Aftermarket gauges: is there an accepted color coding for wiring? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Aftermarket gauges: is there an accepted color coding for wiring?

Title basically states it.

For aftermarket gauges like Autometer, is there an accepted color coding for the wiring? Or is it just what is in hand?

I'm looking at fuel gauge, oil pressure, water temp and trans temp.

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 856224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
Title basically states it.

For aftermarket gauges like Autometer, is there an accepted color coding for the wiring? Or is it just what is in hand?

I'm looking at fuel gauge, oil pressure, water temp and trans temp.
I keep the white and black for the lighting. Ignition red. Sending unit is whatever I have on hand. I make sure I label everything. I would be more concerned about the insulation being rated for the area you are installing and termination method, solder and heat on splices. All the gauges you have listed will require one sender wire. You will have to change the sender in the gas tank as auto meter does not match up with the jeep resistance sender values. I just built a custom auto meter cluster and pillar pod for my LS swap. Any questions let me know.
98teejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
No problem with things labeled. I've got a Dymo with heat shrink rolls :

I'm doing a fresh rewire on a new project and I found that Autometer doesn't include any wiring aside from lighting.

On my previous project, the gauges(Haneline) I used included wiring so I matched their colors.

Not Jeep but GM fuel pump assembly from 2000+.
Attached Images

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 788993
usually it is...

red: ignition power
black: ground
orange or white: headlamp signal/power (turns on the gauge backlight when you turn headlights on)
green: gauge sender

I will usually use different colors for different gauge sender, i.e. blue wire for water temp, yellow for oil press, etc. that way you dont have a whole bunch of green wires that are hard to trace back to troubleshoot, if needed.

I usually splice the red and white together, that way i dont have to worry about splicing into a separate circuit for headlamp turn on signal.

some other more "sophisticated" gauges have a 3 wire sender that consist of black, purple, green, if i remember correctly. (my autometer fuel pressure sender is this way)

I dont think there is a "standard" that gauge manufacturers have to abide by, but in my experience, this is the "norm".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in