79 LA360 swap to M37 wiring questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
79 LA360 swap to M37 wiring questions

I am in the final stages of a "quick" swap of a 79 360 from a Dodge W300 into a 53 Dodge M37, what was supposed to be easy turned into all summer due mostly to procrastination and the nothing is ever easy factor. Im at the wiring stage, not a wiring master by any means and am wondering what the most minimal wiring setup is?

I have just started googling wiring diagrams but not sure im finding the right ones. The distributor is a 2 wire black red and my hope is to be able to use it but after that im open to ideas.

Im trying to do the dizzy, internal ballast coil and alternator with voltage regulator to eliminate an external ballast and regulator.

So the questions, is the dizzy red black power and ground or ? can I use a internal ballast coil or is there some reason not to? does Dodge make a 1 wire internally regulated alternator like Chevy or do I need to mod some brackets and run a delco?

Thanks for any advise
nhjohnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41063
You have an electronic ignition distributor, it's easy to Google basic wiring diagrams for Mopar ignition. As for the alternator, the stock Mopar alternator and regulator will work fine and has the bonus of being able to easily swap out the regulator if it goes bad instead of swapping the whole alternator.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
Thanks for the info, im thinking ill base the alternator choice on whether or not the one i have works and replacement costs, I will spend some more google time on the diagrams, the ones i looked at all had external ballast for the coil but id like to do away with that if its not necessary, just dont know enough about wiring

Old 11-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
You can use a GM HEI module to run that mopar 2 wire distributor. That allows you to use straight 12 volt and a modern oil-less coil. You just need to mount the module to a heat sink so it will live. There is a company that makes a mount/heat sink that screws to the distributor base to make packaging easy, but I can't remember the name.
Travis..
Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
Thanks for the info ill check into it
Old 11-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
You can use a GM HEI module to run that mopar 2 wire distributor. That allows you to use straight 12 volt and a modern oil-less coil. You just need to mount the module to a heat sink so it will live. There is a company that makes a mount/heat sink that screws to the distributor base to make packaging easy, but I can't remember the name.
Travis..
I have to agree - I have the HEI module swap in my Ramcharger and love the simplicity. I've seen the HEI module heatsink that attaches to the underside of the mopar distributor (they are slick) but I just have mine mounted flush to an aluminum plate on the firewall. Power is provided by the 12 volt side of the ballast resistor wiring coming from the ignition switch (could be key switch or a simple toggle, whatever) and you'll need a separate full power coil like what's found in some later GMs and Fords.

Link to HEI module mount and coil recommendation: Mopar HEI Conversion

Link to instructions: How To Convert A Ford Or Chrysler Ignition To GM HEI - Car Craft - Hot Rod Network
Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
Thanks for the links, that is really slick ill be ordering that up this weekend, anything I can do to simplify this project is a bonus right now
Old 11-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
So ive found several distributors on ebay that are for small block Chrysler with GM HEI for $60 to $80, seems pretty cheap considering the conversion plate, HEI and coil are going to be at least that.
Anyone have any experience with any of these?

one example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/318-360-SB-...dVpm6o&vxp=mtr
Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjohnny1 View Post
So ive found several distributors on ebay that are for small block Chrysler with GM HEI for $60 to $80, seems pretty cheap considering the conversion plate, HEI and coil are going to be at least that.
Anyone have any experience with any of these?

one example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/318-360-SB-...dVpm6o&vxp=mtr
Only problem is firewall clearance - the GM HEI distributor is a lot larger around than the chrysler electronic distributor and you may have clearance issues between a GM HEI distributor cap and the M37 firewall. Check it out to see if you have the room and then decide. I personally like the GM HEI distributor conversions too - I have one in my AMC 304-powered Scrambler.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
I grabbed an ebay HEI complete distributor with remote coil to keep the cap small, almost to cheap to be trusted so we will see, should be here monday.
Been reading and it looks like a 3 wire chevy is a better setup than the one wire deal, now need to look into Dodge alternator setups to see if they are better/cheaper than a GM 12SI
Old 11-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200568
Looking like Delco 12SI is the way to go
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17632
The one thing that I have heard about the GM HEI module is to use real heat transfer paste between it and the heatsink you mount it to. I think most modules come with dielectric grease (if anything) which is not the same thing. Find a Radio Shack (are they still around??) or electronics store of some sort.
Travis..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in