Chevy Express rear axle into second gen? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Chevy Express rear axle into second gen?

I'm finding (by search) that the rear from a SRW chevy 3500 cutout express van being a D70 (10.5") to measure right at 70" wms. And I'm measuring my second gen 2500 at maybe right at or a tad more than 69" wms.

Wanting to go from 3.54's to 4.10's and know axle swap is usually half the price. Done found my front looking for a rear now. I'm finding those express axles are a dime a dozen around here. Found one for $300 with a limited slip and good disk brake with ebrake setup to boot ready to go. Slide perches and shock hangers over and why not? Possibly a brake valve added but instant upgrade as far as I can tell.

What am I missing before hitting the trigger and calling my local parts yard and making a trip for I've searched it to death and can't find any word to any firsthand swapped? What's wrong with them?

1/2" wider on each side would be hardly noticeable and as far as I can tell, would even out the track path.

D70's from any SRW 94+ 2500 truck disk OR drum is $600+ around here. Besides maybe just plug and play since cummins lasts longer and axles still in need being only thing I can come up with? Unless those chevy express axles have flaws?

Just saw how abundant they were today and just started researching it. Everybody's going with the later 02+ rear axles but they pricey.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Ebrake cables may be a bitch but get the ones on the axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4243
That the 12-bolt-cover Dana 70S? These have few oddball things about them as far as internals.

I'd skip the limited grip if its a gov-bomb.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 52361
There's a d70 variant in that year range that there is no limited slip or locker available for, I'd triple check what you're getting. I spent a few hours searching for my 2005 express van, a complete swap out is the only way
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
That the 12-bolt-cover Dana 70S? These have few oddball things about them as far as internals.

I'd skip the limited grip if its a gov-bomb.
Nailed it... It's 12 bolts (I missed that) I'm finding conflicting info on it but it's definitely unique inside either way.

It's either a Dana super 60 or a Dana super 70. Both have 12 bolts. But lockers, gears and such are all unique.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in