1st gen Cummins 2x4 to 4x4 conversion - Page 25 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #601 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyRacer View Post
So I guess that means no more pictures in this thread huh? Was really interested in seeing how the Ford axle fit with the wider spring pad width.
You do realize that the truck was a 2x4 so there were no spring mounts. I built all the mounts. But to answer your question. I lined the rear of the springs under the frame, for the shackles. Then I just made the mounts for the front. The springs are about 3" or so narrower in the front than the rear. ****There is nothing wrong with that, actually most of the newer truck are than way in the rear. It helps for lateral stability. I ran a really long shackle 6+" I think.

The truck is still around, I sold it to a guy that went to my high school. (Yes I still live near the town where I grew up ) I do get an Email when this thread is posted, on so if there is any questions on the build. Please feel free to ask away. I really liked that truck and I do miss it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Offroad Design ♦ Atomic MC ♦ Jantz Engineering
K5runner@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #602 (permalink)

Member # 51670
I do realize it was a 2wd. That's why I asked because I just picked up a 2wd truck and have a SD60 in my car port right now. Just kind of eyeballing with a tape showed that if I kept the springs straight I was going to have to out board the mounts quite a bit. Was just wondering how yours was set up but all of the pics are gone. Thanks for the response tho.
ElkyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #603 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
I will go back and re post the pics. I have them all. Web shots went on vacation lol.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #604 (permalink)

Member # 51670
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I will go back and re post the pics. I have them all. Web shots went on vacation lol.
That would be great! Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #605 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
How did it ride and how did you like the cab? Always liked the first gens but the few I drove were pretty loud and hopped like crazy around town. My 2nd gen is a little better but I might grab a first gen down the road. Oh and what actual fuel economy did you get on the 37s?

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #606 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyRacer View Post
That would be great! Thanks
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
How did it ride and how did you like the cab? Always liked the first gens but the few I drove were pretty loud and hopped like crazy around town. My 2nd gen is a little better but I might grab a first gen down the road. Oh and what actual fuel economy did you get on the 37s?
It drove really nice. It was smooth because of the long leafs F/R. And since it was relatively low it was stable on the fwy and around corners. There is a bunch of insulation on the cab (min of 1" on the firewall and floors) but it was still loud. I think that the cab (fit, finish, material, etc...)is a pile of dog shit. It ratteld everything loose, the cab I'm convinced is made of paper. super thin, can't really use the back for anything other than a place for your backpack and jacket. Even then a pain to get them out. If I were to end up with another 1st gen extra cab (Which I wont!) The seats and mounting of will need to be changed to ones with sliders and tilt forward to get into the back.

I think the frame is super strong and no need to mess with. I did not like the placement of the plastic fuel tank though. I had purchased, and still have a 40 gal suburban tank with all the mounting to install behind the axle.

If you look at my old dodge the only thing that was left on there from the way it was built in Mexico, is the motor, frame and body. Everything else got changed to something *better.

Don't get me wrong I loved that truck, actually more than the 05 CTD I drive now. It was the perfect combination of tow and play. No problem towing 15k+ at 65mph then wheelen all weekend long.

*My opinion

Please tell me what pics you guys want to see and I will post them.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #607 (permalink)

Member # 51670
All of them.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #608 (permalink)

Member # 235989
i just put a 1979 ford hp 60 into my 2wd first gen, ill be making a build thread soon
downhilldustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #609 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Okay so I started adding the pics. Give me some time and I will have them all back up.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #610 (permalink)

Member # 51670
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Okay so I started adding the pics. Give me some time and I will have them all back up.
I saw that today. I really do appreciate it!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #611 (permalink)

Member # 131151
x2 for replacing the pictures. I was rereading the thread recently to see how you did the suspension work and noticed all of the pictures were gone.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #612 (permalink)

Member # 865690
Nice looking truck. Iím assuming it started life as a 2wd. Looking to do that to do that to the one owner 68k mile 2001 cumming 2500 I just picked up. Let the fun begin!
Ramdh90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #613 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 96153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramdh90 View Post
Nice looking truck. Iím assuming it started life as a 2wd. Looking to do that to do that to the one owner 68k mile 2001 cumming 2500 I just picked up. Let the fun begin!
Ya it was a cool project. The new owner was up the street from me but has now moved. But I still see the ol the truck. Miss it...

My bro just bought a 93' 4x4 that we will be doing some of the same mods to.

And I'm currently building a 79' Chevy with a cummins.

PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Yes it was a 2x that I bought for the motor, ended up building the truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in