Audi Project: Expedition Allroad - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Finally reached the point where we could tear into the Audi and remove the engine. It definitely wasnít easy, but after 7-8 hours, we got it out. The key phrase of the day was, ď****ing Audi...Ē followed by some head scratching. Luckily my buddy is pretty familiar with this engine in B5 S4s, but there was just enough different on the A6/Allroad platform that there were plenty of head scratching snags to tend with. Iím just glad this this was a Southern California car, and with the exception of some of the exhaust hardware, most everything came apart without too much hassle. That being said, I think the impact wrench saved us at least an hour when all was said and done. This is my first time doing anything this involved on a car that wasnít old and American (therefore, extremely simple), so it was an awesome learning experience.

Anyway, onto the pictures! First, we had to reposition the car to get better access to the passenger side (need to remove the axles to clear the transmission later on). We threw on a set of B6 S4 18" wheels that my buddy had lying around to move it, and with the air suspension totally flat, the Allroad was properly slammed to the ground:

Front bumper off:

Front carrier off next, A/C fan and condenser intact to save for later without having to recharge the system:

Took off one of the covers and found part of the shredded timing belt:

I pretty much forgot to take any pictures whatsoever for the next 2 hours or so when it came time to remove the connections to the ECU. It turns out on the A6/Allroads, Audi put an anti-tampering case on it, meaning we would either have to drill out the bolts or cut the cover on the harness to get it off. We didnít bother with either, and just decided to pull the ECU out with the engine intact for the time being:

Iíll have to drill those out at another time, but we just wanted to get the engine out. With the axles out and everything else seemingly ready, we hooked up the hoist:

And after messing around with getting the AC compressor and lines out intact, disconnecting the shifter linkage and finding a few things here and there that we forgot to unhook (like draining and disconnecting the power steering lines, and one ****ing ground strap that was holding us back that took forever to find), the engine finally came out:

This motor mount had completely let go, despite being unbolted from underneath, which was pretty funny. 165k miles will do that, I suppose:

And there we have it:

Continued...

Last edited by ExDementia; 01-03-2017 at 10:58 AM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 146415
And the colossal mess to clean up after the fact:

Other misc. shots of parts and things to save:

This coming week weíll be swapping all the parts needed from the old engine to the new, mating up the transmission, and if everything goes to plan, dropping the new motor in by the weekend. Fingers crossed we donít run into too many snags that will prevent me from having it running this time next week (not likely)!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Hurry up, I am looking forward to seeing this thing go off-road.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Hurry up, I am looking forward to seeing this thing go off-road.
Hah, you and me both, buddy.

Ordered up some new axles. Can't beat RockAuto:

Last edited by ExDementia; 01-05-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 146415

This is what turbos look like when you go offroading in sand and clay. Now you know. Anyway, got the new turbos bolted up, and man was it a pain in the ass. Audi really knows how to make life miserable with their incredibly tight packaging.

Just look at this mess:

Unfortunately I didnít take any better pictures than that, these were mostly for reference, and updating here was an afterthought. As you can see in the last picture, one of the bolts holing on that turbo isnít correct, thatís a triple square bolt for the axle just there temporarily due to one of the bolts from the old turbos being effectively welded to the manifold, and broke an allen bit trying to get it out. So Iím just ordering a new bolt.

I did remember to take a picture of the bumper, though, to show how shredded this thing is:

Yeah... itís lived a hard life. There may be a custom fabbed solution in the future for the bumper, but for now itís still intact, so sheíll have to do.

Next steps are to scavenge a few more miscellaneous parts from the old engine, then pull off the transmission, take the new engine off the stand to do the clutch/flywheel, mate up the transmission, swap the ECU and full harness from the old engine, cry for a while at all my time spent on this thing, and then it will be time to drop the engine in the car!

Edit: Oh yeah, and the axles came. They look pretty damn high quality for only being $115. Still keeping the OEM ones as spares, so weíll see how they hold up off road.

Last edited by ExDementia; 01-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 146415
I thought swapping the wiring harness and ECU would be more of a *****, but it actually wasnít too bad. We had to swap it because the wiring for the Allroad had some differences from the S4 harness, and I didnít want to find out that I needed to swap it over later when everything was hooked up in the car. Better safe than sorry.

Itís too bad, because the harness on the S4 was in a bit better shape. Oh well.

S4 harness off:

A rare look at this engine with all the wiring removed (looks so nice and clean):

And then Poof! Like magic, the harness appears:

Since the S4 engine doesnít have the secondary air injection, and we found out that the auxiliary coolant pump was deleted (more hassle than itís worth, so when they start to leak, people just rip them out and bypass them), Iíll need to cap off some connections, and then get a tune to exclude the SAI, otherwise it throws a code.

Also swapped over a few last needed things from the old engine like one of the cam position sensors, a coolant temp sensor, and what ever else. Next step is to disconnect the trans from the old engine and mate it up to the new one, and then it will be ready to drop in this weekend!

If all goes well, the Expedition Allroad will be running by Sunday. Weíll see!
Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 82644
My hat off to you. I'm watching this build. This is so complex for an expedition rig I can't imagine fixing anything outside a shop. I know I had a '99 A4 with a PES supercharger.

Good luck and can't wait to see you on the dirt!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Good looking build, it will definitely be great for long camping trips.
I'm also looking forward to see how capable it is off road.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 146415
After about 9-10 hours of work, the engine is in. Itís not really hooked up to much, but itís on its own mounts, so Iím counting it. Man this thing is a tight fit...

Started off taking the last few things we needed from the other engine and getting everything ready. Cleaned up the timing belt covers, which ended up being a mix between ones from both the new and the old engine (theyíre kinda brittle), threw on the rest of the accessory belt pulleys, and then cleaned and hooked up the inlet pipes.

Then separated the transmission from the old engine, which was a pain in the ass:

Still had the OEM stamped clutch at 165k miles. Not too shabby. Luckily the transmission is light enough to move by hand with two people, so we set it aside to change the slave cylinder (the boot had disintegrated on mine, luckily my buddy had a spare), the throwout bearing, and lubed up the engagement fork:

Hey, another nice shot of the old, shredded timing belt:

New clutch and flywheel on:

After transferring the old engine off to its new home on a few blocks in the back of the garage and mounting the new engine on the hoist, came the extreme hassle of mating the new engine to the transmission. This took at least an hour in itself, with some careful maneuvering of two floor jacks and many, many expletives:

Luckily we remembered the bell housing spacer, which I probably wouldnít have even noticed on the old engine if my buddy hadnít pointed it out and told of some horror stories of his friends who forgot it before. No thanks, I only want to do this once.

After that we hooked up the downpipes, O2 sensors, crank position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, and everything else that Iím forgetting:

We also took a little bit of time to get the harness sorted out and made sure all the mess of cables was routed somewhat correctly for when we attach everything to the firewall, as rerouting these things when the engine is in is a much bigger pain in the ass than when its out.

Time to drop the new engine in! People always say it like that, like itís as simple as just setting in, but itís a fucking pain. It was probably in the mid 50į range in an open carport, and I was still sweating by the end of it. No wonder you have to pull the engine for every little service...

And that is how we left it. Now we just need to hook everything up, which is just way too much crap to list, and will probably be another day in itself, but we should probably have it running by next weekend, barring any big road blocks. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 17417
I'm pretty excited to see this on pirate. I've been an Audi tech for a while. I've done just about everything you can do to these over the years. They really aren't that bad once you get used to them. Also, reliability can be very good if you fix the few troublesome features of the 2.7. I've actually adapted the 2.7 to a GM transmission to put in my jeep (and whatever else I decide to shove it in). to say I'm obsessed with that 2.7 is a bit of an understatement. I'll be following this thread. I'll be in the hunt for a new daily soon and have yet to own an allroad, though I've owned no less than 20 other Audi's. Maybe this will nudge me to do the same!
rockcandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 17417
Also, there is zero comparison to an outback and this. This is way more comfortable, more power/torque, more interior space, better build quality etc.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcandy View Post
I'm pretty excited to see this on pirate. I've been an Audi tech for a while. I've done just about everything you can do to these over the years. They really aren't that bad once you get used to them. Also, reliability can be very good if you fix the few troublesome features of the 2.7. I've actually adapted the 2.7 to a GM transmission to put in my jeep (and whatever else I decide to shove it in). to say I'm obsessed with that 2.7 is a bit of an understatement. I'll be following this thread. I'll be in the hunt for a new daily soon and have yet to own an allroad, though I've owned no less than 20 other Audi's. Maybe this will nudge me to do the same!
Thanks man!

Dude, you put a 2.7 in a Jeep? Have build thread on that? I would love to see that!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 146415
After bringing it home three months ago (almost to the day), the Expedition Allroad is moving under its own power, and it (mostly) does so quite well.

After setting the engine in last weekend, we still needed to do quite a bit. We through on the new axles, both intercoolers, charge pipes, accessory belt and fan, hooked up all the coolant lines, the clutch line and bled the clutch, the Y-pipe up top, the airbox, routed all the vacuum lines as needed, added fluids, etc.

New axles in and looking nice and pertty:

Since we had to use the timing belt covers from the S4 engine (the Allroad ones broke apart when the timing belt shredded), the grommets and bolt holes for the charge pipes didnít line up. They sit slightly lower on the S4 motor, so instead of forcing them down and potentially cut themselves up on the frame rails, we just let them sit how they wanted to. Theyíre pretty secure there, so I donít foresee any issues.

You can see the tabs on the bottom of the charge pipes where they wanted to sit here:

This is what $100 in fluids looks like:

Once we got everything back together and ready to go, we left the ECU unhooked and cranked the motor over for about 10 seconds to get oil flowing everywhere that hasnít received oil in a while, namely the turbos which have been out of a car for at least 8 years now (sitting oiled in a box). Then we hooked the ECU up and tried to fire it up.

After about 5 seconds of cranking, it fired right up, but quickly died. We figured we might have flooded it after cranking it without the ECU for so long, so we let it sit for about 15 minutes and cleaned up a bit. When we tried it again it fired up almost immediately, but again died out just as quick.

Hereís a quick video of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLsd...ature=youtu.be

So we went and checked, double checked, and then triple checked just about every connection we could think of and found nothing. We noticed a blinking light of a car with a little key, and figured that was the dreaded immobiliser light. I immediately thought this had something to do with the fact that I removed the cluster to work on it (never actually replaced the LCD), so we were googling around for solutions.

After reading through a few forum threads, I found one where a guy said he just replaced the battery in the key and it fired right up. We didnít think it would work, but we decided to grab the spare key and try that. Sure enough, it fired right up and ran smooth.

It is making some sort of clicking noise from the very front, which we think is the mechanical fan, as itís cracked in some places and visibly wobbly, but other than that it runs awesome. We took it around the neighborhood to test everything out, and it pulls as strong as 250hp should in a car that weighs just over two tons.

A few issues that need to be addressed:
  • That (possible) fan noise
  • The turn signal stalk has an issue that causes a very, very annoying noise (fairly common on these)
  • The tire rub is pretty bad on tight turns
  • The check engine light is on until I get a tune that will exclude the deleted SAI
Other than that, Iím just going to drive it for a while and get things sorted out before I even think of offroading it. I need to sort out the tire rub (probably some trimming and a larger spacer), and I NEED a good skid plate before doing anything off the pavement. The oil pan and filter are waaayy too vulnerable as they sit right now, completely unprotected.

More updates as they come...
Old 01-24-2017, 03:04 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 723890
What about some weight loss?
Klouczech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 182717
Nice to see it back together on the road!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klouczech View Post
What about some weight loss?
Lol, once I add the roof rack, full size spare, skid plates, recovery gear, and probably some custom fabbed bumpers down the road this thing will be an even heavier pig than it is.

From what I can find online, the 6-speed 2.7 models actually weigh a little over 3900lbs, so actually a bit less than I thought it would, but still fucking heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage. View Post
Nice to see it back together on the road!
Thanks man! I'm stoked to be driving it. Still a fair amount to sort out though.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Gave it a nice wash after sitting in its own filth and dust for months. Cleans up pretty nice, doesnít it? Still some things to sort out functionally and cosmetically, so for now itís being relegated to DD/mall crawler status until I sort out the tire rub situation and some skid plates.

Need to buff out those horribly sandblasted headlights, replace some worn interior trim, fix the ridiculous turn signal noise (ordered a new turn stalk and hazard light switch/relay), and I think I might need a new power steering pump.

Also, the previous owner said he had done the 402 air suspension mod (a readjustment to the leveling software in VCDS), but from what Iím reading it doesnít seem like he did, since the front seems to sit a bit lower than the rear with the IPP sensor arms. Iíll have to play around with that a bit, but a legit VCDS is kind of expensive. Iíve got a friend with one that will let me borrow it, but thatís not a long term solution.

The good news is that the engine is running awesome, the transmission shifts beautifully (linkage might need a little adjustment for reverse), and itís not throwing any unexpected codes.

You know what my lady said when she first rode in it this weekend?

ďWow, Iím surprised it works...Ē

Thanks for the confidence, babe...

Last edited by ExDementia; 01-24-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
fucking love that look. awesome rig, look forward to following it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
fucking love that look. awesome rig, look forward to following it.
Thank you!

Just ordered one of those ultra cheap-ass license plate light bar mounts:

23'' Bull Bar Front Bumper License Plate Mount Bracket Holder Offroad LED Light | eBay

$22 shipped. It will probably be a piece of crap, but for that cheap, I figure why not try it out. Not sure whether I want to go with a light bar or a more old school round offroad light look. Maybe some cheap Hella 500s or something would look cool and be functional.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
nice project, i have a soft spot for these cars. been thinking of selling one of my TT's to make room for an allroad. Keep up the good work

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
nice project, i have a soft spot for these cars. been thinking of selling one of my TT's to make room for an allroad. Keep up the good work
Thank you! A clean, well taken care of example would make a really comfy road trip car. Not a reliable car, but a nice one, haha. Parts haven't been as bad as I expected them to be though, so that's nice.

Finally threw on the last bits of trim, the snorkel for the airbox, the ripped up fender liners, and did some clearancing with the olí BFH. Tires still rub, though.

When reversing with the wheels cranked, the tires caught this little fender bracket and pulled it out, causing some annoying rub, so I bent the bottom back with some pliers and then went to work with a hammer to make sure it didnít happen again. Also pushed it back a bit to give a little more room. Still more work to be done before the tires are free and clear though.

Before (crappy shot, I know):

And after:

Of course now thatís covered with the fender liners anyway, but it helped. Longterm I will be either trimming or relocating that bracket further forward.

And then hereís my temporary solution to that terrible blinker noise. The relay in the hazard switch was going nuts (due to a bad switch in the turn stalk, weirdly enough), so I just removed it. Both the hazard switch/relay and the stalk go bad on these, so I just ordered both. Only $43 shipped for both, so I figured why not just get them and be done with it.

Taking apart the steering wheel and trim should be a fun project...

Oh, and ordered up some Hella 500s to mount on the bumper:

Thatís it for now while I wait on parts. Just driving it around, trying to put miles on it and weed out any issues from the swap, but so far so good!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 17417
If you haven't taken care of that fan yet, hurry up. I've seen plenty of them grenade and take out the radiator. I'll dig up a pic of the engine mated up to the GM trans. It's been a long time goal of mine. I haven't installed it in a jeep. I originally wanted to do it for my jeep yet ended up sticking it in my s4. Now I'm going back to my original plan and installing it in the jeep.

Last edited by rockcandy; 01-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 17417
Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Jesus, anymore details or pics of that engine? That is one massive turbo you've got there.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 17417
I have a ton of pics. It is a big turbo. The goal was 1k to the tires. It will obviously be toned down in turbo selection for the jeep but it will probably still be in the 500whp range. I'll have to get some up when I'm not on my phone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in