Gm van IFS 4wd conversions - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Random thoughts and updates

There's a 20+ page thread about gm awd vans on expedition portal, the consensus is all awd gm vans are 6 lug, 5.3 4l60e with a 7.2" front diff

The gmt800 1500 stuff is all 8.25" front diff, so it's nice to know I'm building in an upgrade for my troubles vs buying a 1500 awd.

I went looking for longer t bars to clear the t case with a stock ish x member, no luck yet, tho 97-03 f150, gmt 400 and gmt 800 bars are all pretty much interchangeable for different rates

I thought the awd vans may have longer bars to clear the t case, but now I think that they may just be 54" truck bars that happen to clear the smaller 4l60e

The pass side diff mounting could be a pain in the ass, but I think I've got a solution. Need some tape measure time.

My rear diff is a goofy d60 variant with no locker options.
If I were to ditch the diff for a super duty, I may have no vss, so people looking to buy and build a sas van may want to cherry pick their years and build codes.

But, this may also eliminate the abs light issues in 4lo, as the front and rear sensors all match, but maybe not

This is fine for my low buck light duty build, and I believe the abs offers some spin control

The work around, I believe is a 2007+ 2500hd diff with factory g80 and 2 speed sensors, but they are $800+ in salvage yards, so budget for that, or DIY machine work
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP2015 View Post
Most likely it was Clydesdale ("sportsman4x4" in Kamloops, BC; see post above) or a home-made one-off.

2500HD LCAs fit a 2500/3500 van, so no reason the use 1500 pickup parts unless you need to. But a pickup truck lift kit subframe won't fit because the left-right spacing is different on a van (see post above). Of course you could modify it, but when you're done you'll probably realize it would have been better to build one from scratch.
It was a super clean install on a tour company van, in going with professional conversion

You've mentioned the hd arms on the vans, but my gmt800 2500hd arms have probably an extra 4" between the front and rear bushings, but the 1500 arms are a perfect fit. All the stuff I've measured, van, 1500 and 2500 trucks are same dimensions from left to right, center to center, lower bj to lower bj

If these 1500 arms are wrong, I won't know till it hits the alignment rack
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 35307
I've never put a tape measure on them but the GMT400 (late 90's-early00's) are narrower at the pivot, and probably are what quigley used as those parts would have been much more available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LCAC_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 52361
The 1500 truck LCAs appear equally strong as the 3500 van parts, the 2500hd LCAs have a larger spread, maybe more webbing in between, but I wouldn't call the 1500 LCAs weak by any stretch. They are the same pn as the awd vans.

As for pivot dimensions, the Stanley says it's good.
I'll measure the gmt400 for reference.

I realized I hadn't thought of the backside of unit bearing to backside of UB measurement, possibly requiring spacers between the spindle and UB, I'll look into this.

The van hub, spindle to rotor is 1/4" wider than 2500hd. If this poses a problem, I'll add a spacer under the rotor hat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in