Project SuperDUkota - quad cab dakota on 40s - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 502649
Does the tire clear the front of the frame? Thatís where I ran into issues with mine. Donít forget about flexing too, that needs to be taken into account. Looks good though, carry on.
Twmdodge99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 86524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmdodge99 View Post
Does the tire clear the front of the frame? Thatís where I ran into issues with mine. Donít forget about flexing too, that needs to be taken into account. Looks good though, carry on.
Nope it does not lol. I will have to massage (or remake) the front horn for it to clear but it won't be too bad. The wheels I'm building with are factory super duty wheels with ~6" of backspace so new wheels will help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
I think bending the lower arm was a bad idea.
Nope it was not lol It was a good idea because it gives me necessary tire clearance, keeps the frame side link mounts relatively easy (on the frame rather than hanging from a crossmember), allows for transmission and t case access without having links in the way, leaves good driveshaft clearance, gives me a neutral to slightly negative roll axis angle, and keeps the MetalCloak joints parallel and on the same plane (which they require or could wear prematurely.)

Only drawback I foresee is the tube could bend more under heavy compression force from axle to frame side link mounts (making the links go from looking like ( to < from a top view.) However the only times this thing could see the force required to do that would be a front end crash at pretty good speed. And in that case, I would rather the links bend and absorb as much as possible so I'm good with losing a little rigidity.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDusty View Post
Only drawback I foresee is the tube could bend more under heavy compression force from axle to frame side link mounts (making the links go from looking like ( to < from a top view.) However the only times this thing could see the force required to do that would be a front end crash at pretty good speed.
That's exactly the reason I think its a bad idea. I'm not an engineer or anything, but from personal experience, it will take a LOT less effort to bend it than you think. You already started the bend. I bet if you hit something with the front end at even 5mph, there will be enough momentum force to bend it further. I had a link like yours, and it bent like nothing with barely any impact.. I think you weakened it like 95%.

Probably not an issue if you are just going to crawl with it, but I personally wouldnt do that.

Just friendly input from a guy who did his SAS dak like 15+ years ago

Nice build though, I dig it. You must be young, because we figured out the Dak was a killer platform like 20 years ago
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 86524
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
I had a link like yours, and it bent like nothing with barely any impact...

Probably not an issue if you are just going to crawl with it, but I personally wouldnt do that.
Huh that surprises me but good to know- thanks! I might add some reinforcement around the bend once I see how my new wheels and tires clear but if I'm honest with myself it'll be hauling the family around more than anything else so I'm not too worried lol.

Yeah im a little late to the dakota party apparently. I was getting my license when you did your SAS and, while I've always loved these trucks, they are finally getting in to my price range for being an unnecessary project truck haha. Thanks for the input- definitely helps to hear from the ones who have done it before!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigDusty; 02-13-2019 at 11:22 PM.
BigDusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 110114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDusty View Post

...The wheels I'm building with are factory super duty wheels with ~6" of backspace so new wheels will help too.
...my WMS is right about 69-1/2", and my wheels have 3.5" backspacing - best I can determine with 40" tires the only rubbing I will have might be the front frame horn under compression. I think 'wheels' would make a world of difference on your truck Sam.

these are the wheels I have - not sure they're still available but at least it gives the specs etc - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-98-7981s3-5
Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Your links will be fine. People with heavier rigs, with more power, that race have all chimed in on this subject and moral of the story is don't worry about it as long as the bend you put into the link isn't extreme. From the pictures it looks fine. Run it. If it bends more than make a new link from bigger, heavier tube.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 86524
Hey guys! Been slacking on the updates but have been getting some things done. Decided to start fresh on the driver's side frame...

Would have been more work to patch back in where I had to clearance it haha. Plus I won't have to worry about strengthening it around the steering box and panhard mounts. Also got the motor mount rebuild and the engine off the hoist (again haha). I could have saved myself quite a bit of time doing this before bothering to clean all the old brackets off the frame but oh well haha. Progress should start moving a little quicker from here. Here's how she looks now

3"x4"x.25" tubing in case anyone's wondering. Still need to locate the front body mount on the new frame section but then I'm on to mounting the steering box and panhard

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigDusty; 03-20-2019 at 07:58 AM.
BigDusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 866646
Great looking build! Nice craftsmanship.
4x4BT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in