95 dodge 4x4 front axle bearings - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 860690
95 dodge 4x4 front axle bearings

a I need to replace the front unit axle bearing and probably the front disc on my truck . The truck as 203 k miles on it and the bearings are the original ones and I don't want to be left on the side of the road so I going to replace them before they fail . Has any one done this or have any suggestions . I was going to replace the front with the locking hubs and ford knuckles but never got around to it so I want to use the truck to tow my bike to Colorado and don't want a tow bike ect . I was going to order the parts from I guess Rock auto un less some one has a better idea thanks for any advice
workinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Get timkins.

Watch videos on how to remove stuck bearings.

Get a big hammer or buy knuckle with the rotors already installed.

Stub nut torque counts! Dont just run the nut tight with a gun and call it good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by total newb; 09-08-2019 at 08:43 PM.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 859020
Get the OEMs from RockAuto. Pretty simple. Annoying part is the disc and unit bearing are attached via the wheel studs. You’ll need to press them out, or thread an old lug on and hammer away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stox5225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
I got some cheap detroit axle ones off ebay a few years ago...

Not too many miles on them but no issues. Truck has always had 35's and 37's on them.

If i was going to do it over I would buy one of the free spin kits.... Especially before i spent half the cost on unit bearings again.
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 860690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
I got some cheap detroit axle ones off ebay a few years ago...

Not too many miles on them but no issues. Truck has always had 35's and 37's on them.

If i was going to do it over I would buy one of the free spin kits.... Especially before i spent half the cost on unit bearings again.
Ok guys I do appreciate all of the reply . I like this old truck I bought it in 98 with 40 k miles and now its 204 k ish so I going to do a fix a few things that I don't like . Right now I just want to replace the front bearings before they bite me in the butt . I install the spin free but the 95 has in my option crappy front brakes and I want twin piston calipers and larger rotors so not sure what direction to go here . I need to use the truck a bit so new wheel bearings and new rotors and see what I can come up with later I guess
Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Nows the time to do the balljoints and axle ujoints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
And a 98HD T style steering... or 3rd gen steering.

Also good time to do a Dodge off road trac bar... or a 3rd gen... or do what I did and build my own.... My thread is in tow rig section.

Really.. find a cheap 2005+ super duty axle and swap that in at this point...
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 860690
maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
yes your right I need to check the entire front end This truck has been mine since 98 and almost all high way miles and I not dogged it in any way none of lets see If I can find a muddy road and go for it . Its a nice truck for a 95 original transmission not that I care I hate automatics and was waiting for it to go out and install a 6 speed
Old 09-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 860690
Well I ran out of time and just took my chances and towed the new Haul Mark trailer to Creede Colorado with my two Harleys . Not problems other than running more temps than I ever have . I never got out of the operation range but it was a tad unsettling as in never seen it do that . I was running 15 to 20 lb of boost and I was sure the stock automatic would give it up but not a problem . I going to give the old dodge a make over as I going to retire next year and I going to use it more . I going to get rid of the automatic and install a 6 speed manual . I was waiting for it to give it up but it never has so now I just going to replace it . Secondly the front axle will get some attention with better brakes better bearing . Manual hubs and make a decent truck for me . I know that automatics can be made to work but I not interested in 4 gears to tow with .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in