what I heard. I suppose now that he is into yacht sailing it's cause GoodYear forced him too, right?

As for this helping his mag? Hardly, I don't see anyone on here signing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
I think it was just his very un-PC way of saying that Rock Crawling has hogged way more than it's 15 minutes of fame & that the current darling of the 4x4 media is perhaps taking too much attention away from other segments of the sport that may in fact BE much more exciting to watch.

TEX
How do you figure? I remember growing up all that the mags covered was lifted trucks and mud running. It's pretty evident in rural areas, like MT, cause there are alot of rigs built in the mud style and alot of people still refer to that type of build. Sure your not mad cause mudding has past it's 15 mins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cappa View Post
Sorry guys, rock comps are on their way out. That's my opinion. They don't cater to the typical enthusiast. They're really only made up of long periods of boredom broken up by short spurts of action.
How does this vary from any other motorsport? And what would you know about cartering? Your mag does a piss poor job of it.

Quote:
At the end of the day do you really buy a set of tires because Dustin Webster and his wife use them? Doesn't seem like it. The most popular tires talked about here are Swampers anyway.
Not quite, I know localy there are quite a few people buying Krawlers cause of the feedback from Twisted Customs with them.

Quote:
So I ask you, is that sponsorship dollar important for the company supplying it because it helps them sell a lot of tires or is it simply a way for a driver to pay his bills?
It's marketing reasearch, R&D, same with any other form of motorsports.

Quote:
Oh, almost forgot. Formula 4x4 typically takes place in privately owned and abandoned gravel pits in the Nordic countries. Not public land. So don't get all wound up and loaded with phrases like "Giving them bullets to shoot us with."

Thanks,
John
Really doesn't matter. The greenies show pics to john q public and they will be on the greenies side. Doesn't matter if its public or private, all the public will know if they land is being torn up and their mind will be made up. And if these wheelers tear up private land are they going to treat public land any different, thats what they will think. Anyone that thinks otherwise is naive.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 19936
Quote:
un-funnay
Member Number: 12217
Posts: 5,240 John Cappa just fucked us...what a total screwup that was. Doesn't he realise who his advertisers are and who they are marketing to?

Write a letter!

Dustin Webster
www.RedBullRockCrawlers.com
Click here for the BLUE TORCH FAB
Red Bull RockHer Buildup
Cappa's story has fueled a reaction to his own editorial opinion. He writes for a magazine, isn't that what he suppose to do?

In fact, he is employed to create interesting editorial within the off road industry that perhaps "make the juices flow."

Is this any different than my friend, Craig Perronne's, "RockCrawling Is Dead" article in Dirtsports last year?

I think not.

Many had the same reaction and since that article, has professional rockcrawling grown?

I think not.

In fact, there is a noticable decline in corporate participation in rockcrawling. The soon approaching 2007 season will tell all as we see what manufacturers are still involved in the funding of teams, events and advertising.

More of a travisty is that Cappa's story got underneath the skin of Dustin in a bad way and his immediate reaction is published above. For years many know that I've been "preaching" that a website is not the place for professionals to vent fustrations.

Do you think for one moment that leading edge companies do not have someone monitor Pirate4x4 daily.

I could name a list of the who's who in the industry that follow the different threads with gripes, complaints and bitching.

Take for example, and I'll use Dustin as the example, that if someone was to send this link of him blowing up about Cappa's story to the Red Bull, that they would be "happy" with the terms used by their #1 rockcrawling professional. As we know, Dustin represents the leader of the expanding energy drink market, Red Bull, on this website with their logo etc...

What does Loren/Pro Comp think about it...Care to ask? Prolly not.

Perhaps some of his other sponsors think it's cool that he goes after those that are merely creating controversy, this time its Cappa, last time I remember it was Ranch and so on...

Friends, marketing for sponsorship dollars is extremely difficult. Many people here know how hard it is to land that decent sponsor that gives you 75 tires a season, or an annual ad campaign to keep the biz dollars coming in.

Dustin has done it very well for a very long time, however keeping those dollars year after year is becoming even more difficult. Remember that sponsorship is just that --- a corporation paying you for professional representation within the motorsport industry ---- otherwise you might as well just call it a "donation" and you say, act and do whatever you want---and at the end of the season you go shopping for another donation. Think about it my friends, this industry is too small, you don't want to JACK IT UP!

My only two cents of the 2007 season---It came early this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRRA View Post
Skill involved? Sure, but it is still a matter of survival – mental, physical, and mechanical, however, not the most brutal of conditions and fresh teams along the route. Singles on bikes, quads, and even in race trucks – now that is pushing it and really magnifies the talent a desert racer can possess.
With due respect-participation on a Trophy Truck team is far from the reality of desert racing. There are something like 35 Trophy Trucks versus an approximated 150 limited cars in classes.

I have raced in limited classes for two decades and if you don't think its brutal then you've yet to experience racing in Baja. How about charging up Simpson's Mountain in the 2005 Baja 500 in a limited class car with 17 Trophy Trucks and Class 1's, Class 8 trucks littered up the trail, rocks bigger than a 1/2 1600 car, two Class 12 cars off the side, blown motors, trannys, tires and more...a mere 190 miles into a 475-mile race...lemme tell you---BRUTAL is an understatement. We pulled a VW motor on a car that was tetering off the edge being held up by a big azz bush---so we could "borrow" their unburned clutch...

Most teams don't have the luxury of having four fresh teams to race a single car--plus most ego-maniacs won't let too many others get behind the wheel of their race car in such a race as the Baja Mil.

Tell my amigo - Cameron Steele that it wasn't brutal--as his Trophy Truck stood mired in 3 feet of mud at Calamajue Wash for 14 hours, all the while he directed race cars away from the bad stuff. Just another Baja Mil...and next year its gonna even be more difficult.

My only point is that tagging along with a Trophy Truck team is the farthest from reality when it comes to racing in Baja---IMHO it is more brutal than you could imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
It takes more skill to rock crawl than rock race. If you are a REALLY tough guy, kick your "LAME" rock racer into HIGH RANGE, and go desert racing, and REALLY go fast!!!!
Finally, you've come to your senses! I never thought I'd see you post this---A moment in Pirate history!

Hope your popcorn supply is healthy! All Good

Last edited by desertbull; 01-07-2007 at 07:04 PM.
desertbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 73836
Trolljob supreme, IMO.
White347LX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #120 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
DB, wow...interesting read that's far from my perspective...

1. Red Bull knows EXACTLY how I operate and they would look at this as a simple defense of my sport. They wouldn't have even the slightest issue with my responses.

2. We all bitched at Perrone just the same but you have FORGOTTEN what Perrone's article said. Perrone was writing the editorial from the HYPOTHETICAL angle and that's a big difference.

3. I don't work for or with Loren and I'm GLAD I don't. Ask anyone at Pro Comp why I feel that way and you'll quickly understand.

4. A website isn't a place for unneccessary attacks...this DEFENSE was called for.

5. If companies monitor this website and also monitor the mags, then this thread is GOOD because it is the other side of the story to what Cappa so poorly published. This is how passionate we are about our sport and our recreational choices. I HOPE they read this.

6. Let's bring EVERY ONE of my sponsors into this. They'll BACK ME UP, just as Pro Comp did YESTERDAY when I called them and told them what was going on. Bolger had already read the article and was laughing out loud on the phone about this and how Cappa was getting his ass chewed for writing what he did. Do you really think I need to worry about THIS? If I did, I'd quit this entire sport because I couldn't be who I am.

7. Not all publicity is good. This isn't helping JP at all but never would have happened if Cappa had written the article from a different angle. Same ending message, different track to get there. This thread is a defense / rebuttal. Cappa did just fuck us with numerous sponsors who will never read this very thread.

8. Ranch You bring him up! Don't even go there or you'll be drawing the comments of MANY teams that finally figured it out. It'd be best to keep this on track of defending OUR position from Cappa's words.

9. Cappa bit the very hand that feeds him. My sponsors are his advertisers. The CRAWLING trailrunning manufactrers are his advertisers. The fans of competition and participants of competition and the recreational wheelers are his readers. He slammed them and deserved to be called on it. If you think this actually helps JP, why haven't you done this for Dirt Newz? It seems to be an amazing technique for getting people pissed at him, just think of what it could do for your business! WoW!

10. Your statement, "Think about it my friends, this industry is too small, you don't want to JACK IT UP!" Tell that to Cappa...we're just giving the "Other Side of the Story!" to JACK IT BACK DOWN!

11. Your question, "has professional rockcrawling grown?" It has in some ways but not in others. Every sport has ebbs and flows but that doesn't mean something is wrong. Has Desert Racing grown noticibly every year? OR, does it also grow in some ways and ebb in others each year. Some are banner years, some you just wish hadn't happened. Sure, there are notable things every year, but overall, the business of every sport cannot be consistant, the same as every other kind of business in the world. RockCrawling is doing fine and with some tuning and tweaking, will continue on it's way. Could it do better? For sure it could be doing better...but so could McDonalds, WalMart, CostCo, Tide Detergent, Red Bull...EVERY company. I know this...my sponsors are happy and we're looking forward to another year of growth.

Last edited by RedBullJeep; 01-07-2007 at 08:30 PM.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 14545
Want to come follow me watching the grass grow. I'll scare so much shit outa ya that you could't walk for a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smalltimewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 1918
ummm wow... cappa your an ass!
badassjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #123 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Holley View Post
JP magazine has been horrible for years. I can't beleive people actually read it much less get upset by its content.
I agree about it being horrible and also disagree about the second part, people should get upset over it!
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #124 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9868
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltimewheeler View Post
Want to come follow me watching the grass grow. I'll scare so much shit outa ya that you could't walk for a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who is this pointed towards?? Cappa?
Or just people who think Rock Crawling is boring?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 43109
Send a message via AIM to nasnut67 Send a message via Yahoo to nasnut67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcruiser View Post
Who is this pointed towards?? Cappa?
Or just people who think Rock Crawling is boring?
Since I am the one who posted it I can answer that. I want all of this pointed at the Judas at the helm of JP Magazine. Cappa had no business taking a knife to Rockcrawling, Rock Racing, Toyota, Toyota drivers, Dana, and Rockwell to promote Formula 4x4. He could have written an article promoting that form of motorsport without attacking other forms of motorsport or the companies that support it. I wanted to put that outrageous article on here to see if it would get the same reaction that it provoked from me. Guess what, it did. John Cappa wrote a very unprofessional article and betrayed his readership. You do not bite the hand that feeds you. With freedom of speech there is the other side of the coin the reaction from people who recieve that speech. John Cappa wrote a bad article and I put that article on here to call him on the carpet in a public forum.

Last edited by nasnut67; 01-07-2007 at 10:22 PM.
nasnut67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in