Australian OKA 4x4 drivetrain swap - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 218314
Thanks ProjectJunkie, we call them 'drop bears' over here... (google it!) Yeah, looked at it but not keen on the NV4500 for reasons stated above... "By the time i buy the parts, sell my parts the others with t-cases make a similar case and if i ever sell the vehicle people will most probably blindly go for a 6spd over 5 anyday... (I'm not planning on it but things happen). Also, for towing a 6 spd would be a bit easier!"

Driver side drop for the front axle not an option as i just built a beefy D70 front a couple of years ago and not really keen to tear that apart again! I can do the work but just not that keen... Much easier for me to just flip one of the newer cases. Although based on length and that they have an oil pump i think i've decided to just use my nice, simple and compact GM figure 8 small input bore NP205 and adapt to whatever comes...

I think the G56 and ZF6 (from a GM, without oil pump and cooler!) would both be fine behind my power plant i'll be maxed out at 9,000kg (20,000lb) including trailer while starting at 230Hp but might get up to 400Hp max one day... so both should handle that i think??? i would go a NV5600 but they sound hard to get, have overheating problems apparently??? and are pretty heavy!

Anyone out there got the length of the ZF6 (4x4) and/or NV5600 by any chance, keen to rule them in or out...?

Moose, didn't realise you got on here very often... you still progressing with yours? or maybe not considering you're selling you parts? were you going down the path of the ZF6, i thought you were doing an allison for some reason? I don't think your plate will fit my earlier engine, mine's a 12 valve...

Cheers, al

Last edited by al128; 05-14-2018 at 04:39 AM.
al128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 161000
Quote:
Originally Posted by al128 View Post
Thanks ProjectJunkie. Yeah, looked at it but not keen on the NV4500 for reasons stated above... "By the time i buy the parts, sell my parts the others with t-cases make a similar case and if i ever sell the vehicle people will most probably blindly go for a 6spd over 5 anyday... (I'm not planning on it but things happen). Also, for towing a 6 spd would be a bit easier!"

Driver side drop for the front axle not an option as i just built a beefy D70 front a couple of years ago and not really keen to tear that apart again! I can do the work but just not that keen... Much easier for me to just flip one of the newer cases. Although based on length and that they have an oil pump i think i've decided to just use my nice, simple and compact GM figure 8 small input bore NP205 and adapt to whatever comes...

I think the G56 and ZF6 (from a GM, without oil pump and cooler!) would both be fine behind my power plant i'll be maxed out at 9,000kg (20,000lb) including trailer while starting at 230Hp but might get up to 400Hp max one day... so both should handle that i think??? i would go a NV5600 but they sound hard to get, have overheating problems apparently??? and are pretty heavy!

Anyone out there got the length of the ZF6 (4x4) and/or NV5600 by any chance, keen to rule them in or out...?

Moose, didn't realise you got on here very often... you still progressing with yours? or maybe not considering you're selling you parts? were you going down the path of the ZF6, i thought you were doing an allison for some reason? I don't think your plate will fit my earlier engine, mine's a 12 valve...

Cheers, al
Been finished for a couple of years, all engineered etc, had fuel pressure issues which we knew what i was and fixed it easily, was just the engine sitting for years.
I have got the Allison in mine, works well behind the cummins, gets a bit warm when in low range and working hard or towing heavy, but i just got a bigger trans cooler to add into the system, that will solve it.
Done about 30k klms and had no issues what so ever apart from the ones mentioned. Haven't found a cruiser that could keep up yet.
Moose2367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 218314
oh ok, thought things were going slow for a while didn't realise you'd finished... Awesome! Yours is a beast, you should show some pics of it for everyone here to see what one of the best 4wd's in the world looks like! If i were keen on electronics i'd do the 6.7 with an allison too, awesome combo!

And yeah, cruisers are slower, les capable, more expensive to buy and run, and use more juice...!!!

(i'll ask again! lol) Anyone out there got the length of the ZF6 (4x4) and/or NV5600 by any chance, keen to rule them in or out...?

cheers, al

Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 218314
Hi all, i'm sure this info would help a few people out there make some decisions on drivetrain...

Does anyone out there have the length of the ZF6 (4x4) and/or NV5600 by any chance, keen to rule them in or out...? It wouldn't take long to go out to your truck and measure...?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 218314
Hey guys, this is my truck:
[IMG]DSCN4098 by al, on Flickr[/IMG]

Doing a drivetrain swap to a 6bt and looking at transmission options... Wondering what the length of the ZF6 (4x4) and/or NV5600 is so i can rule them in or out of the equation. Can anyone help here?

Cheers, al

Last edited by al128; 05-17-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 218314
Hi all, since i haven't gotten much extra info on the other options length wise i figure i may as well just go with the G56 since it will do the job, it's lighter than the NV5600 and doesn't have an oil cooler like the ZF6...

Does anyone know a good supplier of a G56, either new or reliably rebuilt?

Cheers, al

Last edited by al128; 05-20-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 218314
ok, just if anyone else is interested i found out the ZF6 is 32" (812mm) and the G56 is 29" (737mm) or this is what i'm told.

Happy to go either way and adapt my passenger drop (driver drop in australia) NP205.

A couple of questions, if anyone knows:
- The ZF (out of a Ford) needs a cooler, usually its run through a radiator oil cooler circuit, i don't have one. Has anyone run an auxiliary oil cooler on one, would this keep it too cool?

- Anyone know of a decent rebuilt trans supplier of either the ZF6 or G56, or a decent wrecker?

cheers, al
Old 07-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 218314
Update - ended up going with a different 6 spd ZF box that was used in european trucks, will post pics when bolted together.

Wondering if anyone has a wrecked RAM 6bt lying around and are willing to sell the following parts off the engine?
- A/C, coolant port, alternator all-in-one bracket (looks like the 6.7 may be the same bracket?)
- Fan hub pulley and spindle?
- Alternator top bracket?
See pic of what i'm after below:
6bt parts wanted by al, on Flickr

I'm also after this thermostat housing?
Thermostat housing needed by al, on Flickr

I've tried guys on ebay in the states but no reply, they don't usually like the hassle of shipping to here... If anyone can help that would be awesome!

cheers, al

Last edited by al128; 07-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in