Another W150 Build - Page 27 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #651 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Still have some wiring to clean up. But this should help simplify things

AC gone
Secondary Air gone
Manifolds Blasted and open
Air holes in heads tapped and plugged with 1/4x20 set screws
New temp carb (until EFI manifold swap)
New MSD dizzy and wires
SCC gone

The plan will be for a new cam, heads, intake, and stand alone TBI. Not sure about headers for now. I would like to see 300 hp, with a usable rpm range. Only time will tell. These upgrades are awaiting funding.

Need to order new front leaf springs. Thinking of Alcans w/ an orbit-eye in the rear.

Few more pics.
Attached Images
    
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 AM   #652 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
couple more
Attached Images
    
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #653 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Picture of near finished results.

All non essential components removed.
Wiring and hoses cleaned up.

Fried my old MSD box using my battery charger on boost. Couldn't figure out what I did wrong after re-routing a bunch of wiring. Truck just wouldn't fire. I didn't know that the MSD boxes were that sensitive.

Threw a new box in there and it fired right up. I'll see about getting the old one repaired as a spare.

Looking into doing a top end kit with a Fi-Tech TBI. At that time I'll remove all the old brackets on the front of the Engine.

I do see noticeable improvement in throttle response with out all the vacuum crap on the carb and a new distributor.
Attached Images
 
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #654 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jopickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126456
Location: Grafton, WV
Posts: 768
Wow that's looking good! Take lotsa pics while it's that clean!
Josh
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jopickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #655 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Member # 171352
Posts: 11
Man this build was fun to read. Looks awesome! Would love to see those half doors finished and put on.
HEMISith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #656 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 210734
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 245
I'm currently doing a FI-Tech 400 hp install on my 350-powered CJ5. Engine part was easy, getting my neglected fuel lines and tank up to speed is the real pain in the arse. From the reviews I've seen, I expect that I'm going to dig the improved drivability and will likely have to install systems on my other CJ and my Dodge RC.
__________________
Too many projects, not enough time! '88 AW150, CJ5, CJ8, Ford GPW, WJ, and a Powerstroke Excursion.
BIGTRUCKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #657 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMISith View Post
Man this build was fun to read. Looks awesome! Would love to see those half doors finished and put on.
I just lost my motivation on the half doors. I'll get back to em eventually.
I'm looking to do a front ARB, New shocks and an Atlas 3.8 as soon as possible.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #658 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUCKNUT View Post
I'm currently doing a FI-Tech 400 hp install on my 350-powered CJ5. Engine part was easy, getting my neglected fuel lines and tank up to speed is the real pain in the arse. From the reviews I've seen, I expect that I'm going to dig the improved drivability and will likely have to install systems on my other CJ and my Dodge RC.
Saw the Fi-Tech on a rig a couple weeks ago. It really looks impressive in person.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #659 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 210734
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 245
I'm wheeling the CJ5 next weekend - between now and then I've got to complete the FITech install and take a trip to Las Cruces for work. It's going to be a busy weekend! Let you know how it works out.
__________________
Too many projects, not enough time! '88 AW150, CJ5, CJ8, Ford GPW, WJ, and a Powerstroke Excursion.
BIGTRUCKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #660 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Haven't been around much lately. Time for some new parts for the Dodge.

Decided I needed a few upgrades after having wheeled the truck a little since building it.

Purchased a 3.8 atlas, Yukon chromo inners, Yukon Super Joints, Yukon Zip Locker, ARB compressor, and ADS 2.5" reservoir schocks. (12" travel) I went with threaded bodies in the front for now. I plan to link the front at some point. Just about to get some 5.13 gears.

I still am waiting on the Atlas. The rest of this shit I need to figure out how to install

Looking into a nice little cam, head, and manifold package to go under the Fi-Tech TBI swap.

I think I want to go with a fuel cell (30-40 gal) behind the cab to get the stock plastic tank out from underneath the truck. It makes me nervous.

I'll start tossing up some pictures as I progress. Probably won't happen until after my next Wheeler's for the Wounded run next month.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #661 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUCKNUT View Post
I'm wheeling the CJ5 next weekend - between now and then I've got to complete the FITech install and take a trip to Las Cruces for work. It's going to be a busy weekend! Let you know how it works out.
How did the Fi-tech install go?
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #662 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Member # 210734
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 245
The install was pretty straightforward on the engine side but replumbing the tank with a new pickup and return was a pain in the ass - mostly due to a few years of neglect on my part and the small package of the CJ5. In the end I got it installed and running before my trip and it fired right up and ran well when I got back from Las Cruces. Unfortunately I got about 100 miles down the road toward the wheeling spot when the old NP435 trans blew. Not exactly sure why yet, so sick to my stomach about it that I still haven't dug into it. From what I can see, the trans input shaft sheared off and is gone, the stock chevy aluminum bellhousing shattered into a million pieces, and the transfercase adapter broke - obviously something locked up in there at 55 mph. Metal all over the highway, and a hairy white knuckle ride getting it stopped. Had to get a tow all the way back home. On the bright side, the engine with the new fuel system felt great the entire ride and it was still running after all the carnage.

Time for a makeover - Picked up a SM465 and pulled another D20 out of the reserve to built a stronger, lower geared package over the winter. Also planning to narrow and swap in a pair of D60s and freshen up the suspension with YJ springs.

Wife says that this Jeep thing is an illness...terminal.

Ty
__________________
Too many projects, not enough time! '88 AW150, CJ5, CJ8, Ford GPW, WJ, and a Powerstroke Excursion.
BIGTRUCKNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #663 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17632
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 8,268
If you're going to go to all of the trouble and expense of a new, high zoot top end, you should really think about swapping to a 360. They have noticeably more power than a 318, even a 70s smogger engine. Honestly, a stock rebuilt 5.9 magnum would hit your 300 hp target and be pretty reasonable from a cost standpoint.
Travis..
__________________
'18 Ram 2500 4x4 Big C and a 6 speed
FOR SALE '15 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins 6 speed manual trans
crashnzuk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #664 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUCKNUT View Post
The install was pretty straightforward on the engine side but replumbing the tank with a new pickup and return was a pain in the ass - mostly due to a few years of neglect on my part and the small package of the CJ5. In the end I got it installed and running before my trip and it fired right up and ran well when I got back from Las Cruces. Unfortunately I got about 100 miles down the road toward the wheeling spot when the old NP435 trans blew. Not exactly sure why yet, so sick to my stomach about it that I still haven't dug into it. From what I can see, the trans input shaft sheared off and is gone, the stock chevy aluminum bellhousing shattered into a million pieces, and the transfercase adapter broke - obviously something locked up in there at 55 mph. Metal all over the highway, and a hairy white knuckle ride getting it stopped. Had to get a tow all the way back home. On the bright side, the engine with the new fuel system felt great the entire ride and it was still running after all the carnage.

Time for a makeover - Picked up a SM465 and pulled another D20 out of the reserve to built a stronger, lower geared package over the winter. Also planning to narrow and swap in a pair of D60s and freshen up the suspension with YJ springs.

Wife says that this Jeep thing is an illness...terminal.

Ty
Damn, glad nobody was hurt.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #665 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
If you're going to go to all of the trouble and expense of a new, high zoot top end, you should really think about swapping to a 360. They have noticeably more power than a 318, even a 70s smogger engine. Honestly, a stock rebuilt 5.9 magnum would hit your 300 hp target and be pretty reasonable from a cost standpoint.
Travis..
I know, I know. I get an idea stuck in my head sometimes though. Like spending a shitload of money building a 318 to the same hp as a stock 360.

408 stroker would be nice though.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #666 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Have the bulk of the parts I've been wanting. Looks like I'll also be 3-linking the front. Should be a busy fall/winter.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #667 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Been stocking parts but haven't had a lot of time to install. Got my dual battery set-up done and started messing with some prep for the 3 link and shock install . Couple of pics
Attached Images
    
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #668 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
parts
Attached Images
     
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #669 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 17632
Location: West Sacramento, CA
Posts: 8,268
OOH, blingy. When I get my 73 functional we should take these things for a run
Travis..
__________________
'18 Ram 2500 4x4 Big C and a 6 speed
FOR SALE '15 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins 6 speed manual trans
crashnzuk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #670 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
OOH, blingy. When I get my 73 functional we should take these things for a run
Travis..
Hell yeah
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #671 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Going to be installing a Fi-tech on the Dodge's 318. This required a 4 barrel manifold. I figured if I'm pulling the manifold I may as well up grade the cam. One thing led to another and this is where it sits now.

Most of the parts will go on the future 408 stroker I'm thinking about.
Attached Images
 
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #672 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Country69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204026
Location: Tracy,Ca.
Posts: 2,879
Truck is running great with the 4 barrel and new cam. I have the fitech and g-surge pump sitting in the pile of parts. I ordered a new transmission awhile ago as well. I'm sticking with the 727.
Just need to get off my ass and do something about it. At least everything is running and I have a huge pile of parts.
Country69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.