98 Steering brace - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 628290
98 Steering brace

I've got a 98 1500 and I've been looking at putting a steering brace on it. All the ones that I've seen say they will only work for the 2500,3500. Will it work on the 1500 also?

Also, is the 2500 box different from the 1500? I want to get better steering since I'm running 37's and do a lot of off road/ trail/ dune riding.
alexdummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 616386
Dodge Ram Steering box Supports/Brace
Ive got that brace on my 2000 half ton.
Dodge Off Road - Online Store
These guys also make some really nice stuff to.
AZ_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 33442
They all fit the 1500/2500/3500 trucks the same. The 2500/3500 did have a different box that was a fixed ratio rather than variable, but that doesn't affect anything else. There aren't many good box options for 2nd gens right now. Borgeson is supposed to have their boxes back in stock in a few weeks after their move to South Carolina, but time will tell. They've been out of stock forever. Behind that, you're looking at a Redhead or a factory replacement. Or modify your frame and run a newer 3rd or 4th gen box. A brace will help keep your gear box alive, just keep in mind that 2nd gens have a lot of frame flex and the frame-to-frame braces will end up twisting on your sector shaft. I burned through a lot of gear boxes on my old 2nd gen before I realized what was going on with the DSS braces I was running. Once that sector shaft seal gets eaten up, it's a matter of time.

AZ Ram, thanks

Old 02-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 628290
AZ Ram- Thanks for the links, I might end up getting the one from the second link.
djgaston- Thanks for the info. I was gonna grab a box from the junk yard and I might have too anyways with how my box is turning out to be but I will get a brace either way. I won't get the one that goes frame to frame since I ride with a lot of frame flex.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
FYI, Mid 90's Chevy boxes are identical. Dodge uses Saginaw boxes and they have a number stamped in the outside. My 95 2500 had an '84' or '83' stamped in it. My rebuild attempt proved futile so I went hunting in the junkyards. Every dodge box was leaking profusely at the sector shaft seal just like mine was. I looked at the boxes on the chevy's and found a bunch with no sign of any leakage. Threw one of those on and brace and no leaks since. I do believe I lost a very slight amount of turn radius, but it was worth it not to be puking fluid constantly. As long as you match that stamped number on the outside of the box it should be good to go.
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 39108
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgaston View Post
Or modify your frame and run a newer 3rd or 4th gen box. A brace will help keep your gear box alive, just keep in mind that 2nd gens have a lot of frame flex and the frame-to-frame braces will end up twisting on your sector shaft. I burned through a lot of gear boxes on my old 2nd gen before I realized what was going on with the DSS braces I was running. Once that sector shaft seal gets eaten up, it's a matter of time.

AZ Ram, thanks
I 2nd the quality of your guys stuff.

Perhaps I'm behind the times, and sorry to thread jack, but what's the benefit (you have a write up?) on going to the new gen style boxes?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 33442
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilram View Post
I 2nd the quality of your guys stuff.

Perhaps I'm behind the times, and sorry to thread jack, but what's the benefit (you have a write up?) on going to the new gen style boxes?
Thanks man!

The newest Borgeson box is pretty awesome. Much larger, Delphi style setup rather than the old-as-dirt Saginaw style. Faster ratio. Beefier internals. 3 year warranty. No core charge. So they have more power, they last longer, and they'll turn tires easier at slow speeds which is important to me. And when you wheel or daily drive, the quick ratio is great. It's about 3 turns lock to lock. Takes a couple of days to get used to, but it's a big improvement.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdummy View Post
I've got a 98 1500 and I've been looking at putting a steering brace on it. All the ones that I've seen say they will only work for the 2500,3500. Will it work on the 1500 also?

Also, is the 2500 box different from the 1500? I want to get better steering since I'm running 37's and do a lot of off road/ trail/ dune riding.
What about a box brace and hydro assist. There will be much less abuse to your box. I have 75 into my box brace setup, not including the 20 for a box rebuild. Then about 150 into hydro assist.

Last edited by sterlingfire; 02-29-2016 at 04:35 PM.
sterlingfire is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 628290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
What about a box brace and hydro assist. There will be much less abuse to your box. I have 75 into my box brace setup, not including the 20 for a box rebuild. Then about 150 into hydro assist.
Where'd you get your hydro assist? I'd like to do it but everything I've seen on it is so expensive.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdummy View Post
Where'd you get your hydro assist? I'd like to do it but everything I've seen on it is so expensive.
Surplus Center

3/8" X 36" 3/8 NPTM X 3/8 NPTM 3000 PSI HYD HOSE
X2

Surplus Center

http://www.polyperformance.com/Trail...-D-Tube-Clamps

You'll just need to figure out what stroke ram you need, tap your box (easier then it sounds), figure out which hose length you need, and match fittings to your hose ends. My hoses are jic, but the npt would work just as well, and I believe are cheaper. My hoses are 36" as well, and work fine for me, but I have a shit ton of droop compared to your stocker. Tearing apart the box and tapping is easy, just have to be careful not to lose ball bearings.

Last edited by sterlingfire; 03-01-2016 at 05:07 AM.
sterlingfire is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 628290
Thanks for the links! I decided that since my ram is my dd in the summer I'm going to get a borgenson box and shaft and then when it becomes a oro ill add assist onto it.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 591361
Delphi

One of my parts trucks came with a Delphi box, The previous owner was quite the 4wheel parts attendee possibly it was upgraded? Did the second gen ever come with a delphi box? Maybe this one is worth sending to Redhead or off to Redneck ram west texas offroad for a tapp and rebuild?
Dann'l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 628290
The second gen rams only came with a 60's tech saginaw box. The box that you have is a burgeson which is the upgraded box with the new delphi technology in it. I did a lot more reading and I've decided that I'm going to do the burgeon box, shaft, and single frame brace. You will have a bullet proof steering set up then. The box should be able to steer with no issues. If your having issues turning then it could be that its still a saginaw box or its time for a rebuild. They do sell rebuild kits and they aren't hard to rebuild, you just have to remember where all the bearings and seals went.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in