02 Dakota Quadcab Crawler - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #151 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
I don’t think I have notes on exact angles my Dakota was when I went to a 2pc driveshaft but I might be in my “5 foot driveshafts suck” thread. It was decent with a 1350 DC angle that I’d guess was in the 17-19* area. I did go through them, I think 3 in 5 years, but it wasn’t highway use that killed them. I suspect it was lack of maintenance and impact damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 110114
that's good feedback, thanks. I'm looking at about 15*-18*, but I can put the carrier bearing anywhere I want, and lose or gain angle as a result. I'm shooting for 15*, but if someone was running 20* without issues I'd be tempted to push the carrier bearing rearward and gain the shaft clearance. But I think 15* will be a good middle ground, and then I also gain more articulation potential.

The front however is just going to be what it's going to be - none of it is alterable, but as it won't be spinning fast most of the time it's much lesser of an issue.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #153 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
Little bit of info in that thread but nothing on my final fix

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ggestions.html

Might be more in my build thread on as-built when I put in the divorced doubler.

|
|
|

Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 110114
thanks for the info - good read. The guys at my local Driveline Service always make me great shafts and they're making the front half of my 2-piece rear shaft now. Both my D60 and 14b get built this weekend, and with them in place and the front half of the rear shaft in place I'll then know exactly how long to make the remaining shafts. I decided to go even more conservative on the angle and should end up somewhere b/t 11*-16*.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 110114
...ok - been real busy crankin' on the Dak and time for an update; mostly descriptions (not many pics) but they'll be coming soon as I can get them -

Alternator. Okay so one of the future accessories on deck for this truck is a Premier Power Welder system, and after doing some digging I discovered I'd need to use one of their HD alternators, and I was able to returned the CVF Racing alternator and replaced it with the appropriate unit from PPW. It's a 170 amp unit and is specifically and permanently re-wired to use an external regulated (cannot be a 1-wire unit) and uses a heavy duty regulator, but because I'm not running the complete system 'yet' I just ordered the alternator and their bypass harness which allows the use of a standard voltage regulator, in this case a new solid state unit from a 70's Ford, available off the shelf at local parts stores. When time comes to get the remainder of the PPW kit I'll simply unplug the bypass harness, bolt up the PPW HD regulator, and plug it back up. Then I'll mount the welder unit in the bed, and I'll be ready to burn metal on the trail.

Engine mounts. Made a set of engine mounts using 1-3/4" steel encased rubber leaf spring bushings and 9/16" bolts. There also was a bunch of bolt hole 'slack' in the RV steel mounts to the block - the original 7/16" bolts were pretty loose and 1/2" bolts were too big, so I opted for metric bolts which fit perfectly and took out a lot of the slack. I first tried to use early Mopar spool engine mounts but they didn't work out very well - might have been poor quality, but the big leaf spring bushings work perfect. Even if the rubber deteriorates the engine can't flop around very much because of the steel case around everything, and they press in real nice and simple.

Belly Cradle. The main cradle frame is pretty much done - it's made from the same 2" x 0.25 wall steel square tube I used on Bud, and it has rear stringers to provide armor around the back end of the gas tanks. It bolts up to the bottom of the frame via eight 1/2" bolts and serves several functions: it protects the gas tanks, rear driveshaft, and exhaust, plus of course providing a rock-proof belly armor for those times I end up high-centering the whole truck on some very large rocks. I think I'll eventually also have a second section in front if the main to provide similar protection for the t-case and etc.

Axles. The diffs are done and pretty much ready for all the outer hardware to bolt back on (brakes, knuckles etc). As expected the front D60 was totally worn out and needed a full rebuild with fresh guts including Spicer 5.38 gears and a Grizzly locker, plus a bunch of upgrades: full kingpin rebuild, 1410 u-bolt yoke, Reid knuckles, Yukon spindles, SpeedHouse GM brake conversion, RCV shafts, and Warn premium hubs. The 14 bolt needed much less love and just got fresh guts including Nitro 5.38 gears and Grizzly locker, 1410 u-bolt yoke, and a HD pinion yoke guard from Barnes 4x4. I did 'shave' the bottom edge of the 14 bolt to basically match the profile of the cover, as well as smoothing off some edges to help the axle slide over stuff. Both axles are capped off with Crane diff covers and LubeLocker gaskets. All of the steering hardware came from Barnes 4wd including 1.5" x .250 wall DOM tubing and GM 1-ton TRE's for the tie rod and crossover linkage.

Drive shafts. Charlie at my local Driveline Service again built me a beefy set of driveshafts: the 2-piece rear begins with a 1410 yoke off the Atlas down to a carrier bearing ending with a Ford DC flange, then a 1350 DC joint and slip-shaft down to a 1410 u-bolt yoke. The front shaft is almost exactly identical to the rear shaft, the only difference being the front DC mating flange is drilled for 1/2 bolts (for the Atlas output flange) and the second half of the rear is drilled just slightly smaller for the required Ford metric bolts in to the flange just behind the carrier bearing. The cool part is in the event I grenade the rear shaft I can actually replace the entire second half with the entire front shaft to get off the trail and back home - a nice redundancy. All u-joints are 'greaseless' except for the center DC pivot ball, so no need to re-grease everything throughout the season - I'll just hit the pivot ball before each season, and pull the shafts every three years or so for inspection/re-balance, and ensure the joints are good.

Gas tanks. Both gas tanks are mocked up in place and ready for the plumbing. The d-side tank is the 'main' - the p-side tank is the 'auxiliary'. The Sniper EFI system will have its own small high-pressure tank in the engine bay from RobbMC, and the main tank will use 5/16 feed and return lines and a low-pressure fuel pump to circulate fresh fuel to the EFI tank. Then, with the flip of a switch a second identical low-pressure pump outside the aux tank can send some or all of its 24 gallons of fuel into the main tank, or, I can flip a manual lever on the output line and send that fuel into a 'refilling hose' held up under the bed which we can use to refill go-carts, ATVs, or another vehicle. An overflow return line will ensure the aux tank doesn't overfill the main tank. Another switch will let me monitor fuel levels in both tanks. Both tanks utilize their OEM vapor canisters, which are vented per factory spec up to the air filter housing based on throttle body vacuum and a GM pressure regulator.

Exhaust. About 30% tacked together - I started with a good set of OE truck manifolds, then 1/2" plate steel flanges and 2-1/4 pipes route the exhaust into a single 3.5" tube with the O2 sensor. 18 inches later there's a flange for a 3" dump for 'fun time', then the exhaust routes back into a pair of 2-1/4" tubes around/past the t-case and tanks and into a Magnaflow muffler with dual 2.5" inlets and a single 3" outlet, which will exit somewhere out the back.

More to follow

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 08-27-2019 at 02:27 PM.
'Mad Max' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 110114
...exhaust is figured out, and now time to finish up some of the underbelly armor, which means the spare tire mount needs to be built, and it looks like my spare tire idea is gonna work...

I surgically removed a 42x42 section of the bed floor revealing the 40" Toyo underneath - the cover will be reinforced around the edges, the spare will have a cradle underneath positioning it at just the right height, and with the spare tire in place the cover will simply rest on top of the tire level with the floor...and the whole bed remains available for 'stuff' - woot!

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 09-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #157 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 502649
I like the spare idea, pretty slick
Twmdodge99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 110114
thanks yah I'm really diggin' how it's working out. Got the two main spare tire cradle tubes in place - there's 11 inches of travel before the rear diff will contact the tire, and it'd be the sidewall at that, and the bump stops will hit beforehand anyway, and there's plenty of room to snake the single 3" tail pipe out the passenger side. The spare cradle will be reinforced and tied into the rear bumper too so plenty of tail armor.

There's a LOT of room under the bed of a truck to begin with, especially true on a lifted truck, and I'm glad I took advantage of it.

Here's some pics at my expected ride height -

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 10-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 110114
(I don't know why my pics display 'huge' - I don't want them to display such that you have to scroll sideways to see them...but I don't know how to avoid it - anyone know?) anyway...

...so I thought that since the front leafs were rated as a 2.5" lifted spring (C125S) I'd have a small amount of arch, but after just a couple mockups the front leafs were nearly flat, so I called 4WP and they swapped them out for a set of the 4" lifted units, C140S, which look to be perfect -

The last 3 feet of the gas tanks was completely 'exposed' and vulnerable to rocks and debris so I fab'd up extensions from the main belly cradle and got them tacked in place, which completes the final stage of mockup, and the chassis now comes out for final welding, smoothing, cleaning, paint, and preps for final assembly. Here's pics of the rear tank extensions -

upper crossmember mount and spare tire 'bump stop' (protecting the tire from shifting forward into the tanks) -

everything is tack-welded for now - they will bolt up in the end -

plenty of room for the rear axle to dance around -

Old 10-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #160 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Looks good. I love how tucked in everything is, you certainly are making good use of empty space. The only thing the empty space under my truck is good for is sitting upright without hitting my head

How do you plan to route the exhaust? Looks like right now the pipe is cenetered over the carrier bearing, do you have enough room before the spare to kick it left or right?

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #161 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
Loving the bash bars and use of space.

Photos are perfect size for desktop viewing, don't change a thing!

|
|
|
Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 110114
right now I'm envisioning routing the exhaust starboard 'around' the tank armor and spare rack, up a bit for leaf spring clearance, then straight back along the frame exiting somewhere around/thru the rear bumper. There's about 1.5" between the bottom of the muffler and the carrier bearing, and the muffler will be wrapped in a heat blanket and the tubing wrapped in header wrap etc, so it should be good to go.

Not gonna lie - the exhaust routing was 'tight'. I'm lining the outsides of the gas tanks with heat-reflective material, so along with the wrap(s) the heat from the exhaust shouldn't have any adverse affects on the chassis hardware. I'll be keeping a close eye on everything under there for the first few wheeling trips...
Old 11-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 110114
I decided I didn't like the angle out the front of the t-case (was 27* - now it's 22*) so I clocked it down one notch, which then caused the shaft to interfere with the OE crossmember, plus I really wanted a trans/t-case mount a bit further back that supported the end of the overdrive section and not the front. To resolve both issues I fab'd up a new mounting plate that captures both the bottom mounts and 4 of the 6-round tail section bolts of the OD housing, and it's all now resting on an uber stout 2 x 2 x .25-wall crossmember, which is also likely to be the first impact point for the belly. Still need to reinforce the frame mounts and such but this shows the basic idea. I'm also planning to connect the tranny crossmember to the belly cradle, and run forward to protect the trans pan and...if I can find a simply way, the oil pan. At full drop the driveshaft is right at the max point of binding, and a limit strap will prevent that.

With the trans crossmember figured out and in place this marks the last stage of mockup - now it's time to finish everything on the frame - all the gusseting and reinforcements etc, then clean, and finally, paint - and after that I can actually begin to assemble everything for good.

this is how it used to bolt up -

now with the bracket more towards the back I think there'll be a lot less 'stress' on the tail housing with the weight of the t-case hanging off of it, especially considering the bracket now captures some of the 6-round bolts which should definitely help...

the t-case was tucked up before but now it hangs down a bit - the trans cross member will be connected to the belly cradle which will protect the t-case...

still have the reinforcements to weld in but these show the frame mounts, secured on both side by 1/2 bolts -

Last edited by 'Mad Max'; 11-04-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in