Front coil or spacers or BOTH? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Member # 529986
Posts: 3
Front coil or spacers or BOTH?

Have a 93 with the 5.9 and the front is sagging pretty much! without going toa lift kit but replacing the front sagging springs i've heard it raises the front about 2 inches I found that there is a spring spacer..anybody ever put this as well with new spring to get to 3-4 inches..and if so is there any modifications that need to be done to the front end to make it drive ok..mine is a 2 wheel drive

If you did this, did it work well. AND are they easy to put on?
Frodo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole
 
total newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Member # 464641
Location: trinity center ca
Posts: 11,637
I put spavers in my 2wd 99 to lift the front up to fit some 225/19.5. My truck was super heavy with a winch/bu.per and utility body. Now that i have the body off its not to bad but it was noticably stiffer when i originaly did it
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4243
Location: Westcoast Canuck... eh?
Posts: 5,386
As with just about any SLA suspension, too much lift ends in camber problems you can't adjust out.

I put the Moog 7226S coils in my '90 D250... gained some height, ride is fine. Should have been the stock coil, IMO.

EDIT: I don't consider the Dodge suspension especially robust, so I'd be cautious how far I'd push it. I'd rather use square-body chevy IFS, or any beam style axle for a beefy 2wd solution.
__________________
Dodge cobbler... (1stgen cummins theme)

Last edited by u2slow; 11-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Member # 529986
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
As with just about any SLA suspension, too much lift ends in camber problems you can't adjust out.

I put the Moog 7226S coils in my '90 D250... gained some height, ride is fine. Should have been the stock coil, IMO.

EDIT: I don't consider the Dodge suspension especially robust, so I'd be cautious how far I'd push it. I'd rather use square-body chevy IFS, or any beam style axle for a beefy 2wd solution.
So ended up getting the 1906 specialty 1 inch spacers for a 2.5-3 inch lift..anyone put these on just by compressing the springs or is it absolutely necessary to take apart the whole suspension just to get this spacers in? they are 3/4 circle so they should go around the stuff in the way like shock shaft etc
Frodo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4243
Location: Westcoast Canuck... eh?
Posts: 5,386
Might be tough without a compressor. YMMV.

I was just barely able to close up the suspension using only a floor jack when I swapped in the 7226S coils on their own.
__________________
Dodge cobbler... (1stgen cummins theme)
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Member # 213860
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2222 View Post
Have a 93 with the 5.9 and the front is sagging pretty much! without going toa lift kit but replacing the front sagging springs i've heard it raises the front about 2 inches I found that there is a spring spacer..anybody ever put this as well with new spring to get to 3-4 inches..and if so is there any modifications that need to be done to the front end to make it drive ok..mine is a 2 wheel drive

If you did this, did it work well. AND are they easy to put on?
I don’t know what your budget is. To get back to stock height you should address the worn out coil. If you want to add 1-2 inches run a spacer on top of a stock coil. Or just bite the bullet and buy a 1-2” lift coil for a 2wd.
K9Kodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52361
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 4,186
I know this is probably a dead thread, but weren't these known for bending LCAs? That'd cause front end sag
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4243
Location: Westcoast Canuck... eh?
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I know this is probably a dead thread, but weren't these known for bending LCAs? That'd cause front end sag
It's possible. Its not a rugged suspension. I put fresh coils in and still have a lean.

Be a fluke if they both bent the same amount eh?
__________________
Dodge cobbler... (1stgen cummins theme)
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52361
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
It's possible. Its not a rugged suspension. I put fresh coils in and still have a lean.

Be a fluke if they both bent the same amount eh?
Not really a stretch, they had a control arm that was built for a 360 that might last 100k, then they put it under a MDT engine and peeps start using these trucks, 200k hard miles later something isn't right
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4243
Location: Westcoast Canuck... eh?
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Not really a stretch, they had a control arm that was built for a 360 that might last 100k, then they put it under a MDT engine and peeps start using these trucks, 200k hard miles later something isn't right
2 different suspensions... the 'light' 3000/3300# suspension in the D150 and most D250s. The 'heavy" 3830/4000# suspension used on D350 and cummins D250. Has a stronger and deeper lower arm, taller coil spring & shock, bigger balljoints, and bigger TREs.

But essentially the same strut rod setup with rubber bushings throughout.
__________________
Dodge cobbler... (1stgen cummins theme)
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52361
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 4,186
I guess the question is, was the "heavy" arm the same d350 piece in 1988 when gas trucks lived short relatively easy lives before the motor blew. Maybe they beefed them up for the diesel, but regardless, they did improve them for 94+, LCAs are a non issue, plenty of 400k trucks chugging along
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4243
Location: Westcoast Canuck... eh?
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I guess the question is, was the "heavy" arm the same d350 piece in 1988
Essentially yes - I have the 'heavy' suspension on my '75 D300 crewcab also. 92-93 there's a doubler plate in the upper arm. They certainly didn't re-invent the suspension for the cummins. It's not even as sturdy as the 73-87 C20 suspension IMHO.

Agreed on 94+... they basically adopted a more 'GM style' short/long arm setup.
__________________
Dodge cobbler... (1stgen cummins theme)
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.