WTF am I doing... 4x4 conversion. Take 3. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Harris View Post
Well fuck you photobucket!
Anyway, it's done. Used a push button BW1356 and it's great.
Been working on the interior lately and will probably be doing the engine pretty soon. Runs fine but it could use a freshing up.
Probably going to change the trans to an E4OD for the overdrive as this this sucks gas and really revs out on the freeway.
I have a E4OD wiring harness and the ECU form a 91 F150 so I can keep the SD injection, and control the trans with all stock ford parts.
I'll find a new photo hosting site at some point and post some pics to show off.
I'm about to do the same swap, I'd like to see your pics.

I'm also going from 91 351/c6 to a 89 351/e4od, I liked over the schematics, looks very plug and play.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 177953
I wouldn't call it plug and play but so long as you are competent doing wiring it's not too bad.
You will need to write your own complete pin out of the ECU and you may run into some differences in the emissions equipment between model years that you will.have to address to get the idiot lights off.
Levi Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 177953
Bedliner cures all... fucked up rockers...
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Harris View Post
I wouldn't call it plug and play but so long as you are competent doing wiring it's not too bad.
You will need to write your own complete pin out of the ECU and you may run into some differences in the emissions equipment between model years that you will.have to address to get the idiot lights off.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of sd/mass, I'm pretty sure both of mine are sd, 89 and 91, I didn't think trucks got mass until 96 or 97 and it was an odd cali thing

Cool rig btw!
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 177953
I had posted this on another forum.
The one thing I can say is to go through both pin outs and check each circuit one by one for different equipment.

We'll, I got around to getting the transmission in. Haven' touched the motor yet.
The E4OD over drive really helped out. Getting 11 mpg at 65 mpg. Might be a bit to be had just yet as the tires are a bit low and the idiot light is on for some emissions codes.
I had to use the computer from a 91 F150 with SD to get the transmission to run and the 91 has a canister purge valve where the 88 doesn't. Lucky for me I have the parts from my pile to address this. Just need to install it and clear the codes again.
I was more focused on getting the transmission sorted out and running. Now that is done I'll fix the other little stuff and see what happens.
I'm really impressed with the C6 to E4OD swap though. Shifts a little soft but the timing/load is spot on. No hunting between gears or undesirable behavior.
Not an easy swap though... I had to a lot of harness surgery to make it work which requires writing my own schematic and pin out as ford changed the color code in 90 or 91.
I used the transmissin harness from a 93 F150 that I took apart at the ecu plug, the OD cancel switch, etc... I ended up ordering a bunch of ecu pins and some custom striped wire to pull it off. It turned out really well, its all factory quality wire with no indications that it didn't leave the factory that way.
The linkage was a bit of a pain too but as the two use different systems but I was able to figure out the right travel ratios in the linkage to make it play nice. The tough part is that the C6 and E4OD have different gear location through the sweep. It' the degrees between the gears that is slightl different but the total sweep is the same. So, the solution was to alter the linkage at both ends of the shift rod to build in an exponital. In a nut shell, the first bit of sweep between park, neutral and drive moves the selector fewer degrees than at the far end where drive, second and first are which it moves more.
If you've ever played with model airplanes You'll know what I'm talking about with mechanical exponital. Electronic is just soon much easier...
Anyway, it's not a weekend swap but in my application it's totally worth it.
I'll probably start building a new engine in a few months. Expensive and slow going but I'm pretty sure that it' going to be a fun project.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 177953
And...

I just did a 88 351 C6 to E4OD. This is not an easy swap...
Mechanically its not too bad but the linkage is completely different and I had to make some linkage hardware, not too tough if you can do fab work. The C6 has a shift Rob, the E4OD was cable actuated.
It's the electronic parts... I took a computer from a 91 F150, the transmission from a 96 Bronco and then most of the harness from a 93? (I forgot...might have been a 94) F150. Did a complete pin out for the two and repinned my original plug with all the stuff for the E4OD harness. Had to get some custom printed wire (color and stripe) and make a few splices on the original harness.
For the most part it was pretty straight forward but I did have to add a canister*purge*valve*to satisfy the Check engine light... my 88 didn't have one, although that plug did exsist in my original harness, the computer wasn' looking for it. Not so with the later computer and it actually has to sense the coil in the valve as a dummy plug wouldn't work either.
I believe the 460 version is nearly the same as far as wiring to the factory computer. Get both pin outs and go through them both, you may get lucky as well. All of the different ECC pins used by the E4OD wherent occpied on the original ECC in my case. You will have to very, very carefully trim out the blue plastic plug plate that goes to the ECC plug unless you want to swap that too, which would require a complete disassembly of the ECC plug.
Good luck! It's totally worth it and doable with nothing but factory parts.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 177953
And.... so with the C6 I averaged 8mpg.

Well, trans is sorted... sorta... tires aired up I got 11-12 mpg between sacramento, CA and Camp Verde, AZ.*
There be some pretty good hills between the two. It's safe to say, needs more torque.*
A little more punch at 1800 RPM and it'll pull those hills without downshifting out of the overdrive.
I have a little front torque convertor seal leak so i have to pull that SOB yet again. And I'm gonna put the shift kit in. The slip between gears while climbing really heats the trans up fast. Other then that I'm really pleased with the E4OD. The ratios are spot on for my set up.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 836354
Sweet! So did you provide the rear diff or not? What gearing did you go with? I have the same van ('90 Fiesta) but have the E40D already. Would like to see if Agile will do the same for me. They had no issue doing just the front end fab work for you? The wheel pattern is the same on the 50 TTB and the van right? 8x6.5, so you could have left the old rims on it for you trip to SD? How much cross member mod does it take to clear with the TTB? Did you clock your t-case for more clearance?

Oh, BTW. There is a google chrome patch that allows seeing photobucket photos, at least for now..

Thanks for sharing. Awesome!
shannos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 760185
Awsome van. Hope there's more updates.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
ddonohue15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 136689
bump
BigBob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 99065
Levi, that is a cool rig, after enjoying my first Van (2wd) I have been trying to convince my Wife we need a 4x4 adventure van, since you got the ttb for 500 I think I might have a chance now. How did the motor turn out ?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #62 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
nice build... def need more photos!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carslut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 54654
Bump to see if he comes back after a year...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in