47rh 1-2 Accumulator return spring missing? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 728961
47rh 1-2 Accumulator return spring missing?

Hey guys, I'm just about done putting back together my 47rh tranny. I upgraded the plastic 1-2 accumulator piston to a Sonnax billet aluminum piston. The factory service manual shows a stock return spring that sits on top of the piston, but that spring wasn't there before I removed the stock piston. Did some of these trannys not come with a return spring, or had someone must have removed it before me? Do I need to purchase a return spring, or is the transmission ok without it?

If it matters at all, while I was in the transmission I did the following: replace frictions and steels in the 2 front drums. Upgraded from 4 frictions to 5 (Raybestos), install Superior shift kit in valve body. Billet intermediate servo, billet reverse servo, billet accumulator, billet strut/anchor, 4.2 apply lever, billet super single low stall torque converter.
texastruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Probably got left out the last time someone removed the valve body for whatever reason. They will often fall out if you service the valve body in the vehicle, maybe they didn't notice it dropped out???

The Trans-Go shift kit comes with a new spring for that location. Just used a TFOD-2HD kit in a friend's 46RE. It was heavier than the stock spring.

Without the spring the accumulator won't work at all and the 1-2 shift will be really harsh. A local trans shop might give you a used one or the dealer can get you a stock replacement. Not sure if Trans-Go would sell you one separate from their kit or not.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 728961
alright thanks for the tip
texastruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in