Ramcharger build on 49" IROKs (project thread) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126456
Ramcharger build project (stretched, chopped, bobbed, doved, & lowered onto 43s)

Ok, here goes... 1990 Ramcharger going up on 49" IROKs.
Plan is to move the rear axle rearward ~6" while opening up the fender well ~12" and move the front axle ~12" forward while flat fendering the front fenders. Goal is to build a 'general purpose' off road rig and keep the roof height at 8' or below but still allowing for a 'decent' amount of flex. The 1990 Ramcharger is 2wd & basically rust free from GA. 440/727/205 combo going in... at some point upgrading to a 3sp xfer. Standard locked D60/D70 full hydro steering combo. Other bells & whistles will fall into place after I get the suspension relocation brackets/crossmembers fabricated and the chassis rolling again.

Last edited by jopickens; 01-25-2012 at 11:06 PM.
jopickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 108302
HEy, Nice looking start. Are you planning on openening up the rear by removing the top?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126456
I haven't thought that through yet... would make fabbing the cage easier when the time comes, but it's nice cover for my two boys for now. I actually started removing the top of my 85 charger via the rocks at Tellico years ago. 8-)
Would be nice to at least have quick-release removable rear side windows for the time being...

Last edited by jopickens; 01-04-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Good to see you got a thread started.
Looking forward to the progress.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 97119
Is it going to be that tall? Looks like you can lower it somewhat if your cutting fenders but Im guessing its a mud truck correct?
Are you going to upgrade your shafts to handle those tires?

Quote:
You know if Chuckie comes back he will get banned again...If Camo dosent do it I can see him pokin me till I do it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oh how the tables have turned Slitty
Bajabomber87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126456
I hope not... 8-) I know how much lift it took to make my 85 ramcharger comfortable on 40" tires. Trying to base my calculations off of that example and find the fine line between articulation and fender hacking...
Mud/trail truck more than anything else I guess... not the plethora of rocks around here like out west etc. D60 Stub shaft upgrade is high on the list... we'll see how everything else holds up.

Side note - anyone got the itch for a pile of 2wd ramcharger parts??? 8-)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126456
Ok - onto the first fab session... extending the front frame rails a bit ~8". I had an old parking lot light pole lying around which is 4x4-3/16" wall square tubing... fits in the frame nice and snug. I can fab in a new crossmember under the radiator support for the front body mounts - and tie in the extensions out front. Should make a nice little flat spot for my hydraulic winch when complete. Anywho - my main concern is with the stength of what I'll add compared to the original frame strength right at the rear most tie in point under the hood. I'd rather the factory frame not decide to bend in this location. 8-) Any thoughts or concerns?

(square tubing is not cut to length yet obviously...)

Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Similar plans here as far as moving the front axle forward. I fabbed this frame extension out of channel:

When I get to the point that I've going to shift the axle forward, I'll be cutting the front crossmember out like you did and shifting the extension back in the frame to gain as much strength as I can from it, then box the frame back behind the engine crossmember and brace in the engine crossmember to the extension. The grille and radiator support will be modified to sink the Braden back inside a bit.

We did a similar setup on a Toyota Tacoma that we did a SAS on but used square tubing hammered into the stock sheetmetal frame rails and plug welded. It has held up real well at Tellico and a few other tough runs. We didn't brace it as much as I intended to on the Ramcharger due to the much lower weight.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 63496
Send a message via Yahoo to Rebel_Ram
wow, this is gonna be a sweet build. u should check out ramchargecentral.com out if u havent already. cant wait to c this done gonna give me a good idea on where ur movin ur axles, iv been thinkin about doin that with my rc.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 100825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopickens View Post
Would be nice to at least have quick-release removable rear side windows for the time being...
go to a boat top shop and have them make "soft" side windows that you can attach with snaps.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 110114
definitely have to watch this one - cool build. RC's rock

- M2
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42423
Wow, this thing is gonna be cool, cant wait to see this take shape, good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 79629
Yeah I gotta know about the axles. I'm assuming your gonna throw some chromo's under it atleast? I've seen big blocks and 44's snap 60's all day long with chromoly shafts in them. First time you turn the tires and romp on it.......

Good build though.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 47573
Sweet build hope to see lots of pics love pics . The Frame is my concern also my RC frame has cracked and broke so manny times but i have not reinforced it much but im runing rocks with 44 '' tires and leafs front and back with dodge 360 727 208.

I have about 10 ''- 11 '' of lift and im right under 8 ' tall . So what kinda axles will be hard to run 49'' and not brake unless its rockwells .

Country Boy 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 63496
Send a message via Yahoo to Rebel_Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy 4x4 View Post
Sweet build hope to see lots of pics love pics . The Frame is my concern also my RC frame has cracked and broke so manny times but i have not reinforced it much but im runing rocks with 44 '' tires and leafs front and back with dodge 360 727 208.

I have about 10 ''- 11 '' of lift and im right under 8 ' tall . So what kinda axles will be hard to run 49'' and not brake unless its rockwells .

any more pics of ur rc?? it looks sweet

Last edited by Rebel_Ram; 01-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Rebel_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 105299
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post

The grille and radiator support will be modified to sink the BRADEN back inside a bit.

What is that?

Some sort of winch I assume but it has me very curious

Last edited by big giant head; 01-05-2009 at 02:26 PM.
big giant head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 97119
Its a BRADEN winch

Quote:
You know if Chuckie comes back he will get banned again...If Camo dosent do it I can see him pokin me till I do it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oh how the tables have turned Slitty
Bajabomber87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87924
Send a message via AIM to s7726
Glad to see more RC's being built. Keep the updates coming. Mine's down for a trany rebuild right now.
s7726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Quote:
Originally Posted by big giant head View Post
What is that?

Some sort of winch I assume but it has me very curious

As Baja said, it is a Braden worm drive electric winch. Braden has made winches for many years. Most of the PTO winches on light duty military vehicles like the M37 and M715 series vehicles were built by Braden. My winch is only rated for 8k lbs, but that was back in the early 1960s and it will easily out pull today's winches rated for 15k lbs. They might be faster with planetary gears but nothing but a hydraulic or PTO will out pull these old worm drives.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 105299
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
As Baja said, it is a Braden worm drive electric winch. Braden has made winches for many years. Most of the PTO winches on light duty military vehicles like the M37 and M715 series vehicles were built by Braden. My winch is only rated for 8k lbs, but that was back in the early 1960s and it will easily out pull today's winches rated for 15k lbs. They might be faster with planetary gears but nothing but a hydraulic or PTO will out pull these old worm drives.

It made me wonder when I didnt see any hydraulic lines run into it (no cables either ) Are these inexpensive or rare by any chance?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 41063
The electric ones are pretty rare as most trucks ended up with commercial Ramsey or Warn electric winches. A Braden is an industrial grade winch like a Garwood or Tulsa. Braden winches are still made by the PACCAR Winch Division but the MU8 (mechanical PTO) and HU8 (hydraulic) 8k lbs winches are all that is available. The electric EU8, the great, great grandson of my winch, is no longer available though the HU8 and MU8 can be converted to electric. Prices can vary depending on the truck service company you are buying from but they are generally about twice as much as the popular commercial winches. I lucked out and got this one for $100 in a non-working condition and it took me 14 years to gather all the parts to rebuild it last summer.

Oh, and I do have a little bit of wire rope on it now but I need to buy a new 150' length:

And to keep from completely hijacking Jopickens' thread, I have also thought about the removable rear windows. I had thought of just filling them with sheetmetal like a panel wagon and then perhaps putting in a common RV window that would open, but that's a lot of time and trouble. My thoughts on removable windows would be to put a track at the bottom for the glass to set in, cover the pinch weld with a common door weatherstrip available in bulk rolls, and have the glass drilled for strap cleats so that the glass could be set in the track at the bottom and then Velcro straps mounted to the inside ceiling could be fed through the cleats and tightened down to hold the top of the window tight against the seal. The only problem I have with the idea is the curve at the top of the window, which could cause some problems if the window doesn't fit just perfectly against the curve of the body as putting it in a bind would probably bust the glass when you hit a good bump.

Last edited by Elwenil; 01-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Elwenil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 104943
What kind of suspension are you using? Im guessing leafs?
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 124547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopickens View Post
I haven't thought that through yet... would make fabbing the cage easier when the time comes, but it's nice cover for my two boys for now. I actually started removing the top of my 85 charger via the rocks at Tellico years ago. 8-)
I'm sure I'll see this beast on the road at some point in time.... clarksburg here...
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 104943
Hey dook where in cburg ya at? Im just outside of there in shinnston.
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 110704
Looks great, can't wait to see how things go for this build. Funny thing is that I'm about to start tearing in to my '89 2wd Ramcharger to make it into my wheeler. Not going to the extreme you are...yet, but will have to figure out some of the things your doing.

On mine, I'm going to start with just a D44 and the 9.25 axles with 35's. Shackle flip in the rear, parallel 4-link in front. Since the body is all rusty, going to cut a decent amount of it off. Hopefully for under $3k I can have it rolling 4x4 to "test and tune" till I get some 1tons for it, and build the doubler and the 4-link in the rear, and on and on. By the time it's "done" my wife will probably .

Great start, I'll be watching this one for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in