Batteries...Optima alternatives? - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 45521
I've been having good luck with the Deka intimidators in my trail ride for the past couple of years, using them a few times a month and they always crank strong and winch well. The optima red tops in the diesel cranked strong for the first few months but now if it doesn't start the first try on a cold morning I have to pull an extension cord and hook the charger up. They will get replaced with Dekas soon.
almostthere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #102 (permalink)
Liquid Iron Ind.

Member # 52894
I'm running an XS Power in my new buggy and it's great. It's this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/XSP-S1200/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(856)-336-2639

Molten Motorsports #4343 "Fred"
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #103 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Looks like a similar casing to the Odysseys (slightly different top) although I couldn't tell you which one was better having no experience with the XS Power. I bet our Odyssey 1200 battery mount fits or at least is pretty close.

1-855-ARTEC99
Like us on

Quick Links:

Artec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
If it is the same dims, you may want to rework a top bar so that it isn't pinching the corners of the battery when tightened down.

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #105 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post

The difference in all the Odessey batteries is capacity, as that goes up, the battery gets bigger. In most 4x4 aplications size isn't an issue, so no point in buying the small ones when for a few bucks more you can get a whole lot more battery. Just make sure you've got a good mount because they're fawking heavy batteries.
Heavy is an understatement. My PC1750 weighs 60lbs.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 85036
Exide Orbital Blues have served me well for a couple of years now.

Blown349 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 11922
Send a message via MSN to Devil Dog Send a message via Skype™ to Devil Dog
i have one exide blue top and it didn't last for crap.. i am currently in the market for two batteries..

i've had red top optimas for years.... and have seen their decline... so i am reluctant to get anything more from them..

but i want a "normal" size battery if you will, not some goofy size or super small, though nice, i want to be able to switch out batteries if need be with someone on the trail and would like to use my location and hold system...

'09, '11, '13 and 2014 King of the Hammers

[B][I]BUCK[/I] Wild Racing[/B]
Team 911

[B]Degenerate[/B]
Team 488

[B]O.G. "Wreckin' Crew"[/B]
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #108 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
but i want a "normal" size battery if you will, not some goofy size or super small, though nice, i want to be able to switch out batteries if need be with someone on the trail and would like to use my location and hold system...
I'd say probably the Odyssey PC1500, or Die Hard platinum P-1, PM-2 and P-4batteries are pretty close to the "standard" group 34 size that battery manufacturers are supposed to abide to, in terms of case size. They are AGMs which is good but if you ever need to swap out to a regular cheap battery, the vents on those batteries stick out the top and might conflict with mount tops made for specific AGM batteries. Optimas are all kinds of crazy different shaped than other batteries so optima mounts likely won't fit a Wally world battery.

1-855-ARTEC99
Like us on

Quick Links:

Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #109 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
If it is the same dims, you may want to rework a top bar so that it isn't pinching the corners of the battery when tightened down.
Yeah, we would definitely make a new top specifically for that battery if the existing one didn't match up perfectly. We did that on one of our mounts for a Deka that used the same base as an Odyssey, just the top was reworked to fit the Deka.

1-855-ARTEC99
Like us on

Quick Links:

Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
i have one exide blue top and it didn't last for crap.. i am currently in the market for two batteries..

i've had red top optimas for years.... and have seen their decline... so i am reluctant to get anything more from them..

I'm telling ya, get the Deka Intimidators. Batteries Plus sells them under their own X2 label. They kick ass and cost much less than an Odyssey or Die Hard Platinum.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 146478
Travis, it's never fun to admit when you haven't done a good job, but I don't have any problem owning up to the fact that I haven't done a good enough job of educating consumers about the difference between starting batteries and deep-cycle batteries. I've been on this site for about a year now and nearly every thread I participate in (including this one) has posts from people who are using starting batteries in deep-cycle applications. I obviously still have quite a bit of work to do.

Pook, to answer your question, we still use 99.99% pure lead, which is fairly standard in AGM batteries. MaxPF, I understand your displeasure with our new production facility and will certainly forward your feedback to the appropriate parties. ROB, I have not been with OPTIMA for ten years, but I have done contract work for them for several years. Living in Wisconsin, I've had a working relationship with some of their employees for even longer. I do appreciate everyone's feedback, both good and bad and I do pass it along. Speaking of feedback, ROB, we do collect stories on long-lasting Optimas, if you are interested in adding yours.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 11922
Thanks Max.. I will definetly look into them.. are those diehards sealed?

Team 911

[B]Degenerate[/B]
Team 488

Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #113 (permalink)
e

Member # 3709
I haven't run an Optima in more then 5 years....those red tops suck. I had an Odyssey 1200 (which was great) for 4 plus years but I want more reserve so I picked up a 1700. I recently put 2 of the Sears Platinum group 65s in my tow rig after reading the JR's new Bronco build-up thread.
e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 105353
Odyssey is the way to go.. or a opti
scyota92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 144519
While we are on the subject, anyone know of a way to completely seal a cheapie non sealed battery?
Hoov100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoov100 View Post
While we are on the subject, anyone know of a way to completely seal a cheapie non sealed battery?
Yeah, buy a non-cheapie AGM battery
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 11922
ok.. pulled the trigger today and went with Sears Diehard Platinums...

Why?

I couldn't find a Deka Intimidator dealer anywhere near me.. or any other knock off of them.. one place listed them that was an hour away.. but they were out of stock..

plus the diehard car platinum comes with a 4 year full replacement warrranty and an additional 4 year pro-rate on top of it... so 8 years total..

the diehard marine platinum was 3 year full replacement..

and sears is 5 minutes from my house.. and nationwide..

if i ordered one and had it shipped, it was nearly the same price as the diehard.. and the diehards have more cca and reserve capacity..

heading out this weekend to the hammers.. so they'll get tested quick..

Team 911

[B]Degenerate[/B]
Team 488

Last edited by Devil Dog; 11-18-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 4002
I've also heard about the newer optima's not lasting and being reliable like they used to. Just seems like there's too much chatter about it to just be myth.

I still run a yellow top from 2002 which has been drained more than a few times in its life from faulty wiring but so far it's always come back to life! I love that yellow top and hope it keeps on keep'n on.
herzog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Travis, it's never fun to admit when you haven't done a good job, but I don't have any problem owning up to the fact that I haven't done a good enough job of educating consumers about the difference between starting batteries and deep-cycle batteries. I've been on this site for about a year now and nearly every thread I participate in (including this one) has posts from people who are using starting batteries in deep-cycle applications. I obviously still have quite a bit of work to do.

Jim McIlvaine
You still ignore the fact that your new red top batteries can't even survive in a car or truck where OLD OEM batteries have been able to survive just fine and where your red top failed, even a cheap walmart everstart has no issues taking up the duty. We aren't even talking winching.

Back in the day (early 2000's and before) red tops handled winching duty just fine and yellow tops were kind of over the top in some ways.

The use of these batteries has NOT changed considerably for the average consumer over the years.

The milleage your batteries will do has. It's painfully obviously Optima chose to cut corners from their original design, and in doing so is riding on the coat tails of it's well earned reputation in order to sell batteries.

Just remember, those coat tails are wearing thread bear and will tear off soon.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 11-18-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 2395
Optima batteries have worked well for me for a long time. Our sport and the way we use our vehicles has changed a lot in the last 10 years. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to actually listed to the manufacturer and use the battery best suited to our particular application. Two yellow tops are sitting next to me waiting for their new home in my new ride.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
ok.. pulled the trigger today and went with Sears Diehard Platinums...

Why?

I couldn't find a Deka Intimidator dealer anywhere near me.. or any other knock off of them.. one place listed them that was an hour away.. but they were out of stock..
I had the same issue, which is why I got the Batteries Plus X2. It's just a relabled Deka Intimidator, but with better availability
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #122 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
actually bought a new yellow top and it's surprised me some. I was going dead in about a week, ran a deep low amp charge on it for few days then accidentally left the charger on and started the jeep and the battery started to smoke and got warm. Unhooked, let cool off recharged and it seems to be holding up well since.

But the first red top I bought in 95-96 for a toyota pickup in high school, ran it in my 84 XJ and in the 89 XJ until it finally died in 06-07. Got a new red top and it last till 09 and was fully dead. That's when i got the yellow top.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #123 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 51387
Send a message via Yahoo to Gravel Maker
Sorry to keep you guys waiting...

I will get someone out Monday morning and pick up a few Od's and a Platinum Diehard, can't have only 1 company making all the boxes!

We will make them all in single & double configurations, widthwise and lengthwise if the size warrants the need...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

......"The NEW Industry Standard"

Tech/Sales 916.600.1945

You can SAY anything, its what you DO that matters!
Gravel Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #124 (permalink)
OTR

Member # 20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
...But the first red top I bought in 95-96 for a toyota pickup in high school, ran it in my 84 XJ and in the 89 XJ until it finally died in 06-07.

Got a new red top and it last till 09 and was fully dead...

This is exactly the point that is being made in these Optima posts.

His old red top in several vehicles lasted 10-12 years. New red top 2 years.

The batteries from more than 5-6 years ago lasted much longer than the new ones. The new red tops suck, plain and simple.

For the record, and I believe I posted this in the other thread, my first red top I bought was manufactured under "Gylling Group" ownership. This battery was used in 2 different jeeps and far outlasted the several I purchased after it that were not manufactured under Gylling Group ownership.

My Optimas were in daily driven jeeps that did not have winches installed.

The customer service was a nightmare. After the 3rd died I never even tried to get it replaced, it went to the recycler. Been using Odyssey ever since and had no problems with a pc1200 and do winch now.

k.

Ultra4 #4427 - UFO Racing
Ultra4 #4643 - Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing

OTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #125 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Pook, to answer your question, we still use 99.99% pure lead, which is fairly standard in AGM batteries. MaxPF, I understand your displeasure with our new production facility and will certainly forward your feedback to the appropriate parties. ROB, I have not been with OPTIMA for ten years, but I have done contract work for them for several years.

Jim McIlvaine
Jim,

You are sorta missing the point here. Optima rep. is going down the tubes because of the exact reason I posted and other similar stories from others. You can claim nothing has changed but it's obvious they are not lasting as long as they once did.

Rather then trying to claim nothing has changed, I would go back to your process and figure out what did change and why they are not lasting.

That is if you want the rep. back.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in