'17 Ram / Cummins Winch mounting?? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
Warn's installation literature only shows the 12k winch mounted with feet forward.

I've got a standard 12k Warn waiting for me to try this. I got lucky (maybe...if it fits ) and picked up a take-off power wagon bracket kit from ebay a couple months ago.

One thing to note with the power wagon winch mount is that the power wagon winch is reversed and winds from the top of the drum instead of the bottom. I'm not sure if the standard Warn 12k will fit the power wagon mount in a flipped orientation, but there does seem to be plenty of room behind the bumper.

https://www.warn.com/the-ram-power-wagons-warn-winch

Another issue is the power wagon winch has an extended free-spool handle to reach through the opening in the bumper. Not sure how to deal with that yet but it's probably not as big a deal.

Here's a thread I found for adding the power wagon winch to a non-power wagon and has some good pics. He's using an actual power wagon winch though so nothing on the issue with using a standard winch.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how...trucks.104255/

edit: actually...looking back at that guy's thread it looks like he does have a flipped standard M12 instead of a power wagon M12 as his gear box is on the right and Warn's page above shows the power wagon gear box on the left with the cable spooling from the top.

What year model/engine combo are you trying to put it on?

Seems like I came across a thread where someone clocked a badlands winch, and had it work with the PW bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Anyone see any issues with using a universal winch mount plate for a 12K winch, and fabbing some brackets to mount it to the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
RSL

Member # 35895
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
That pic on the warn site isn't right. The PWs have the gearbox on the drivers side and the motor on the pass side (you can see this in the write-up you posted). It's funky as hell that the plug for the controller is also on the pass side, you have to be careful you don't get the cord in the winch line.
Travis..
3rd gen wagons have the reverse rotation Warn winch and reverse operating brake. The 4th gens have a normal spooling Warn but it is mounted upside down with the motor on the opposite side. Only other difference seem to be the clocking/length of the release lever on both models.

My 09 wagon (3rd gen) the solenoid pack shit the bed so I replaced it with a Runva contactor and was able to shoe horn it into the Warn cover and mount it higher on the radiator support to keep it out of most of the highway spray. Been 5 years and it works when I need it.

FWIW the Dodge 12K winches also seem to have the lower gearing of the 15K Warns but were derated for whatever reason. they also have a low voltage and thermal cutout which have been known to cause problems when pushed hard, both of mine have been bypassed.

Last edited by RSL; 02-04-2019 at 09:23 PM.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
3rd gen wagons have the reverse rotation Warn winch and reverse operating brake. The 4th gens have a normal spooling Warn but it is mounted upside down with the motor on the opposite side. Only other difference seem to be the clocking/length of the release lever on both models.

My 09 wagon (3rd gen) the solenoid pack shit the bed so I replaced it with a Runva contactor and was able to shoe horn it into the Warn cover and mount it higher on the radiator support to keep it out of most of the highway spray. Been 5 years and it works when I need it.

FWIW the Dodge 12K winches also seem to have the lower gearing of the 15K Warns but were derated for whatever reason. they also have a low voltage and thermal cutout which have been known to cause problems when pushed hard, both of mine have been bypassed.
Makes sense, my only late model PW experience is the two '16s we have at work. Pretty handy trucks, I've been using the shit out of the one I drive pulling all of the new-hire dumb asses out of ditches and fields since it's been raining.

Travis..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in