Cheapass Wireless Winch Remotes That Work AWESOME!!! - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Back from the dead again...

So I put a gigglepin GP-100 on my snow rig. Awesome winch, but now with 300 feet of winchrope I've exceeded the distance my cheapo remote will reliably work. Back to the drawing board.

I tried Badlands and HF, but they fell short to, by about a hundred feet, just like the pilot.

Found this a week or so ago and tested and installed it today. It works! 400' plus away and still working!

https://www.gamainc.com/product/rf12v-2-asl/

I ordered it long range and rechargeable remote. No longer cheap, but it works amazing.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 825698
I'm hoping to do a little give and take here regarding the HF remotes. I need help trouble shooting an issue, but I'm also bringing some current info about how these units are currently wired.

I picked up two of these remotes on my recent travels to the lower 48 (no HF in Alaska), intending to use one in my truck and the other being for my buddy.

Current wiring on these units is:
Green - Winch in
White - Winch out
Black - Ground
Red - +12V in

I powered the unit with a fused, switched 12V straight off the battery. I jumped the common and floating grounds together in the Warn solenoid pack. The wireless controller worked for a couple minutes, then died. My fuse between the battery and switch was good, so I wired in the second unit. After wiring in the second one, it occurred to me to check the internal fuse in the first one. Blown. The second unit ran for a couple minutes and blew the internal fuse too.

I've been googling my heart out and can't find accounts of anything similar. Does anybody have any suggestions to help me trouble shoot this?

Last edited by Low_Sky; 07-28-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Low_Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 512986
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
The board changed significantly from the pics I've seen, but the wiring has not.
I still needed to add an external ground. Soldered it on to the back of the Black wire connection. That was all that was required.
I thought I understood why the external ground was when I thought you were soldering it to the unused pin that connects to the Warn Red wire, but why do you need to ground the black wire?
vinsanity0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Sorry, no help. Mine died and was replaced with a Warn wireless.

The HF unit lasted for several months, including some pretty hard use for about 3 days when I was clearing some big pines on my property. A few (probably too) heavy pulls to untangle entire trees, then a bunch of lighter pulls dragging big logs. I went to pull a kid out the ditch on our road and it was DOA. It was the middle of winter and I live on a sketch road, I didn't even bother to troubleshoot. Amazon prime to the rescue with a new Warn remote.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 858402
Exclamation New HF Wireless Remote Wiring

Hey Guys,

New to this so please help me out.

HF has a new wiring on their Wireless Remote for their Winches. The colors are:
Black, Green, Red and White. The remote looks the exact same till you check out the wires. Anybody out there know what the wire match is? I want to use it on my Super Winch Terra 4500. Thanks for any help you can give me.
WebSip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 861546
I recently (yesterday and today) was testing the harbor freight winch pinouts and figured I'd relay my findings. I did not cut the remote cable so I dont know if colors change in there from the solenoid pack but in the control box there's 2 configurations that I've seen on my 2 winches.

Remote control for badlands 12k & ZXR winches:
Looking at the remotes connector with the alignment finger at 12 o'clock and looking counter-clockwise the first pin (1 oclock) is +12v common, the second pin (12 oclock) is a negative, the third pin (11oclock) is the out, the fourth pin (9 oclock) is another negative (actually connected with pin 2), pin 5 (6 oclock) is the in pin.

Control boxes
Config A: Badlands (last generation,2017) 12k
5 pin connector, 4 wires.
Yellow/green +12v common, black is ground (tied together with solenoid pack and chassis ground wire), brown is the out command, and blue is the in command

Config B: Badlands ZXR winches
5 pin connector, 4 wires.
Red is +12v common, blue is out command, white is in command, black is ground, again tied to the chassis, remote, and solenoid pack.

I bought some warn 3pin connectors (16296, the untested mating end would be 14469) to remote mount for easy access to plug in the remote and that is wired as
7 physical spots for wiring, 3 in use.
White (with the larger eyelet) +12v common, black (smaller eyelet) is out command, and green (again smaller eyelet) is in command. These were tested with the above harbor freight remotes. The mating end is just the housing in 2 pieces and the pins, you have to supply the wire for that one and pin it yourself.

I noticed the 2017 remote was a little extra snug on the warn connectors (and the ZXR original connector too), where as the remote for the ZXR fit all the connectors just fine.

I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone, but figured since I couldn't find it when I looked for it, maybe someone else who needs it would appreciate it.
Ace_boy2786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in