What cummins injection pumps are you guys running? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
What cummins injection pumps are you guys running?

I am usually in the jeep section here but I have a question in regards to my 2005 2500 cummins. I have had my truck for about 4 years and 100k miles so far and love it, except for the front axle Now I am at 130k and the injection pump is leaking. I spoke to a few local cummins guys this week and it seems the pump is coming apart, so replacement is on the agenda. Most of the shops around here want 1400-1700$ to replace it with a cheap OEM type reman unit. So it will most likely be something i an going to do myself. From what I have gathered so far this should be a pretty direct swap according to my Chilton book. The older models have timing involved with the swap but the 2005 (vp44 I believe) timing is not involved so this seems like something I can do at home. Since most shops seem to pay about 3.6 hours from this job I think i can do it in an afternoon. With that said i now need to figure out what pump I want to use, what have you guys used and how are they holding up?

Mopar wants over 1600$ for a new OEM pump, most cheap remans are 1000-1300$, and most perfermance remans are in between. I do not plan to install and chips or power adders. It just has exhaust and intake and that is all I want since this is a dd, work truck, and weekend tow rig. Alot of guys seem to run the "Industrial Injector" pumps but I have not heard any long term reviews on them. How are they holding up? Would you install it again? I am not convinced the napa and pep boy cheap remans will last and the Mopar New OEM are more then I want to spend. Here is the one I am leaning toward

Industrial Injection "Reman" 5.9L Cummins CP3 Fuel Pump

I am not looking to get all crazy and burn the tires off but a little extra power and fuel economy are always welcome. I want this truck to last till the body panels rot away so I want something that will last for another 150k+ miles. What are you guys running and how do you like them?
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 76418
Send a message via MSN to 4x4_76
Your 2005 has a common rail engine, so there's no injection pump, just a high pressure pump. Therefore timing is not needed. VP44 (rotary injection pump) was used in 98.5-02 trucks.
4x4_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 70926
Send a message via MSN to chevyfiedRAT
I got twins in my truck however it's not your basic dd, a stock pump does just fine for what your doing, industrial injection just takes a new pump and adds the "bag o parts" to it, you can do that yourself

And as for the pump from 2003 and newer cummins went to a common rail system which has a cp3 as the pressure pump not a piston/rotary pump like older cummins engines, there is no timing to these pumps via cam gearing its all computer sending signal telling it either to cut fuel, increase pressure or decrease pressure

Sent from my smartass phone

Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
My early 2004 had the fuel filter cannister factory mounted LP, which died at about 52,000 miles

Under warranty, it was fixed and replaced with the in-tank retro setup

I've been running an Air Dog 150 with Fleetguard filter and WS for 4 years now, without any problems or issues

I also install a Glacier Diesel cannister billet delete bracket, whihc removes all the factory filter assembly

I'd make sure your factory LP is producing enough PSI

If you are looking to buy a new CP3, contact Todd at T&C Diesel......if you just want a factory unit

My local Cummins dealers gets brand new Bosch CP3s for around $975

I would not put a remain unit on my truck, unless it is from a known builder

I am currently running a 85% over stock CP3 from Industrial Injection

Last edited by D45; 01-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
D45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
T&C Diesel:

Home

Shane with Motorsport Diesel:

Motorsport Diesel

BD Diesel also recently started selling CP3s, but I would not hesitate to go with T&C Diesel

I am running a ported fuel rail from T&C along with his Constant Rail Pressure Valve

Last edited by D45; 01-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
Thanks guys that helps alot.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
Ordered a CP3 from Todd today. He really seems to know his shit and was very helpful. Should have the parts saturday. Thank again for the help guys, this saved me a bunch of money.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
D45

Member # 102974
Good to know!

Did you go with a stock flowing unit or larger flow?

I had a question when installing my ported fuel rail and CPRV from T&C Diesel.....I called Todd on a Sunday and he was in no rush, walked me through everything

Last edited by D45; 01-11-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in