Dodge Dana 70U....Spoon feed me - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stunningly Average

Member # 4135
Dodge Dana 70U....Spoon feed me

Just a small joke since he was asking about D70 brakes...

So anyway, I have a '93 1st gen Dodge W250 with the 32 spline rear D70U axle. On the highway Monday I lost a rear axle seal and cooked the bearings, so I'm repairing the thing now. I figured since I'm going to have it apart, I may as well upgrade. Can I just use a 35 spline D70 carrier/spiders and 35 spline Yukon shafts to upgrade it? The stock shafts are 1.41" in diameter and the 35 splines are 1.5", there looks to be plenty of room in the spindles for a bigger shaft to clear. If this is possible I was going to install a 35 spline Detroit and the yukon shafts, but is there is a carrier bearing difference between 32 spline carriers and the 35 spline detroit carrier? How about between the 70hd and regular d70, both with 35 splines, is there any fitment issues?
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 200478
I believe the only difference 32 to 35 spline is the side gears. Carriers should swap. HD carriers are different. They are narrower IIRC to accomodate the larger carrier bearings.
isbj60 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stunningly Average

Member # 4135
Turns out the race in the hub spun and now I need a new hub as well. That style hub seems to be uncommon
The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector

Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26077
Send a message via AIM to another Lance
I have a 35 spline 70U Detroit for sale. And some 4.10s.
That’s what I did on mine, got the “cut to length” Yukon shafts and the 35 spline Detroit. Worked great. Only reason I’m selling is because I went with 5.13s and needed the other carrier split.
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
another Lance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Stunningly Average

Member # 4135
Not sure where the gear split is on the carrier, I have 3.55's now ( I thinks it's 4.10?) . I also have to wait and see if I can locate a hub and unfuck the threads on the spindle. That D70 has the genius Dodge design of the brake drum behind the hub and not vice versa. I'm having a hard time finding one local and the one I found on ebay was $200 plus shipping. Just looking at it cost wise, I'm getting less sure I want to spend $200 for the hub, $400 for axles and $$ for a Detroit when I can find a 14 bolt for cheap and swap it in...

Last edited by wheelerfreak; 09-13-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak View Post
Not sure where the gear split is on the carrier, I have 3.55's now ( I thinks it's 4.10?) . I also have to wait and see if I can locate a hub and unfuck the threads on the spindle. That D70 has the genius Dodge design of the brake drum behind the hub and not vice versa. I'm having a hard time finding one local and the one I found on ebay was $200 plus shipping. Just looking at it cost wise, I'm getting less sure I want to spend $200 for the hub, $400 for axles and $$ for a Detroit when I can find a 14 bolt for cheap and swap it in...
Don't single out Dodge for using the classic/standard Dana brake drum position

Sounds like way too much to spend on a 32-spline 70u. These are $200 diffs any day of the week except for the few knuckleheads charging cummins tax. Until '91.5, they were 35 spline... look for studs/nuts and cones on the axle flanges instead of bolts. An older 70B (pre '85?) has larger pinion bearings.

At the ~$400 threshold, you can get yourself a 2ndgen Dana 80 pretty easy. (what I did)
https://ramchargercentral.com/axle-t...stcoast-style/

You won't get 3.54 with a 14bFF. OTOH, a Ford 10.25" does, and has the drum style you want. Lockright has worked well for me in D60/70/80 and ford 10.25".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in