go fast tahoe - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Desert Racing
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50282
go fast tahoe

I have a 99 tahoe. 4x4. Going to be extending the control arms. my question is can i put a 2wd lift spindle in place of the 4wd spindle. I know i wont have 4wd. I just need to know if the mounting points are such that it will line up ball joint and tie rod wise.
4bytruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Nope.

I had a 98, there’s not much you can do with them for go fast. I just put good shocks on it and turned it into a camper. My suggestion would be just go buy a GMT 800 truck. The suspension starts out much better. Although I would be sad to lose the two doors.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 50282
its a 4 door. I'm trying to steer away from having a swing set under it. but its looking like thats the way i'm going to go.
4bytruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Honestly I would rather run beams then anything based off the stock IFS.

& Blaine

Old 03-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Nope.

I had a 98, there’s not much you can do with them for go fast. I just put good shocks on it and turned it into a camper. My suggestion would be just go buy a GMT 800 truck. The suspension starts out much better. Although I would be sad to lose the two doors.
I got tired of people telling me this so I decided to build a long travel suspension kit for these trucks. It gets 15" of travel with 4wd. Its not cheap, I know most people don't want to put $6k in front suspension on a $3k truck. But it can be done.

….trying to post pics but my post count is too low

Last edited by trxsonoma; 03-15-2019 at 05:23 PM.
trxsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Very nice. I would have put this on my 98.
Attached Images

& Blaine

Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Attached Images

& Blaine

Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bytruckin View Post
I have a 99 tahoe. 4x4. Going to be extending the control arms. my question is can i put a 2wd lift spindle in place of the 4wd spindle. I know i wont have 4wd. I just need to know if the mounting points are such that it will line up ball joint and tie rod wise.
The 2wd and 4wd chassis are completely different on these trucks so no you cant' put the 2wd lift spindle on the 4wd truck. Atleast not without making other modifications.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Were you able to retain 4WD with your kit?

& Blaine

Old 03-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Were you able to retain 4WD with your kit?
Yes, you can see the CV's hiding in there in some of the pics. I had to make some billet adapters for the front differential so that I could use 930 inner CVs as the stock inners can't handle much angle.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxsonoma View Post
I got tired of people telling me this so I decided to build a long travel suspension kit for these trucks. It gets 15" of travel with 4wd. Its not cheap, I know most people don't want to put $6k in front suspension on a $3k truck. But it can be done.

….trying to post pics but my post count is too low
That is very cool. The frame behind the suspension is weak on the gmt400. Did you reinforce it there?
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
That is very cool. The frame behind the suspension is weak on the gmt400. Did you reinforce it there?
I'm still working on it. The weak point is the rear LCA mount floating in the wind and creating leverage to twist the frame rail. So I'm working on something to tie the two together and tie that into the chassis in another location as well.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxsonoma View Post
I'm still working on it. The weak point is the rear LCA mount floating in the wind and creating leverage to twist the frame rail. So I'm working on something to tie the two together and tie that into the chassis in another location as well.
Nice. A 2 door 96 or newer with the Vortec 5.7 and long travel would be a great truck.

I added a bolt in support between the rear lower control arms on my 88 4Runner for similar reasons.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Please tell me there is a build thread to that tahoe!!!!!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
What he said^^ That sucker is beautiful. I'd love to see the in's and out's of what you've got going on there.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 838666
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
What he said^^ That sucker is beautiful. I'd love to see the in's and out's of what you've got going on there.
Thanks. I don't really have a build thread, just a few pics on my Instagram page (@r_bosman). It's come a long way but still has a long way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in