Why was Shannon disqualified? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Competitions and Events
Notices

Closed Thread

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 130739
No. Main idea: a dq'd guy ran over him.
firstrock is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #77 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28821
Send a message via Skype™ to desertfabmotorsports
I was at the pit, it was my tranny that we put in his car, he was told he was dq but could run for time. He did not hurt one competitor. The video on sledged, yea he went around ,AFTER it rolled and so did other drivers go around and use him for traction. were they just going to sit there and wait for a recovery?? come-on guys get over it.. He was told he could run then someone halfway through said no.

guess I should bitch and moan becauses i was dq'd because I had outside help be fllipped back over but others were not!!! I won't it is what it is and its over with, be back next year
Todd

Last edited by desertfabmotorsports; 02-28-2009 at 10:10 PM.
desertfabmotorsports is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 130739
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfabmotorsports View Post
I was at the pit, it was my tranny that we put in his car, he was told he was dq but could run for time. He did not hurt one competitor. The video on sledged, yea he went around ,AFTER it rolled and so did other drivers go around and use him for traction. were they just going to sit there and wait for a recovery?? come-on guys get over it.. He was told he could run then someone halfway through said no.

I guess we'll all get over it now. he didn't go around. he went over. he was never going to place. he should have backed off. he could run for time the day after.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I guess you missed the starting line of the race? I was there in a green vest and trying to keep the crowd of 3 or 500 back out of the way was a futile effort.

Point being, I'm not condoning hauling ass through the pits, but I am finding difficulty reconciling the safety aspect against what I saw at the starting line. It's only pure luck, grace and good driving that kept some of those rigs out of the crowd going over that berm.

Or are the folks working the pits less expendable?
No mrblaine I was at the start and heard Jefe yell at the crowd at the top of his lungs to move back. Stick to the point.

I have no idea if you were at the driver's meeting. At that meeting we were all told to keep the speeds down in the pits. Campbell was at that meeting, standing in the front. He decided to disregard the rule involving pit areas that is present in ALL forms racing. This wasn't Baja where the crowds put themselves on the outside of high spped corners or dileberately place themselves in danger. Even in those situations, the divers that have been involved in accidents with the crowds were devistated. Why would anyone condone the actions of someone who risked disaster.
shoyrtt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #80 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28821
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstrock View Post
I guess we'll all get over it now. he didn't go around. he went over. he was never going to place. he should have backed off. he could run for time the day after.
Then I guess the guy right behind him should have backed off also.???
Todd
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 130739
you don't know what the guy behind him might have done if he weren't there. Shannon changed the race outcome by being there. The crowd might not have flipped that guy back over and the guy behind might not have had the guts to pass that way. shannon was not a ghost rider that day....his running for time....changed the outcome of events that lead to changed outcomes in the race.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #82 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler C View Post

And if someone told him that he could go ahead and run the course anyways, that was a bad decision on their part.
Here you go-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdart View Post
That is not true I was helping change the tranny when one of the officials came to the pit and asked if shannon drove in or was towed and we told him shannon was towed in knowing he would be disqualified and we told him he just wants to run the course for time and he said just make sure he knows he was disqualified and that was before we pulled the first tranny out. It seems to me thay could have stop us before we pulled both trannys out and put the good one back in it took us a little over two hours to do it. I also was at the first check point when thay stopped shannon and then waved him on.
mrblaine is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #83 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Actually the main idea is that....a dq'd guy ran over him before he had a chance to right himself.
The first guy that ran over him was not DQ'd. Shannon was second in line.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 130739
I'm looking forward to hearing what happens. That changes my thinking in that respect....all except that he shouldn't have been out there in the middle of competitors. It still changed the dynamics of the race just because he was still physically there.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 16698
Quote:
you don't know what the guy behind him might have done if he weren't there. Shannon changed the race outcome by being there. The crowd might not have flipped that guy back over and the guy behind might not have had the guts to pass that way.

Wait were YOU THERE!? ok point made!

I was. That wasnt the first rig that the crowd helped significanlty, nor was it the last, just in that one area of one trail....
lookin4fun_inca is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #86 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28821
Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing what happens. That changes my thinking in that respect....all except that he shouldn't have been out there in the middle of competitors. It still changed the dynamics of the race just because he was still physically there.
How did it change the race, if shannon was not there the car in frt. would not have rolled??
Todd
Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #87 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyrtt View Post
No mrblaine I was at the start and heard Jefe yell at the crowd at the top of his lungs to move back. Stick to the point.
I am sticking to the point. Your point was that it was unsafe for him to speed in the pits, but not unsafe to speed through a crowd of spectators. I don't see the distinction. And yes, I heard them yell for everyone to get back, about 15 minutes after I was sent down the left side of the line to move them back.

Quote:
I have no idea if you were at the driver's meeting. At that meeting we were all told to keep the speeds down in the pits. Campbell was at that meeting, standing in the front. He decided to disregard the rule involving pit areas that is present in ALL forms racing. This wasn't Baja where the crowds put themselves on the outside of high spped corners or dileberately place themselves in danger. Even in those situations, the divers that have been involved in accidents with the crowds were devistated.
Did you miss the part where he was told he could go run for fun?

Quote:
Why would anyone condone the actions of someone who risked disaster.
Condone the actions of anyone risking disaster??? Are you kidding? Just entering this race was risking disaster. Working a check like we did as volunteers was risking disaster. Standing near the start line when they let them go was most assuredly not the safest thing I've ever seen.

I guess you think all those cool shots the photographers get are totally without risk as well?

I had my guys get bumped by spectators in pick-ups when we were trying to keep them off of a hot course and I'm suppose to believe one racer is more of a disaster?

At the end of the day, it's up to Dave and Jeff to sort it out and I fully trust they will do it perfectly regardless of the vigilanteism anyone around here participates in.

I'm not condoning him blowing the checks or speeding through the pits or him being unsafe. What I said was, if safety was such a huge concern and someone should be banned for lack thereof, then the start line should have been configured differently. I have to balance both aspects to arrive at a final conclusion and I think I'll leave that decision in the hands of those who are in control.

Last edited by mrblaine; 02-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #88 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Quote:
At the end of the day, it's up to Dave and Jeff to sort it out and I fully trust they will do it perfectly regardless of the vigilanteism anyone around here participates in. . . . and I think I'll leave that decision in the hands of those who are in control.
Key point right here, regardless of what any of us think. We all have our bits and pieces of info; these two guys will pull it together, see if mistakes were made, make adjustments and move on.
lttlbddy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 16698
Heres my vid just cause

YouTube - 2009 KOH Shannon Campbell drives over 52x Will Carter
Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 16698
And heres one previous to the Shannon one.

YouTube - 2009 KOH FAILED pass attempt! Awsome action and competion on Sledgehammer

so is Bumping another off the obstacle ok then???

Last edited by lookin4fun_inca; 02-28-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 40375
Quote:
The first guy that ran over him was not DQ'd. Shannon was second in line.
Are you sure of that? The video orangefj45 posted clearly shows the Monster green M on the hood at 1:23 as well as the gecko on the roof on the first car. Looks like Shannon was first in line to me.
wizard_Drd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 117547
Quote:
shannon should have had the integrity to get off the coarse when he was dq'd. what a loser in character.
X2!
just got back home an hour or so. Was defenetly something to see! I did lose alot of respect for shannon he was DQ'd about 2 hours befor that dickish pass on sledghammer. should have waited since the others were still in the race but instead just drove right on them causing damage to the competing rigs! Very poor sportsmanship there in my opionion
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 117547
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_Drd View Post
Are you sure of that? The video orangefj45 posted clearly shows the Monster green M on the hood at 1:23 as well as the gecko on the roof on the first car. Looks like Shannon was first in line to me.
Yup Shannon was the first one to drive over the 52x. the next guy followed him but was more carefull to stay off of the 52 as much as possible and do it in a safe manner! Shannon just didnt care and had no respect for anyone around there that he could have injured!
N6FZY
FuzzyZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Quote:
I am sticking to the point.
Not even close
Quote:
At the end of the day, it's up to Dave and Jeff to sort it out and I fully trust they will do it perfectly regardless of the vigilanteism anyone around here participates in.

I'm not condoning him blowing the checks or speeding through the pits or him being unsafe. What I said was, if safety was such a huge concern and someone should be banned for lack thereof, then the start line should have been configured differently. I have to balance both aspects to arrive at a final conclusion and I think I'll leave that decision in the hands of those who are in control.
A ban or any sort of action is completly up to the promoters. There is risk and danger in every desert race. We all have to do our best to minimize that risk. Just because he was given the green light at the start to run the course for "fun" dosen't mean the rules of safety were thrown out the window. When he was signaled to stop at RM42, why continue?

Hopefully an open discussion like this ends future recklessness. I'll leave it at that.
shoyrtt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #95 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11822
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZ View Post
X2!
just got back home an hour or so. Was defenetly something to see! I did lose alot of respect for shannon he was DQ'd about 2 hours befor that dickish pass on sledghammer. should have waited since the others were still in the race but instead just drove right on them causing damage to the competing rigs! Very poor sportsmanship there in my opionion
So you are saying that everybody behind this guy should stop when they come up to him. That is like saying everybody should stop behind the wreck in Nascar as to not cause more damage making sure everybody gets back on the track and back in the race. Or how about in the Baja race when a driver rolls on the course. The racers that come up behind him should stop and make sure the car can continue in front of him. This is racing.....you pass people to get in front of them, and if they do crash or roll, it makes it easier to beat them in the race.

As far as Shannon passing in Sledge, that is not the first time that sort of thing has happen, nor will it be the last. Mustard Dog passed the other buggy last year using him to not roll over and nobody said anything about that last year.

And about the pit speed. They said not too fast in the pits but didn't specify a speed limit in there. So a safe speed to one driver is too fast/slow to another. They should have specified a speed limit in there.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_Drd View Post
I've seen two videos and one of them showed that Shannon was the second guy through.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 99581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard lips View Post
So you are saying that everybody behind this guy should stop when they come up to him. That is like saying everybody should stop behind the wreck in Nascar as to not cause more damage making sure everybody gets back on the track and back in the race. Or how about in the Baja race when a driver rolls on the course. The racers that come up behind him should stop and make sure the car can continue in front of him. This is racing.....you pass people to get in front of them, and if they do crash or roll, it makes it easier to beat them in the race.

As far as Shannon passing in Sledge, that is not the first time that sort of thing has happen, nor will it be the last. Mustard Dog passed the other buggy last year using him to not roll over and nobody said anything about that last year.

And about the pit speed. They said not too fast in the pits but didn't specify a speed limit in there. So a safe speed to one driver is too fast/slow to another. They should have specified a speed limit in there.

Racing is racing..... I don't think people have a problem with that. That is what people go to see. It has to do with the fact that Shannon was DQ.
Halfass'dfabricator is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #98 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoyrtt View Post
Not even close
Really? What was the posted speed limit in the pits then?

Quote:
A ban or any sort of action is completly up to the promoters. There is risk and danger in every desert race. We all have to do our best to minimize that risk. Just because he was given the green light at the start to run the course for "fun" dosen't mean the rules of safety were thrown out the window. When he was signaled to stop at RM42, why continue?
Not stopping was wrong after the race officials called out over the radio for him to be stopped. But that's it. That doesn't turn him into Jason in a hockey mask behind the wheel of a race car.

Quote:
Hopefully an open discussion like this ends future recklessness. I'll leave it at that.
By open, you mean tar and feathering?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 717
Send a message via ICQ to Desert Jeepin Send a message via AIM to Desert Jeepin Send a message via Yahoo to Desert Jeepin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard lips View Post

It happens a LOT, it's part of this race. This isn't about the guy having his rug run over, it's about him having is rig run over by a NON-RACER.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spotter, Team Raffle F-Toy, #50.

Quote:
wait... hold the homophone... you're ghey?
Desert Jeepin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #100 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfass'dfabricator View Post
Racing is racing..... I don't think people have a problem with that. That is what people go to see. It has to do with the fact that Shannon was DQ.
DQ'd and given permission to run for fun.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in