Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Send a message via AIM to HEEPJEEP
Perfect! And now we know! Too bad you found out the hard way.

So the D60 ball joints fit in the TTB50 knuckles allowing it to bolt to the inner ball joint c's, BUT the spindle surface is too far inboard to clear the 60 shafts. Also the steering arms are at an odd angle that probably would induce steering issues.

I do wonder though what the difference measurement wise is in the spindle mounting surface distances to the BJ pivot line? Could a spacer be used to allow it to work and still maybe have some engagement in the knuckle bore? If so, a steering set up and track bar set up could be built to fix the geometry... It could be another swap and maybe even cheaper, but requiring more work? Be something interesting for someone to play with...

82F100SWB, looks like you were wrong about the TTB50 knuckles not being able to be bolted to the 60. It might be best if you go back and edit your posts and clarify so people don't get confused.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 174639
Great Pictures

These really help and should answer alot of questions for folks, I know for me it has...............Thanks alot
79-440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 53678
Send a message via AIM to nascarfreak88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEPJEEP View Post
Perfect! And now we know! Too bad you found out the hard way.

So the D60 ball joints fit in the TTB50 knuckles allowing it to bolt to the inner ball joint c's, BUT the spindle surface is too far inboard to clear the 60 shafts. Also the steering arms are at an odd angle that probably would induce steering issues.

I do wonder though what the difference measurement wise is in the spindle mounting surface distances to the BJ pivot line? Could a spacer be used to allow it to work and still maybe have some engagement in the knuckle bore? If so, a steering set up and track bar set up could be built to fix the geometry... It could be another swap and maybe even cheaper, but requiring more work? Be something interesting for someone to play with...
yea i was wondering if a spacer sort of like the caliper brackets for the d44 would work.
nascarfreak88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 144243
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6toy4x View Post
For starters there are 2 types of Dana 60s-there are the older version which are kingpins made for all three manufacturers these knuckles won't work on your dodge. Then there is the balljoint dana 60s which were produced for dodge starting in 94 and ford starting in I believe 92. All the dodge 60s were balljoints with unit bearings while the fords from 92-97 were balljoints with old school spindles and wheel bearings. The fords also have dual piston brake calipers which are a great upgrade to the dodge single piston caliper but you have to use the ford knuckle to bolt on these brakes. Lastly the ford utilizes the conventional locking hub as opposed to CAD axle disconnect dodge uses.
So you get three nice upgrades if you swap out to the ford stuff. If you keep the dodge knuckle you have to redrill the ford kingpin spindle to match the four bolt unit bearing pattern of the dodge knuckle. Then you use the ford stub axle from a ford dana 60 king pin or balljoint (you can't use your dodge stub because it is completely different because of the unit bearing). The wheel hub and locking hub can be from any ford 60 kingpin, balljoint or TTB50. You will retain the dodge single piston calipers. As far as rotors go some say you can use the ford 60 or TTB50 rotors with the dodge caliper, I don't think this is a good idea because the ford rotors are only 1.25" thick as opposed to the dodges which are 1.5" thick. So if you run the pads all the way down the piston in the caliper gets very close to coming out of the caliper. I think trying an 02 gmc 2500 4wd front rotor which looks like it will work if installled on the back side of the wheel hub, you will have to turn down the back side of the ford hub to fit the GM rotor. So this route requires a whole lot of intermixing and when you measure the offset of the dodge unit bearing setup from face of knuckle to centerline of axle u joint and compare that same measurement to the finished ford spindle swap using the dodge knuckles the axle u joint center line is around .100" further outboard so technically the axle u joint is not on the same centerline as the balljoints are.

So if you swap the ford stuff, knuckles out, it is a factory setup that you know is going to be right, you get conventional wheel bearings, dual piston brakes and locking hubs. If you redrill ford spindles to fit the dodge knuckles you get a mismatched setup that isn't quite perfect and don't get the dual piston brake upgrade.

I did the whole swap utilizing a 97 ford housing. I am still intrigued with redrilling the ford spindles and am trying different combinations on the left over ford housing. Just to see if it can really be done cheaply with as many TTB 50 parts as possible. I also have a set of aftermarket solid axle balljoint knuckles with their high steer arms which combined with chevy spindles/stubs/wheel hubs and locking hubs is another option however not the cheapest route.
Thanks for this summary.

I have a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel. From what you are saying if I wanted to do this conversion I would need to look for a 92 - 97 Ford F250 4x4 with a Dana 60 and get the parts from the u-joint out (stub shaft, knuckle, rotor, hub, caliper and hose) to make this work. Is that correct?

I am looking for clarification. The water is muddy in this this thread because so many posters are talking about different donors and different applications. I want to be sure I get the correct parts for my truck.

If I went this route what fabrication is required to get the Ford parts to bolt up to my Dodge Dana 60 so I can use my stock rims?

Thanks for the help. This is a great post. My goal is to gain better braking, eliminate the unit bearings and get locking hubs.
Bob95065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob95065 View Post
Thanks for this summary.

I have a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel. From what you are saying if I wanted to do this conversion I would need to look for a 92 - 97 Ford F350 4x4 with a Dana 60 and get the parts from the u-joint out (stub shaft, knuckle, rotor, hub, caliper and hose) to make this work. Is that correct?
Fixed

All F250 knuckles for this year range are TTB, and the source of the problems encountered in this thread.

That said, here in the pacific northwest *nobody* sells parts off this style and older dana 60 fronts. For that reason, I think the better way to go is keeping the Dodge knuckle and using F250 Dana 50TTB stuff... redrill some spindles, get stubs, and buy the 78-79 rotors. If you need better brakes, get hydroboost. My 2 cents.

Last edited by u2slow; 01-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 178361
Send a message via Yahoo to 6LCummins
Quote:
The internal locking hub GM and Dodge hubs are usually wayyyy more money. Like $250 a pair used vs FREE.
I bought my Dodge/Chevy hubs for 200 shipped to my door for the pair.

Special Thanks to our sponsors:
Pureflow Technologies
Goerend Trans
Hamilton Cams
Mumau Dsl
Eatsoot.com
Powerflow Products
Turbo Performance
6LCummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 178361
Send a message via Yahoo to 6LCummins
Quote:
The internal locking hub GM and Dodge hubs are usually wayyyy more money. Like $250 a pair used vs FREE.
Misread post

Special Thanks to our sponsors:
Pureflow Technologies
Goerend Trans
Hamilton Cams
Mumau Dsl
Eatsoot.com
Powerflow Products
Turbo Performance
6LCummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 53678
badda bing badda boom

Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 174639
Please tell me how long the stubs need to be for the swap?? 11" or 12" ? Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 53678
knuckle under steering with chevy tre and straight DOM will NOT work with this. hits my sway bar brackets on the passenger side. Going to use the chevy tres under the knuckles.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 22267
No luck at all eh? Glad those knuckles worked out for you man! We actually just sold our (79fordgirl and my) truck that she did the conversion on. Keep up the tech and keep posting what you find with your steering set up.

Personally, if I could, I could keep the tie rod on top of the knuckles and maybe clearance the sway bar brackets???
Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 53678
Quote:

Personally, if I could, I could keep the tie rod on top of the knuckles and maybe clearance the sway bar brackets???
i dont see a way around this without having to fab something up.

and if you look at these you can see the bend, this is the thuren steering.

though the sway bar brackets in those last two pics are different then mine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 22267
Yeah you have the newer style sway bar mounts... Hmmm.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 53678
pluggin away at it still.

Steering is in... got dark on me before i was able to get a good pic of the draglink in referance to the trac bar.

this is at full lock to the left.

debauting whether or not to try and see if i can indent the cover some. wont turn any father, knuckle steering stops hit the axle... which also happen to align perfectly. almost like they were meant to be there haha.

does not get as close when turing to the right.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 22267
I wouldn't bother clearancing it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 47939
Send a message via AIM to adam5432002
Did you use ford knuckles off a 90's F350? You can send them out for drilling and tapping for cross over and high steer now...... Venders on pirate do that.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 53678
yeah the stuff i used was from the 95+ ford.

the thing is keeping the draglink parallel with the trac bar.

if i didnt have the carli coils up front i think it would be dead on perfect. they add about 2inches or so of lift up front.

couldnt flip them on top of the d60 knucks as it hits the sway bar brackets.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 53678

Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 179161
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
The AAM knuckles and the later Dodge D60s (01-02?) have a different inner C. The balljoint mounts in the C instead of the knuckle.

Yeah, the solid-axle D50 knuckle are the same as the D60 ones (F250/350 anyways).
This is true about the D50 till the unit bearing years. Suddenly the outer knuckle is really thick on the fords unlike the dodge knuckles. I was wondering if these could be milled down so the '93 ttb spindles could be used on it? This would retain your ability to use the original '99 superduty brake calipers? though you may have to us a different rotor?
Consaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 179161
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6toy4x View Post
For starters there are 2 types of Dana 60s-there are the older version which are kingpins made for all three manufacturers these knuckles won't work on your dodge. Then there is the balljoint dana 60s which were produced for dodge starting in 94 and ford starting in I believe 92. All the dodge 60s were balljoints with unit bearings while the fords from 92-97 were balljoints with old school spindles and wheel bearings. The fords also have dual piston brake calipers which are a great upgrade to the dodge single piston caliper but you have to use the ford knuckle to bolt on these brakes. Lastly the ford utilizes the conventional locking hub as opposed to CAD axle disconnect dodge uses.
This is all great information but where do the chevy axles fit in there?
Consaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consaka View Post
This is true about the D50 till the unit bearing years.
No - the unit-bearing knuckles for D50 and D60 are the same (i.e. 99-04 F250/F350).

The TTB50 knuckle is not the same as a 92-97 D60 (balljoint) knuckle.

Quote:
Suddenly the outer knuckle is really thick on the fords unlike the dodge knuckles. I was wondering if these could be milled down so the '93 ttb spindles could be used on it? This would retain your ability to use the original '99 superduty brake calipers? though you may have to us a different rotor?
Uhh... That's a lot of work for a dual-piston caliper. Hydroboost with the stock calipers works damn good.

The Superduty brakes didn't get significantly bigger until '05, and then its a whole different knuckle and inner-C's.

Last edited by u2slow; 02-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 22501
just so I can go on reading the rest of the posts WHAT is TTB
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech.../Dana44TTB.htm
Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 174639
Twin Traction Beam TTB
Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 35017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consaka View Post
This is all great information but where do the chevy axles fit in there?
The title of this thread is, "Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles".
WHY would Chevy axles fit anywhere in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ford+TTB

Last edited by apbt3178; 02-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
apbt3178 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in